Week 3 - Other Games Thread

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Clemson plays their toughest game remaining this week at Syracuse.
In two weeks they also visit North Carolina and then later South Carolina.
Nothing else about that schedule looks difficult for a team contending for a National Championship. That's one spot in the CFP taken.

With that said, many of these teams are probably tougher than South Dakota State at home.

REGULAR SEASON
vs GT W52-14
vs 12 TA&M W24-10
@ SYR 9/14
vs CHAR 9/21
@ UNC 9/28
vs FSU 10/12
@ LOU 10/19
vs BC 10/26
vs WOF 11/2
@ NCST 11/9
vs WAKE 11/16
@ SCar 11/30

Ohio State vs Indiana
Pittsburgh at Penn St
Arizona St at Mich St
Iowa at Iowa St
TCU at Purdue

Not a ton of great games this week.

Last edited:

In two weeks they also visit North Carolina.
Nothing else about that schedule looks difficult. That's one spot in the CFP taken.

REGULAR SEASON
vs GT W52-14
vs 12 TA&M W24-10
@ SYR 9/14
vs CHAR 9/21
@ UNC 9/28
vs FSU 10/12
@ LOU 10/19
vs BC 10/26
vs WOF 11/2
@ NCST 11/9
vs WAKE 11/16
@ SCar 11/30

Ohio State vs Indiana
Pittsburgh at Penn St
Arizona St at Mich St
Iowa at Iowa St
TCU at Purdue

Not a ton of great games this week.

For Clemson, FPI actually has @SC as their toughest remaining game, though if that is their only loss they may still make it into the playoff.

I am stoked for Hawkeyes and Cyclones, hopefully the Cyclones can pull off the win.

Last edited:

Pitt vs Penn St might be fun if the Panthers can rise to the occasion. They've been known to pull out the upsets sometimes. If Purdue finds its groove offensively then the game vs TCU could be a shootout.

Clemson will also play the ACC championship game, but not sure if that will be difficult. It's "too bad" that Notre Dame isn't in the ACC Coastal, to give them a tough game. (ND would never join that, fully, so it's a moot point)

Nice to see the same site that talks about SDSU being legitimate dismissing Clemson’s ACC schedule as weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyHawk game only other game I'm interested in.

Nice to see the same site that talks about SDSU being legitimate dismissing Clemson’s ACC schedule as weak.

IN terms of winning national title, yes

It's all relative my man

I always enjoy watching pretty much any B1G game, or game with a B1G team in it. If no B1G game or national impact game is available my next default is the PAC12.

If Syracuse is the toughest game remaining on the regular season schedule for Clemson, I think it is safe to say the ACC isn't exactly a gauntlet. It really bothers me to have the B1G champion skipped for the playoff. Any playoff format that doesn't account for EVERY power 5 champion is incomplete, in my opinion.

I always enjoy watching pretty much any B1G game, or game with a B1G team in it. If no B1G game or national impact game is available my next default is the PAC12.

If Syracuse is the toughest game remaining on the regular season schedule for Clemson, I think it is safe to say the ACC isn't exactly a gauntlet. It really bothers me to have the B1G champion skipped for the playoff. Any playoff format that doesn't account for EVERY power 5 champion is incomplete, in my opinion.

It's why I wanted them to go straight to an 8 team playoff. 4 team playoff with 5 major conferences never made any sense.

There seem to be some interesting Big Ten games this weekend. Yes, in my mind, Syracuse will be "the team that lost to Maryland by over 40 points" this season, so that's a very poor schedule if that's their toughest remaining game.

It's why I wanted them to go straight to an 8 team playoff. 4 team playoff with 5 major conferences never made any sense.

Alas, we got a baby step from top 2 to top 4.

I'm very curious what the next step will be, and if it will include auto-bids for P5.

Thanks for pointing this out.
I've edited my post in red above to avoid confusion

Besides the Cy-Hawk game, I am interested in the Cornhuskers v. UNI game. Not sure what UNI has this year, but I'd love to see them give the Huskers a run for the money, because, you know, Scott Frost.

In two weeks they also visit North Carolina and then later South Carolina.
Nothing else about that schedule looks difficult for a team contending for a National Championship. That's one spot in the CFP taken.

With that said, many of these teams are probably tougher than South Dakota State at home.

REGULAR SEASON
vs GT W52-14
vs 12 TA&M W24-10
@ SYR 9/14
vs CHAR 9/21
@ UNC 9/28
vs FSU 10/12
@ LOU 10/19
vs BC 10/26
vs WOF 11/2
@ NCST 11/9
vs WAKE 11/16
@ SCar 11/30

I must say, this is an eye-opener for me. To be truthful, I never pay much attention to the ACC. Therefore this is a genuine question (as in I'd really like to hear everyone's thoughts);

How does this schedule compare, in your opinion, to the Gophers' schedule?

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
@ Fresno State
GEORGIA SOUTHERN
Bye
@ Purdue
ILLINOIS
NEBRASKA
@Rutgers
MARYLAND
Bye
PENN STATE
@Iowa
@Northwestern
WISCONSIN

After seeing Clemson's schedule, I agree with the bolded part 100%.

I must say, this is an eye-opener for me. To be truthful, I never pay much attention to the ACC. Therefore this is a genuine question (as in I'd really like to hear everyone's thoughts);

How does this schedule compare, in your opinion, to the Gophers' schedule?

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE
@ Fresno State
GEORGIA SOUTHERN
Bye
@ Purdue
ILLINOIS
NEBRASKA
@Rutgers
MARYLAND
Bye
PENN STATE
@Iowa
@Northwestern
WISCONSIN

Not a great measurement but the best I can come up with is Sagarin Rankings.

I'll rank them and color code by strongest to weakest. Maroon is Gopher opponent and orange is Clemson.

3-Wisconsin
9-Penn St
11-Texas A&M
20-Maryland
23-Iowa

28-NC State
31-So Car
33-UNC
38-Wake Forest
40-FSU

45-Fresno St
48-BC

53-Northwestern
54-Ga Tech
55-Syracuse

61-Nebraska
62-SDSU

68-Louisville

86-Illinois

106-Rutgers
107-GA Southern
110-Purdue

145-Wofford
154-Charlotte

What is interesting is they have a count of 6 teams ranked between 26-50 which is where their schedule appears to be tougher than ours.
But then you need to wonder if you really feel teams like Wake Forest and FSU are better than Purdue and Nebraska.

Last edited:

I'll rank them and color code by strongest to weakest. Maroon is Gopher opponent and orange is Clemson.

3-Wisconsin
9-Penn St
11-Texas A&M
20-Maryland
23-Iowa

28-NC State
31-So Car
33-UNC
38-Wake Forest
40-FSU

45-Fresno St
48-BC

53-Northwestern
54-Ga Tech
55-Syracuse

61-Nebraska
62-SDSU

68-Louisville

86-Illinois

106-Rutgers
107-GA Southern
110-Purdue

145-Wofford
154-Charlotte

What is interesting is they have a count of 6 teams ranked between 26-50 which is where their schedule appears to be tougher than ours.
But then you need to wonder if you really feel teams like Wake Forest and FSU are better than Purdue and Nebraska.

Good question in the bolded part.

As I said I don't really pay much attention to their conference, but let's say it's Wake Forest vs. Purdue and FSU vs. Nebraska, both hypothetical bowl games at neutral sites.

I think I'd pick the B1G teams in both cases. Maybe someone who follows the ACC would tell me I'm way off base, though.

Last edited:

On one hand, Clemson is playing 10 P5 teams this season, with Texas A&M and the yearly in-state rivalry game vs U of SC, both from the SEC.

On the other hand, the ACC conference schedule seems relatively mediocre. And no Notre Dame.

I would say that what Alabama has to go through yearly (and they have scheduled 9 P5 games per season the last few years) seems like a much tougher path.

But then, while it would be one thing if Clemson kept getting to the CFP and then kept getting beaten in non-competitive, that clearly doesn't happen. So it's tough to say they aren't deserving of the spot.

However I do think that if any other ACC team happens to slip by Clemson in the ACC championship, I don't think they'll do well at all in the CFP. Guess we'll see.

3-Wisconsin
9-Penn St
11-Texas A&M
20-Maryland
23-Iowa

28-NC State
31-So Car
33-UNC
38-Wake Forest
40-FSU

45-Fresno St
48-BC

53-Northwestern
54-Ga Tech
55-Syracuse

61-Nebraska
62-SDSU

68-Louisville

86-Illinois

106-Rutgers
107-GA Southern
110-Purdue

145-Wofford
154-Charlotte

Great legwork. Please bump this and re-do it in December when MN gets passed over for the CFB playoff by a 1-loss Clemson team

:)

Kansas 21, Boston College 17 in 2nd quarter.

UNC loses to Wake Forest in a NON-ACC conference matchup. (Won't reflect in the ACC standings).

Kansas leading BC 31-24

Go Houston! Not a fan of Leach.

Last edited:

Boston College is going to drop with a loss to Kansas.
The ACC Network Broadcasters sound sad as Kansas is up 38-24 and looking to score again near the end of the 3rd quarter.

The WSU QB, what an absolute tool.

ACC Network has said "All smiles for Kansas" about four times tonight with a very slightly disgusted undertone. #acc #accnetwork #kansasvsbc

This is KU's first road win over a P5 foe since 2008.

Go Gophers!!

This is KU's first road win over a P5 foe since 2008.

Go Gophers!!

Kansas had 7 points and 280 total yards against Coast Carolina at home last week.
Goes to BC and gains about 600 yards and 48 points.

BC beat Virginia Tech
MD trounced BC.

Top Bottom