Media Predictions: Minnesota vs Georgia Southern

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
College Football News predicts a Minnesota victory, 37-13.
Minnesota is overdue for a strong, easy performance. The coaching staff proved it could figure out the option attack when it took down Georgia Tech in the Quick Lane Bowl at the end of last season. However, it’ll be the Gopher offense that takes over with the best game yet from the running game that has yet to get going.

Bleacher Report predicts a Minnesota win, 38-19.

Buckeyes Wire has a consensus pick of Minnesota

Athlon Sports writers Steven Lassan, Mitch Light and Mark Ross are all taking Minnesota.

ESPN's FPI is putting Minnesota's win probability at 90.8 percent.

Last edited:

Well GSU certainly is the underdog in this game.
It seems to be a consensus that the Gophers will score in the high 30s & GSU will not break 20.

WHOW IS TALON!:(

Well GSU certainly is the underdog in this game.
It seems to be a consensus that the Gophers will score in the high 30s & GSU will not break 20.

WHOW IS TALON!:(

WHOW is a radio station licensed to serve Clinton, Illinois, USA. The station, established in 1947, is currently owned by the Miller Media Group and the broadcast license is held by Kaskaskia Broadcasting, Inc.

But, woe is Talon indeed.

:)

Bill Connelly of ESPN is taking the Gophers, 84% win probability, prediction of 45-28

It's ashame that all the predictiions are wrong this time about the GSU/Gophers game.

Last edited:

Winners and Whiners is taking the Gophers this weekend.
Look for Rashod Bateman to have his way with the Georgia Southern secondary, which gave up 307 yards passing to Maine last week. Take the Golden Gophers to cover the number at home in this game on Saturday.
Prediction: Minnesota -16.5

Our fellow fans at the Daily Gopher are picking Minnesota, 31-13
With the struggles the Eagles have had defending the pass, it’ll represent an opportunity for Tanner Morgan to find a rhythm in the passing game and hopefully jump start what has been a quiet start to the season for Tyler Johnson.

MLive is going with the Gophers, 27-14
Georgia Southern is bringing an option attack with it in its first trip to Minneapolis, one that total 395 yards on the ground last week against Maine. Expect Minnesota to do its own share of ball control, though, and QB Tanner Morgan just has to hit enough throws to keep the chains moving.

Hawk Central is taking the Gophers 42-10
Minnesota should be energized to be 2-0 at this point and, with a strong array of playmakers, should be able to name the score against a Georgia Southern team that lost by 50-plus to LSU and barely scraped past Maine

Is Maine pretty bad? I’m not sure how GSU’s win against them really compares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be a dominant win for Gophs.

Should be as long as each individual player on the defense does their job. If I see Gophers overpersuing and allowing them huge running lanes, I’m going to be throwing stuff at my TV.

Should be a dominant win for Gophs.

Is GSU 107 because of the LSU game, the Main game or both. I dont think we should be ranked 107, but that doesn't matter at this point!

Its how both Offenses and Defenses are prepared!

Should be as long as each individual player on the defense does their job. If I see Gophers overpersuing and allowing them huge running lanes, I’m going to be throwing stuff at my TV.

Dont throw stuff at your 85 inch big screen. You always have your next game!:cool:

Sagarin ratings:

SDSU: 62
GSU: 107
Maine: 138

Minnesota: 39
Fresno: 45

Not really sure why the Gopher fanbase is so obsessed with the Sagarin rankings. I get that they include FCS teams but they've always been widely inaccurate with where they place FCS teams among the FBS. At one point about a decade ago I think Sagarin had FCS GS ranked near the top 25, which don't get me wrong I love me some GS, but there's just no way we were.

For those who are only looking at our Box Score against Maine and drawing your own conclusions - With 13:33 left in the 4th quarter we went up 23-3 and had basically put the game out of reach. That's important because well over half of Maine's points and nearly half of Maine's total yardage came after that point in the game.

Here is a quick narrative of what that game really looked/felt like.

In a perfect world where both Maine and GS score a TD every time they reach the redzone. We would have been winning 42-14 by the time we scored with 13:33 left in the 4th. That means Maine only reached our red zone twice in over 3 quarters of play, and at that moment they had a total of 206 yards of offense (52 rushing, 154 passing).

We basically dominated them the entire game and then had nearly half a dozen self-inflicted wounds once we got into the redzone that kept points off the board (most of them are fixable).

I know you guys have been dealing with similar issues the first two games so I'm sure you understand my point of view. Do I think you're the more talented team? Yes. Do I think the gap is as big as most media would want you to believe? Hell no.

Summary: At the 13:33 mark

GS Yards per play before garbage time - 9.81
Maine Yards per play before garbage time - 4.03

Last edited:

Not really sure why the Gopher fanbase is so obsessed with the Sagarin rankings. I get that they include FCS teams but they've always been widely inaccurate with where they place FCS teams among the FBS. At one point about a decade ago I think Sagarin had FCS GS ranked near the top 25, which don't get me wrong I love me some GS, but there's just no way we were.

For those who are only looking at our Box Score against Maine and drawing your own conclusions - With 13:33 left in the 4th quarter we went up 23-3 and had basically put the game out of reach. That's important because well over half of Maine's points and nearly half of Maine's total yardage came after that point in the game.

In a perfect world where both Maine and GS score a TD every time they reach the redzone. We would have been winning 42-14 by the time we scored with 13:33 left in the 4th. That means Maine only reached our red zone twice in over 3 quarters of play, and at that moment they had a total of 206 yards of offense (52 rushing, 154 passing).

We basically dominated them the entire game and then had nearly half a dozen self-inflicted wounds once we got into the redzone that kept points off the board (most of them are fixable).

I know you guys have been dealing with similar issues the first two games so I'm sure you understand my point of view. Do I think you're the more talented team? Yes. Do I think the gap is as big as most media would want you to believe? Hell no.

I’m not sure about the reliability of computer rankings either, but I do think it’s likely that SDSU is a much better team than Maine. The Maine team that I saw in the highlights looked like garbage.

I’m not sure about the reliability of computer rankings either, but I do think it’s likely that SDSU is a much better team than Maine. The Maine team that I saw in the highlights looked like garbage.

You're right they weren't very good. You also watched a highlight video... I'm not sure what opposing team looks good in one.

Summary: At the 13:33 mark

GS Yards per play before garbage time - 9.81
Maine Yards per play before garbage time - 4.03

I do have to sat that ToastyGS has made very good points in breaking down the Maine game.

You're right they weren't very good. You also watched a highlight video... I'm not sure what opposing team looks good in one.

I watched two of them. One of them was produced for Maine’s benefit, and shows their best plays. They’re both posted in Talon’s megathread.

Last edited:

Me too, since they have the Gophers at #20.

I'll take the Gophers at #20. The higher the Gophers are ranked the more GSU moves up with a win!

Last edited:

20?! lol in what world? certainly not this one.

It doesn't matter if it in the twilight zone.
I'll take the Gophers at #20. The higher the Gophers are ranked the more GSU moves up with a win!

Top Bottom