Tanner Morgan as a starter

Record: 6-2
Completions: 105
Attempts: 171
Completion Percentage: 61.4%
Touchdowns: 12
Interceptions: 5
Passer Rating: 155.4

Was curious to see specifically how Completion Percentage and Passer Rating stacked up vs Gophers all-time leading passers and others in recent history.

Here are the top 10 leading passers by yards in Gopher history

Rank - Player - Completion Percentage - Passer Rating
1. Adam Weber - 57.0% - 123.1
2. Bryan Cupito - 55.9% - 138.3
3. Mitch Leidner - 56.4% - 121.2
4. Cory Sauter - 57.0% - 124.8
5. Asad Abdul-Khaliq - 56.8% - 138.1
6. Marquel Fleetwood - 53.1% - 116.2
7. Rickey Foggie - 49.5% - 126.2
8. Mike Hohensee - 54.3% - 116.5
9. Tim Schade - 51.4% - 109.0
10. Tony Dungy - 46.8% - 99.3

And here are some others of note in recent history

Player - Completion Percentage - Passer Rating
Zack Annexstad - 51.9% - 117.6
Demry Croft - 41.4% - 83.3
Conor Rhoda - 53.2% - 124.3
Philip Nelson - 50.0% - 112.5
MarQueis Gray - 50.8% - 117.5
Travis Cole - 55.9% - 128.9
Billy Cockerham - 52.0% - 122.1

So.........through all that. Here are the leaders.

Completion Percentage
1. Morgan - 61.4%
2. Sauter - 57.0%
3. Weber - 57.0%
4. Abdul-Khaliq - 56.8%
5. Leidner - 56.4%

Passer Rating
1. Morgan - 155.4
2. Cupito - 138.3
3. Abdul-Khaliq - 138.1
4. Cole - 128.9
5. Foggie - 126.2

In both categories Morgan has a healthy lead. Very promising 8 starts into his career.

Thanks!

hard to compare to QB's from by gone era's, but Morgan is probably under appreciated, even by me. I still think he starts his whole career here..(or should I say remainder)

And the completion % should rise considerably since he’s already over 70% this year.

The most impressive stat to me is 10 yards per attempt through his first 8 games, which ranks up there with the top QBs in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most impressive stat to me is 10 yards per attempt through his first 8 games, which ranks up there with the top QBs in the country.

You are speaking my language. Very much one of my favorite stats about Morgan as well.

The same list of players by Yards Per Attempt

1. Morgan - 9.1
2. Foggie - 8.2
3. Cupito - 8.1
4. Abdul-Khaliq - 7.9
5. Cole - 7.5
6. Rhoda - 7.4
7. Sauter - 7.2
8. Cockerham - 7.2
9. Leidner - 7.1
10. Gray - 7.0
11. Weber - 6.8
12. Annexstad - 6.8
13. Hohensee - 6.6
14. Nelson - 6.4
15. Schade - 6.4
16. Fleetwood - 6.0
17. Dungy - 6.0
18. Croft - 5.1

I knew his numbers were way better than people were giving him credit for but I never realized they were that good.

The Gophers could have a top 5 QB in their NFL rookie class and that wouldn't feel like enough. It's easy to look at the mistakes first but Morgan has been great so far and if he keeps this up the Gophers could be a very good team.

As for FBS...

2019 - Morgan ranks 10th in FBS with 10.0 yards per pass attempt.

2018 - Morgan had 8.86 yards per attempt, which would have ranked 12th in FBS had he qualified.

The CRAB pass was absolutely PERFECT!!!! He has been a great leader & will only get better.

The coaches need to let him sling it downfield when they are stacking the box. Whichever receiver has the best match-up, go there. We have three excellent wr's. We won't be able to run on the best teams consistently, we need to make them aware of our passing game.

I'm pretty sure I've never said this about the Gophers before...

We'll be better the more we pass.

He's been a very pleasant surprise - a gutsy players with very good stats, a good field general and leader, hitting at 70% completions so far this year against two good opponents. I hope he escapes injury and keeps improving and remains a starter. We are lucky to have this Kentucky kid who followed his coach here from W. Michigan.

Thanks!

hard to compare to QB's from by gone era's, but Morgan is probably under appreciated, even by me. I still think he starts his whole career here..(or should I say remainder)

I believe Weber is the most under appreciated QB in recent era's. Decker it seemed like was the only one able (not quite right but I believe you get the message) to catch the football in addition to having a different offensive coordinator ever year he was here.

Last edited:

The coaches need to let him sling it downfield when they are stacking the box. Whichever receiver has the best match-up, go there. We have three excellent wr's. We won't be able to run on the best teams consistently, we need to make them aware of our passing game.

He's not stellar at going through his progressions, so...

Where does Jacques Parra rank? He should rank among the top considering his spirals are a thing of beauty.

I believe Weber is the mos under appreciated QB in recent era's. Decker it seemed like was the only one able (not quite right but I believe you get the message) to catch the football in addition to having a different offensive coordinator ever year he was here.

tenor.gif

To me the most impressive thing is that he's a gamer. He has some ups & downs, but when we need him most, he's steps up. He went into Wisconsin and won the axe. He won the bowl game against Ga Tech. He hit that pass to Autman-Bell against Fresno when we needed it most. Feels like most other Gopher QB's faded when we needed them most.

To me the most impressive thing is that he's a gamer. He has some ups & downs, but when we need him most, he's steps up. He went into Wisconsin and won the axe. He won the bowl game against Ga Tech. He hit that pass to Autman-Bell against Fresno when we needed it most. Feels like most other Gopher QB's faded when we needed them most.

This. Like a Fresno fan said - he’s got balls of steel.

Another big time clutch throw was the long TD to Bateman in his first start against Indiana, after the defense coughed up a big lead in the 4th quarter. That ball couldn’t have been thrown any better. The more of these plays he makes, the more confidence his teammates will have that he will find a way to get it done, and they’ll all feed off of that. He has the clutch gene.

We’ve all seen it, but here it is.
https://youtu.be/aKvH9hWRh1M

Last edited:

This. Like a Fresno fan said - he’s got balls of steel.

Came to mind...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JadO3RuOJGU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Negatives: cannot break fingers or throw through brick walls. Occasionally fails to diagnose the open man. Isn’t from MN. Not as much of a outspoken butt slapper as some would like. Less than statuesque. Competition with ZA and Fleck apparent favoring of ZA has created some division in the fanbase.

Positives: accurate, ice cold under pressure, moves up in the pocket/doesn’t retreat, good scrambling ability. Isn’t an a-hole.

He’s very likely going to have a rough game or two in the Big Ten schedule but he is doing pretty much everything we need him to do. He isn’t losing games, and he’s gaining live fire experience. I’m much more worried about our run game and defense right now. Could be the starter for next couple years if all goes well.

Tanner Morgan has perhaps the best set of receivers this season any Gopher QB has ever had, with a couple of the Mason era teams coming close. That said his level of efficiency stands head and shoulders above Gopher QBs even though he is young and has played a relatively hard schedule with little fluff.

Morgan is shaping up to be one of those guys the efficiency stats (and hopefully the standings) like a lot better than the scouts do. One of those dudes PFF grades as an All-American but Mel Kiper has never breathed his name. We haven't had a guy like that in a long time.

Tanner Morgan has perhaps the best set of receivers this season any Gopher QB has ever had, with a couple of the Mason era teams coming close. That said his level of efficiency stands head and shoulders above Gopher QBs even though he is young and has played a relatively hard schedule with little fluff.

Morgan is shaping up to be one of those guys the efficiency stats (and hopefully the standings) like a lot better than the scouts do. One of those dudes PFF grades as an All-American but Mel Kiper has never breathed his name. We haven't had a guy like that in a long time.

Perfectly said. This is already happening.

Top Bottom