Cheapskate's guide to visiting the Twin Cities

RodentRampage

Reaction score
If you're looking for something while coming up to the Twin Cities for a game, here are some cheap ideas.

Minnehaha Falls, a 53 ft waterfall in Minneapolis. Parking can be a little limited, but the park is on a light rail stop.

falls.jpg

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden at the Walker Art Museum. While there is admission to the Walker, there is no admission fee to the Sculpture Garden. The Spoonbridge and Cherry is the most well-known of the sculptures. At Vikings games when they want to show some Minneapolis scenery, they often show it.

Sculpture.JPG

Admission is free to Minneapolis Institute of Art. They have an extensive collection, including a large ancient art collection.

ArtMuseum.jpg

And of course, there's the Mall of America. If you just want to see a really big mall, there's no charge for that. How much you spend there is your problem.

Anyone else have an ideas that visitors might want to see, whether or not it is cheap?

Stone Arch Bridge, in downtown Mpls. Free, of course.

Another, similar-ish one to that, would be the "floating bridge" in the Guthrie theater. I don't believe you need a ticket to a show in order to enter the theater and go out to this viewpoint.

Como Zoo,

near each other the following:
Bike Rental on the Greenway
Lock and Dam #1
Stone Arch Bridge
view from Canitlever Deck at the Guthrie is free.
Mill City Museum pretty cheap

Stone Arch Bridge, in downtown Mpls. Free, of course.

Another, similar-ish one to that, would be the "floating bridge" in the Guthrie theater. I don't believe you need a ticket to a show in order to enter the theater and go out to this viewpoint.

Stole my thunder
:)

If you're at Minnehaha Falls, stop by Sea Salt Eatery. Great outdoor dining on moderately-priced seafood, plus beer.

Surly Brewing, 520 Malcom Avenue, Mpls., near the Campus. Huge, fun, good food and beer.

St. Paul Oktoberfest at Schmidt Brewery Artists Lofts, 900 7th Street W., St Paul

Foshay observation deck - cheap, unique, and fun. Easy to combine with the stone arch bridge to get a great feel for downtown without spending much.

I'll second the Minneapolis Institute of Art. Went last year for the first time and was blown away.

And the Stone Arch bridge is very cool, as well.

JTG

If you're at Minnehaha Falls, stop by Sea Salt Eatery. Great outdoor dining on moderately-priced seafood, plus beer.

Surly Brewing, 520 Malcom Avenue, Mpls., near the Campus. Huge, fun, good food and beer.

St. Paul Oktoberfest at Schmidt Brewery Artists Lofts, 900 7th Street W., St Paul

If you are by Lake Nokomis on Cedar Avenue, you can go to Fat Lorenzo's for Italian grub, or further down the road to 5-8 Club the birthplace of the "Juicy Lucy" burgers for a reasonable price. Both of these establishment are where the local yokels go to.

Then, enjoy a nice walk around Lake Nokomis.

Top Bottom