Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I think a lot of this is due to the Gophers moving their flagship around. When the Gophers were on WCCO, the Gophers didn't have to fight the Vikings for coverage. On KFAN, the Gophers will always be secondary to the Vikings. The Vikings are "their" team. The Gophers are just another team they cover when they're not talking about the Vikings.

I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if the Gophers went to CCO with a proposal. I bet CCO would dump St. Thomas in a heartbeat if they could get the Gophers back on the air.

Or, if they don't want to go back to CCO, just find a station that will make the Gophers their top priority. With satellite and on-line radio, you don't need to have a 50,000 watt blowtorch as your flagship. the Gophers could also do some work to beef up the radio network for outstate coverage.

As far as PA, the screaming idiot is for some reason the new norm in play-by-play. The old-school guys like Ray Christensen just don't exist anymore. Apparently if you don't scream, the audience won't think it's exciting. I hear the same thing with high school coverage. You can listen for 20 minutes and you won't know the score of the game or who's playing.
    Gladden doing Twins games can go 5 to 10 minutes and not give the damn score

Quote Originally Posted by PitinoFan View Post
    I’m not even convinced a Big West title would change this attitude. It would probably take consecutive CFP appearances, or something along those lines.
    This is a weird position to hold when the Gophers haven't even won 6 conference games in a season since the Nixon administration. Consecutive CFP appearances? Hell, how about baby steps and let's finish consecutive seasons with winning Big Ten records! That hasn't happened for 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    This is a weird position to hold when the Gophers haven't even won 6 conference games in a season since the Nixon administration. Consecutive CFP appearances? Hell, how about baby steps and let's finish consecutive seasons with winning Big Ten records! That hasn't happened for 50 years.
    That would barely generate a yawn from most of the KFAN hosts, and casual college football fans.

I wonder if PJ truly understood the level of apathy toward this team when he took the job? If he ever leaves, that will probably be a big reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PitinoFan View Post
    That would barely generate a yawn from most of the KFAN hosts, and casual college football fans.

I wonder if PJ truly understood the level of apathy toward this team when he took the job? If he ever leaves, that will probably be a big reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think the apathy is as strong as you are saying. MN sports fans have a lot of options for the market size. They spend their money wisely. It was just a few years ago we were selling the place out. Win 10 games, lower prices and we will be back to sellouts. Look at the twins this year.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

It isn't a Gopher thing, PA is just a horrible interviewer. He comes with his preset list of leading questions and never follows up on a response, it's the least natural interviewing process possible. In the era of great podcasts PA's deficiency in interviewing has never been more apparent.