PJ Fleck on KFAN with Paul Allen

Reality is their winning percentage is very close to the Vikings the last few years.

The Vikings play every game in a system designed for parity. The Gophers typically play at least a quarter of their games each year against opponents who have enormous disadvantages in budget, conference affiliation, history, etc., etc., etc. It would be an even sadder state of affairs than it already is if the Vikings had a dramatically better winning percentage.

Comparing the Detroit Lions to Indiana St., New Mexico St., or Buffalo is so stupid that it doesn't even warrant a response.

AND - even in that system which demands parity, the Vikings have made the NFC championship game NINE times since the Gophers last won a Big Ten Title. For competitive purposes, even making the NFC championship game (of a 12-16 team conference) is roughly the equivalent of making the Big Ten championship game.

This is among the more idiotic arguments you've attempted to make - and that's really saying something.

Last edited:

This is part of the reason I am only a casual fan of the Vikings nowadays. The local TV sports guys and talk radio cram Vikings, Vikings, Vikings down our throats like we're supposed to drop what we're doing and pay attention to this fabulous thing the Vikings supposedly are, when all they really do is find some way to fail miserably at the end of the season. I have already seen predictions that the defense is really good and there could be a deep playoff run. We all know how that will end...

Complains about the Vikings failing at the end of the season, yet is a diehard fan of the Gophers. Oh, by the way - did you know that your screen name is the name of a former Vikings kicker?

Seriously, do you guys even read the things you post?

The Vikings play every game in a system designed for parity. The Gophers typically play at least a quarter of their games each year against opponents who have enormous disadvantages in budget, conference affiliation, history, etc., etc., etc. It would be an even sadder state of affairs than it already is if the Vikings had a dramatically better winning percentage.

Comparing the Detroit Lions to Indiana St., New Mexico St., or Buffalo is so stupid that it doesn't even warrant a response.

AND - even in that system which demands parity, the Vikings have made the NFC championship game NINE times since the Gophers last won a Big Ten Title. For competitive purposes, even making the NFC championship game (of a 12-16 team conference) is roughly the equivalent of making the Big Ten championship game.

This is among the more idiotic arguments you've attempted to make - and that's really saying something.

The NFL would be closer to college football if they flipped the draft (1st pick went to Super Bowl champs) but even that is not accurate. The best teams would also having a higher salary cap and likely ALL of the first and second round picks. Then it would be closer to college football.

Complains about the Vikings failing at the end of the season, yet is a diehard fan of the Gophers. Oh, by the way - did you know that your screen name is the name of a former Vikings kicker?

Seriously, do you guys even read the things you post?

Difference. Vikings are hyped up and always fail at the end of the year. Gophers are never hyped up and never fail at the end of the year...that is usually done by mid-season.
And, I am now a casual Vikings fan and used to be a die-hard fan, a long time ago, hence the shout-out to a guy who played a long time ago - Fred Cox (plus I admire his gift to Americana...the Nerf football). Seriously, do you even read and understand the things people post?

The NFL would be closer to college football if they flipped the draft (1st pick went to Super Bowl champs) but even that is not accurate. The best teams would also having a higher salary cap and likely ALL of the first and second round picks. Then it would be closer to college football.

Exactly. Any attempt to meaningfully compare performance (especially winning percentage) is moronic for the reasons you state.

And anyone attempting to imply that the Vikings and Gophers have been in any way comparable relative to their peers is even more brainless.

Exactly. Any attempt to meaningfully compare performance (especially winning percentage) is moronic for the reasons you state.

And anyone attempting to imply that the Vikings and Gophers have been in any way comparable relative to their peers is even more brainless.

Agreed. I think the fairest comparison I could come up with would be NFL record vs Big Ten record. That obviously isnt perfect.

Back to media - when I can catch it, the "Mase in Your Face" segment with Barriero and Glen Mason is usually a lot of fun. Barriero tries to rile Mase up and get him going, and Mase - for an ex-coach, can be fairly candid. Mase also likes to give Gaardsy a lot of grief. I think they make it available as a podcast.
Last week, Mase was telling a great story about some of his State Fair appearances. The guy has definitely loosened up since he quit coaching.

Difference. Vikings are hyped up and always fail at the end of the year. Gophers are never hyped up and never fail at the end of the year...that is usually done by mid-season.
And, I am now a casual Vikings fan and used to be a die-hard fan, a long time ago, hence the shout-out to a guy who played a long time ago - Fred Cox (plus I admire his gift to Americana...the Nerf football). Seriously, do you even read and understand the things people post?

Just branching off the bolded part.

The thing about this coaching staff that kills me is the Vikings just come out flat and don't seem to care sometimes ... even in the playoffs. Like man when I know that is coming it is really hard to get excited about the Vikings if the players aren't.

Who listens to AM?

How is that relevant to how 'hard-working' radio people are?

May I ask how you know they are hard-working? Also, how much of their back-breaking labor is dedicated to gathering information about local sports teams, and how much is simply about being entertainers who loosely build their schtick around the topic of sports (and read commercials and promos)?

I'm asking you, because you seem to have deep knowledge on the subject. Are they well-studied in sports, or are they just clowns?

Huh, I didn't know those buttons still existed you must have an old car.

I have a touchscreen LCD display and there is a button for "AM" and one for "FM". It worked when I touched it.

I have a touchscreen LCD display and there is a button for "AM" and one for "FM". It worked when I touched it.
I'll have to go look at mine to see if I can find the AM button you speak of in my 2019.

You know I'm just kidding right?

But seriously does anyone listen to AM?

Not to derail the whole conversation, but I agree that college isn't setup for parity like the NFL.
But the Gophers definitely aren't in lead dog position in this arrangement of teams. For many years they are in a disadvantage of budget, history, football revenue's, etc.

May I ask how you know they are hard-working? Also, how much of their back-breaking labor is dedicated to gathering information about local sports teams, and how much is simply about being entertainers who loosely build their schtick around the topic of sports (and read commercials and promos)?

I'm asking you, because you seem to have deep knowledge on the subject. Are they well-studied in sports, or are they just clowns?

You can't work hard if the radio band you work on doesn't even exist ...

I'll have to go look at mine to see if I can find the AM button you speak of in my 2019.

You know I'm just kidding right?

But seriously does anyone listen to AM?

I know.

But yes. I listen to it when KFAN annoys me.
Almost sounds like FM at times.

I know.

But yes. I listen to it when KFAN annoys me.
Almost sounds like FM at times.

I can't get past the static and how sh!tty AM sounds. I do occasionally listen to twins games, I wish they would have stayed on FM...

I swear car radios sound much worse on AM now than they did in the past. I used to listen to AM all the time and it didn't sound that bad. It was obviously not as clear as FM and I wouldn't use it to listen to music but in general it was okay to listen to WCCO and KFAN talk. Now? In the vehicles I have now whenever I attempt to flip on to AM it sounds like I am a submarine captain submerged off the coast of an enemy country, trying to dial in their encrypted radio dispatches about troop movements.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is, or what you're upset about.

Even if 100% of their time and labor was put towards being an entertainer, are you suggesting that that's an easy gig? That entertainers don't put in sweat and effort and work hard? And why would it bother you anyway?

Even if 100% of their time and labor was put towards being an entertainer, are you suggesting that that's an easy gig? That entertainers don't put in sweat and effort and work hard? And why would it bother you anyway?

Maybe he means that most of what they do is not work.
There is no physical work taking place.

Not sure.

The Gophers typically play at least a quarter of their games each year against opponents who have enormous disadvantages in budget, conference affiliation, history, etc., etc., etc.

Yes, but the Gophers also play at least a quarter of their games each year (in some cases, more) against opponents who have enormous advantages in budget, history, recruiting territory, etc.

You'd have to go back to the beginning of the exchange.

A poster stated the Gophers would never "earn the respect" of the local sports media until they (the Gophers) started winning more.

My question — which remains unanswered — is this: what have local sports media personalities done that would earn them the status of people whose respect is coveted?

Are they experts on college football? Do they spend much time and put much effort into researching the topic? If not — if they are merely entertainers — why would anyone care about "earning" their respect?

At that point bottlebass jumped in and stated that local sports radio guys do, in fact, work hard and that I know nothing about radio.

I'm still left wondering why we need to worry about earning their respect in a football sense, unless they have special insights into college football.

Last edited:

PJ was pretty positive and felt fortunate to be 2-0 but was glad the team was able to pull it out. He said the team is maturing and finding ways to win. He talked about QB Tanner Morgan and he doesn't make the same mistake twice and is getting better. He sang the praises of Winfield and Autman Bell and said he felt the offensive line all played better. Still need to work on the mistakes - if you take away the mistakes it is entirely a different game. Also - teams they play in the non conference schedule won 32 games last year and Georgia Southern is a well coached team that is not a pushover. Key to stopping the option is a boring defense where everyone does their job.

I get the feeling PA was bored and couldn't wait to get back to talking more about the Vikings - lol. But any time is good time and I am glad they were able to get some air time in between all the Vikings segments!

My take on the Gophers so far is they are not as good as they were at the end of last year, but they have improved a bit from 2 games in to last season. We are in the same spot we were in last year 2-0. I know we are making a lot of bonehead mistakes but those are correctable. If our problems right now we are too slow or not athletic enough we would have a whole other list of concerns that would be far worse!! Time will tell, but we just might have a very good year if everything falls in place and we can stay healthy!

I know I'm late to the party here, but the bold comment seems to have set the stage for the entire thread. I heard the interview, and I didn't get the impression at all that PA was bored. And I say that as a guy who isn't a PA fan.

I listen to his podcasts now if Fleck, Korzonowski or Ryan Burns are on. He still has his preset questions for each and can't really have an in-depth discussion about the Gophers, but he seemed to enjoy is conversation with PJ -- this week, anyway.

This describes PA.

I listen to the Queens on our way back home Sundays after going to Gopher games. Very painful to listen to PA describe the game.

I'd rather have some KGB agent pull out my fingernails one by one than listen to Paul Allen. He is full of himself, goes way overboard trying to impress listeners with his "command" of the English language with his over extravagant use of adjectives and, in his mind, other cool and innovative statements. Just tell me whats going on in a normal manner and give up all the schtick and showboating

This describes PA.

I listen to the Queens on our way back home Sundays after going to Gopher games. Very painful to listen to PA describe the game.

I'd rather have some KGB agent pull out my fingernails one by one than listen to Paul Allen. He is full of himself, goes way overboard trying to impress listeners with his "command" of the English language with his over extravagant use of adjectives and, in his mind, other cool and innovative statements. Just tell me whats going on in a normal manner and give up all the schtick and showboating

I absolutely love his level of enthusiasm when calling a game on the radio. He is a blast to listen to. And he comes with the appropriate amount of homerism for a radio guy.

I absolutely love his level of enthusiasm when calling a game on the radio. He is a blast to listen to. And he comes with the appropriate amount of homerism for a radio guy.

And he's loose........TOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHHDDDDDDOOOOOOOOWWWWWWNNNNNNN

That's his signature, and it's horseschit.

No description of the play whatsoever. NONE!

Broke a tackle, went left or right, cutback move? etc.

I used to listen to the radio back in the day and visualize the play as it was called. Not with the clown calling the game. Just scream, baby! Of course, screaming something gets on the piece of schit thing known as ESPN!

Oh, and no one mispronounces names or gets the name wrong more than the clown.

And he's loose........TOOOOUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHHDDDDDDOOOOOOOOWWWWWWNNNNNNN

That's his signature, and it's horseschit.

No description of the play whatsoever. NONE!

Broke a tackle, went left or right, cutback move? etc.

I used to listen to the radio back in the day and visualize the play as it was called. Not with the clown calling the game. Just scream, baby! Of course, screaming something gets on the piece of schit thing known as ESPN!

Oh, and no one mispronounces names or gets the name wrong more than the clown.

I don’t mind PA, but when he does the TV broadcasts for the preseason games, the number of mistakes he makes is embarrassing, especially considering how long he’s been doing these games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom