SI: Ranking the Most Bizarre Coach Quotes of This Century (#5. Fleck, Minnesota)

On his radio show this week, Fleck was asked by Mike Grimm to compare the triple-option offenses run by Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern.

He said - and I quote - "They're different in the same way."

At that point, I had to turn off the car stereo and head into the gym to cover a volleyball match, so I didn't get to hear the rest of the answer. And now I'm wondering just what the bleep he meant.

SON-

Fleck went on to explain that Georgia Tech ran a veer based option, while Georgia Southern runs a zone based option attack. So while they both run option, they scheme it in a different way. He kind of hesitated and did not really explain anymore as to not go too "inside baseball" with the listeners. It was almost as if he was admitting the explanation would be too in-the-weeds and not make for an entertaining discussion with the hosts and listeners.

I for one, would love in intricate breakdown of the differences in the two schemes, but that is just me.

Last edited:

SON-

Fleck went on to explain that Georgia Tech ran a veer based option, while Georgia Southern runs a zone based option attack. So while the both run option, the scheme it in a different way. He kind of hesitated and did not really explain anymore as to not go too "inside baseball" with the listeners. It was almost as if he was admitting the explanation would be too in- the-weeds and not make for an entertaining discussion with the hosts and listeners.

I for one, would love in intricate breakdown of the differences in the two schemes, but that is just me.
Just ask any GS fan, they'll be happy to explain it to you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I am one of the people who believe PJ was correct with his drawing. The arrow points up to area off of the sheet.
Success beyond the canvas of what we feel is attainable!

On his radio show this week, Fleck was asked by Mike Grimm to compare the triple-option offenses run by Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern.

He said - and I quote - "They're different in the same way."

At that point, I had to turn off the car stereo and head into the gym to cover a volleyball match, so I didn't get to hear the rest of the answer. And now I'm wondering just what the bleep he meant.

Sounds like you interpreted it as "compare Georgia Tech's offense to Georgia Southern's". He must have interpreted it as "compare Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern's offenses to the Gophers". I didn't hear the question, so I don't know how it was intended.

Sport writers clearly can't come up with entertaining stories to write.

On the radio show or his press conference PJ did say GT and GSU's offenses need to be defended a bit differently, but wasn't going to go into details (gameplan) days before the game.

based on PJ's graph. might be a down year for the Gophers. BIG West champs in 2024!

2016 Minnesota 9-4 (pre Fleck)
2017 Minnesota 5–7
2018 Minnesota 7–6
2019 Minnesota 6-7
2020 Minnesota 8-5
2021 Minnesota 7-6
2022 Minnesota 9-4
2023 Minnesota 8-5
2024 Minnesota 10-3

In think think is my favorite.

“2. Nick Saban after losing to Louisiana-Monroe in 2007: “Changes in history usually occur after some kind of catastrophic event. It may be 9/11, which sort of changed the spirit of America relative to catastrophic events. Pearl Harbor kind of got us ready for World War II, and that was a catastrophic event.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

based on PJ's graph. might be a down year for the Gophers. BIG West champs in 2024!

2016 Minnesota 9-4 (pre Fleck)
2017 Minnesota 5–7
2018 Minnesota 7–6
2019 Minnesota 6-7
2020 Minnesota 8-5
2021 Minnesota 7-6
2022 Minnesota 9-4
2023 Minnesota 8-5
2024 Minnesota 10-3

(It's not to scale)

per SI:

5. P.J. Fleck in 2017: “This is what success looks like.”

Congratulations to Fleck for being the only coach on this list to confuse us with a prop.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/09/10/jeremy-pruitt-tennessee-titanic-weird-coach-quotes

Go Gophers!!

The writer doesn't know what a chart like that means? My financial planner shows me the same chart every time I get nervous about the stock market.

That is really, really, really searching desperately for something to write about.

That is weak. "You can't hunt bear....", is one of many from Brewster.
Best burn was Coach Claeys saying "enjoy the winter" after he got the boot. Crafty way to throw shade.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SON-

Fleck went on to explain that Georgia Tech ran a veer based option, while Georgia Southern runs a zone based option attack. So while they both run option, they scheme it in a different way. He kind of hesitated and did not really explain anymore as to not go too "inside baseball" with the listeners. It was almost as if he was admitting the explanation would be too in-the-weeds and not make for an entertaining discussion with the hosts and listeners.

Did he mention if we have film on this zone based attack or will it be like scheming for ghosts?

Did that at WMU as well. Prop is different but still “Not To Scale”.

#5 from all the coaches in the country in the last 20 years? It's not the most bizarre Gopher quote of those years, not the most bizarre PJ-ism either, and sure as heck isn't one of the national top 10. I don't think anyone here even remembered this moment.

It's not a bad visualization either. Without even hearing him speak I get that he is saying success isn't a linear path, it's 2 steps forward and 1 step back repeated over and over.

#5 from all the coaches in the country in the last 20 years? It's not the most bizarre Gopher quote of those years, not the most bizarre PJ-ism either, and sure as heck isn't one of the national top 10. <b>I don't think anyone here even remembered this moment.</b>

It's not a bad visualization either. Without even hearing him speak I get that he is saying success isn't a linear path, it's 2 steps forward and 1 step back repeated over and over.

The “chart speech” was most certainly bizarre. Clearly you don’t remember it.

I just watched his WMU one which if I recall correctly is similar to the one he gave to the Minnesota press. I don't find it that bizarre.

Getting your chili hot seems like an odder saying to me.

Or he remembers it and doesn't find it bizarre.

I don't get it - people find a non-linear visual representation of success too difficult to understand?

I just watched his WMU one which if I recall correctly is similar to the one he gave to the Minnesota press. I don't find it that bizarre.

Getting your chili hot seems like an odder saying to me.

It’s hard to find fault in that speech at WMU when what he described is what actually ended up happening.

Ok.

Here's a link.

Seems edited, but gives you the general idea.
Seems similar to his WMU one.

Ok.

Here's a link.

Seems edited, but gives you the general idea.
Seems similar to his WMU one.

Nah...talking about ups and downs and peaks and valleys on the path to success is just too hard to understand and clearly bizarre, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just not remembering correctly.

Or he remembers it and doesn't find it bizarre.

You do realize I bolded the sentence in his post where he said he doubts anyone even remembered that moment, right?

Top Bottom