Gophers' passing game working around defenses' focus on Tyler Johnson

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Beyond the impact of what Autman-Bell’s sensational grab meant to the Gophers’ 2-0 start this season is what it could mean for the development of the U’s offense.

In both of the first two games, Fresno State and South Dakota State paid extra attention, including double teams, to Tyler Johnson, the U’s all-Big Ten selection in 2018. Johnson was limited to two receptions for 27 yards (and two drops) in the season opener and four grabs for 71 yards last week.

After setting the U’s single-season record with 12 touchdowns in 2018, Johnson is still scoreless this year.

The Gophers (2-0) want opposing defenses to feel like it’s a pick-your-poison scenario with how they cover receivers. When Johnson has been covered, Bateman has had big days to lead the receiver corps. He had five receptions for 132 yards and a touchdown against South Dakota State and then seven grabs for 105 yards and another TD against Fresno State.

https://www.winonadailynews.com/col...cle_78824346-a61b-5268-b4c2-e3b87102348f.html

Go Gophers!!

Let's go with four wideouts on some formations. Let's throw the ball 25 times a game. Our most explosive players are wide receivers and it would also open things up for the run.

So, if it is that easy to shut down Gopher receivers with double teams, I'm assuming Rondale Moore is having a terrible season, right? Poor guy.

This isn't a knock on Johnson. He is already one of my all-time favorite Gophers. I'm just saying he is an NFL talent, so the team should be able to adjust to double teams and still keep him productive. Nobody thought to double team him last year?

Let's go with four wideouts on some formations. Let's throw the ball 25 times a game. Our most explosive players are wide receivers and it would also open things up for the run.

Don't forget the TEs.

Top Bottom