PJ Fleck on KFAN with Paul Allen

For the first several years, he didn't even give yardage markers as guys ran downfield. After complaints he started doing it.

I'm used to pxp guys giving descriptions of a run which each mean different things "dashes, cuts, scrambles, hurdles, leaps, dives, etc.".
With PA we get "spurts".

I don't listen to him while watching TV because I really can't handle the way he calls a game, and as others have mentioned, what he says often does not match the action at all.
What you envision from listening to him does not match the game closely in most cases.

I didn't hear the interview today, but the Fleck on KFAN thing is tough. There is obviously a reason to have the coach of the team on the station since they broadcast the games and have a wide audience of sports fans, but there is no show where it is an obvious fit. The Power Trip (or is it Powertrip?) isn't really a sports show with hosts who pride themselves on not liking sports that much and Sauce who openly talks about not liking Fleck personally. They cover the Vikings and will mention the Gophers, but it's mostly with disdain and you certainly aren't going to learn anything from them. Common Man isn't college football fan and isn't interested in any type of a serious interview with a coach. Barreiro would rather mock Fleck and the Gophers than discuss them seriously.

That leaves PA. He is not very knowledgeable or interested in college football and his focus is obviously on the Vikings, but he's the best personality fit with PJ and he usually appears to have prepped for 5 minutes to do the interview. It is often stilted and awkward, but it's probably the best they can do. They would be better off just having JG or Grimm do the interview, even if it is recorded and replayed during one of the other shows.

None of this is intended as a rip on KFAN as their shows all do well and they seem to know their audience, I just wish there was better and more even-handed coverage of the Gophers in this market in general and on the flagship in particular. I like the weekly coach's shows.

KFAN is very much a guest-driven station for sports takes, outside of maybe just Paul Allen knowing a little more about the Vikings. But he still has his share of guests who talk about the Vikings, so it's not just about him rambling on about the team for three hours.

A radio host is just that.....a host. They're like a discussion moderator, steering the station's on-air discussion for three-hour segments. The guests are where you get the actual insight about the teams. They don't need to be fans of all of the teams.

It may seem like KFAN ignores the Gophers, but you still can get plenty of Gophers content throughout the week. PJ Fleck, Richard Pitino and Bob Motzko all have weekly shows in-season and all do regular on-air hits on various shows. Gaard has his show on Sundays heavily Gopher-focused often, plus various hits with Barreiro during the week as producer. Ryan Burns and Ryan James do regular appearances. The morning show has former Gophers Tommy Olson and Justin Conzemius on. Barreiro gets Glen Mason. PA regularly has Mike Grimm on.

We've come a long way from Tim Brewster not allowing his coaches or players to go on KFAN.....

Why do Gopher Fans still crave KFAN coverage so much? I don’t get it. Plenty of podcasts and other avenues to get your fix.

KFAN knows their market - if it was more interested in the Gophers they would cover it. They don’t skimp on it because of the hosts, they skimp on it because we are the minority - most people in this market don’t care. Google “TCF attendance” for more data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do Gopher Fans still crave KFAN coverage so much? I don’t get it. Plenty of podcasts and other avenues to get your fix.

KFAN knows their market - if it was more interested in the Gophers they would cover it. They don’t skimp on it because of the hosts, they skimp on it because we are the minority - most people in this market don’t care. Google “TCF attendance” for more data.

I like getting KFAN coverage of gophers because I do a fair amount of driving and KFAN's signal is strong from the metro all the way out to Eau Claire where I drive every week and they have Iheart when I'm in an area without good signal. They also are the radio home of gopher football and basketball which again can be nice listening on a long drive.

I think they cover the gophers fairly, get mentions before and after games, several guests responsible for gopher updates, PJ FLeck radio show, random interviews, hell they even added Tommy Olson to their morning show and besides being a gopher homer when discussing upcoming games, you get a little insight into what his experience as a gopher was every once in a while.

Expecting PA to give the gopher some unspecific due seems unrealistic. I think he is a very entertaining announcer and a decent guy, keep in mind he had not even called a college football game before landing the vikings job. So his background is a lot different than your average play by play. If a lot of people didn't like the way he does it, he wouldn't have a job.

I'm still left wondering why we need to worry about earning their respect in a football sense, unless they have special insights into college football.

They don't have "special insights into college football" and we don't need their blessing as the arbiters of football excellence. What we do need, or at least want, is access to their audience. Like the shows or hate them, they have very strong ratings in the demographics that are important to places like the U of M that are having trouble selling tickets to sporting events. No hardcore Gopher football fan looks to the Common Man or PA for information, but the vast majority of this market knows little about the team and the little they do hear comes from these types of sources. If I talk to casual fans, much of what they say parrots what they have heard in the media. If that's "same old Gophers," "PJ only cares about himself" or "they suck and no one goes to the games," how likely are they to come out and buy tickets? If, on the other hand, what they hear is "the QB seems to be a winner," "they have 2-3 WRs who will play on Sundays" or "it seems like there's something positive building in Dinkytown," they just might pay more attention and come out to a game.

It would be great if Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and Bill Cowher all told their friends that they think that Fleck has discovered the secret formula that will revolutionize the way football is coached for the next generation, but that isn't going to get Scott and Karen from Savage to bring their two kids to a game.

They don't have "special insights into college football" and we don't need their blessing as the arbiters of football excellence. What we do need, or at least want, is access to their audience. Like the shows or hate them, they have very strong ratings in the demographics that are important to places like the U of M that are having trouble selling tickets to sporting events. No hardcore Gopher football fan looks to the Common Man or PA for information, but the vast majority of this market knows little about the team and the little they do hear comes from these types of sources. If I talk to casual fans, much of what they say parrots what they have heard in the media. If that's "same old Gophers," "PJ only cares about himself" or "they suck and no one goes to the games," how likely are they to come out and buy tickets? If, on the other hand, what they hear is "the QB seems to be a winner," "they have 2-3 WRs who will play on Sundays" or "it seems like there's something positive building in Dinkytown," they just might pay more attention and come out to a game.

It would be great if Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and Bill Cowher all told their friends that they think that Fleck has discovered the secret formula that will revolutionize the way football is coached for the next generation, but that isn't going to get Scott and Karen from Savage to bring their two kids to a game.

First off, thanks for the thoughtful, well reasoned and respectful answer to my question. Much appreciated.

If the KFAN/1500 sports talk guys don't have much insight into college football, and don't really even follow the Gophers, how would the team change their hot but shallow takes on Gopher football (takes you mentioned, like 'same old Gophers, they suck, P.J. Fleck is an egomaniac', etc.)? I mean, let's say the Gophers end up competing for the B1G West title with two or three games remaining in the regular season... will Meat Sauce or The Common Man even be aware of it? If they were aware, would they belittle it as an insignificant accomplishment? I'd say that's pretty likely. Those folks love them some cynicism, and that cynicism seems to sell. That's their main schtick, and their audience obviously approves. I doubt that they'd suddenly become more positive; it's not in their DNA.

So I guess I have to disagree with you. I sincerely doubt that the KFAN/1500 types represent a viable gateway to bigger crowds at TCF or more enthusiasm from the public for the program. If Fleck & Co. succeed in broadening the program's appeal, it seems more likely to happen through other means. And it might be in spite of the local sports media types, rather than with their support. I just don't see those folks as giving a crap, one way or the other. With certain exceptions, of course. And in all fairness, boosterism isn't their job. However, I do think that having some basic knowledge about the only major college team in this market is within their job descriptions... or at least it should be.

Last edited:

First off, thanks for the thoughtful, well reasoned and respectful answer to my question. Much appreciated.

If the KFAN/1500 sports talk guys don't have much insight into college football, how would you change their hot but shallow takes on the Gopher football program (takes like, 'same old Gophers, they suck, P.J. Fleck is an egomaniac', etc.)? I mean, if the Gophers end up competing for the B1G West title with two or three games remaining in the regular season will, say, Meat Sauce or The Common Man even be aware of it? If they were aware, would they belittle it as an insignificant accomplishment? I'd say that's pretty likely. Those folks love them some cynicism, and that cynicism seems to sell. That's their main schtick, and their audience obviously approves.

So I guess I have to disagree with you. I sincerely doubt that the KFAN/1500 types represent a viable gateway to bigger crowds at TCF or more enthusiasm from the public for the program. If Fleck & Co. succeed in broadening the program's appeal, it seems more likely to happen through other means. And it might be in spite of the local sports media types, rather than with their support. I just don't see those folks as giving a crap, one way or the other. With certain exceptions, of course. And in all fairness, boosterism isn't their job. However, I do think that having some basic knowledge about the only major college team in this market is within their job descriptions... or at least it should be.

I don't think we really disagree. You essentially asked "Who is Dan Barreiro, who anointed him the football expert and why should I give a rip what he thinks about my favorite football team?" and I tried to give you an answer. I do think it would help if there was more positive coverage from the local "sports" stations, but I don't have a solution to obtain it, nor do I think that it is likely to occur.

I don't think we really disagree. You essentially asked "Who is Dan Barreiro, who anointed him the football expert and why should I give a rip what he thinks about my favorite football team?" and I tried to give you an answer. I do think it would help if there was more positive coverage from the local "sports" stations, but I don't have a solution to obtain it, nor do I think that it is likely to occur.

You're right; we're pretty much in agreement on this.

Maybe thoughtful, knowledgeable coverage will happen someday. If you asked them, I'm sure the KFAN/1500 bunch would say, "Well give us some wins first, then you'll get positive coverage".

My question back to them would be, "Wins, as in... what, exactly? B1G West title? B1G Championship? Where have you placed the bar?"

People who follow the team have been able to find some positives recently, without necessarily being blind to the flaws in the team.

If local sports media types in Iowa City or Ann Arbor withheld interest in their teams until they won a B1G Championship, those two programs would be off the media radar most of the time. Neither the Hawkeyes nor the Wolverines have won the B1G in 15 years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Nebraska has ever won the B1G. I wonder if the local sports media types in Lincoln ignore the Huskers if they aren't competing for the title...

Last edited:

True. Between Gopher Gridiron Radio, Ski-U-Pahdcast, and Taken All Wrong, I have had plenty of options to hear Gopher Football analysis via podcasts. If Gaard and Grimm did a Gopher podcast, that would be the only KFAN-related content I'd prefer.

I think a lot of this is due to the Gophers moving their flagship around. When the Gophers were on WCCO, the Gophers didn't have to fight the Vikings for coverage. On KFAN, the Gophers will always be secondary to the Vikings. The Vikings are "their" team. The Gophers are just another team they cover when they're not talking about the Vikings.

I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if the Gophers went to CCO with a proposal. I bet CCO would dump St. Thomas in a heartbeat if they could get the Gophers back on the air.

Or, if they don't want to go back to CCO, just find a station that will make the Gophers their top priority. With satellite and on-line radio, you don't need to have a 50,000 watt blowtorch as your flagship. the Gophers could also do some work to beef up the radio network for outstate coverage.

As far as PA, the screaming idiot is for some reason the new norm in play-by-play. The old-school guys like Ray Christensen just don't exist anymore. Apparently if you don't scream, the audience won't think it's exciting. I hear the same thing with high school coverage. You can listen for 20 minutes and you won't know the score of the game or who's playing.

No craving. Just easier to jump in the car and punch 100.3 than mess around with a phone. It's either that or the Prince 24/7 stati...er, I mean KOOL108.

PA tapes his interview with Fleck on Monday after his show. They play it on Tuesday.

It seems all of PA's taped interviews do not have the same energy as his live interviews.

I know I'm late to the party here, but the bold comment seems to have set the stage for the entire thread. I heard the interview, and I didn't get the impression at all that PA was bored. And I say that as a guy who isn't a PA fan.

I listen to his podcasts now if Fleck, Korzonowski or Ryan Burns are on. He still has his preset questions for each and can't really have an in-depth discussion about the Gophers, but he seemed to enjoy is conversation with PJ -- this week, anyway.

Maybe you are right and I am a little too sensitive on PA's handling of the Gophers vs. Vikings which continues to stick in my craw. When the Twins got off to a red hot start and I really wanted to hear more about the Twins he was busy talking about what the Vikings were going to do with their 18th pick in the draft for like 100 times!!! On the "Friday Feast" he doesn't even mention the Gophers but will talk nonstop about the Vikings for 3 hours!! During the Fleck interview he was critical of Morgan hanging onto the football too long and taking sacks but I NEVER hear him say anything critical of the Vikings. There is a major bias by him against anything that isn't wearing purple. Not necessarily AGAINST the Gophers but usually disinterest and you can tell he wants to get it over with so he can talk more about the Vikings.

You are right - KFAN also features Fleck, Korzonowski, Ryan Burns, Ron Johnson amongst others that are very pro Gophers and give great insights. Glen Mason's takes are generally very good and I enjoy listening to him as well. Dan Cole can be funny at times but he is unlistenable if you are trying to gain any insights or knowledge. It's like having a movie critic who doesn't watch any movies but just makes jokes. I would rather get more news and insights but I must be in the minority as he has been there for a very long time!! At least I don't have to hear Larry Fitzgerald Sr. talk about racism in sports EVERY DAY!!! haha.

I would like to hear more Gopher football segments as well as high school segments too. I am a Vikings fan too but I wish they would cover the other sports a lot more. The Gophers are a potential huge story if everything comes together and should be getting a lot more attention!!

I think a lot of this is due to the Gophers moving their flagship around. When the Gophers were on WCCO, the Gophers didn't have to fight the Vikings for coverage. On KFAN, the Gophers will always be secondary to the Vikings. The Vikings are "their" team. The Gophers are just another team they cover when they're not talking about the Vikings.

I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if the Gophers went to CCO with a proposal. I bet CCO would dump St. Thomas in a heartbeat if they could get the Gophers back on the air.

Or, if they don't want to go back to CCO, just find a station that will make the Gophers their top priority. With satellite and on-line radio, you don't need to have a 50,000 watt blowtorch as your flagship. the Gophers could also do some work to beef up the radio network for outstate coverage.

As far as PA, the screaming idiot is for some reason the new norm in play-by-play. The old-school guys like Ray Christensen just don't exist anymore. Apparently if you don't scream, the audience won't think it's exciting. I hear the same thing with high school coverage. You can listen for 20 minutes and you won't know the score of the game or who's playing.

for much of my life, WCCO did indeed carry both the Vikings and Gophers, and in those days there wasn't as much Gopher coverage on WCCO as there is on KFAN now.

KFAN does a nice job. Several weekly segments dedicated to Gopher football or other sports, and regular interviews with lots of Gopher sports representatives. Do I wish it was more? Yes. Is it enough? Depends on ones point of view. Would the Gophers somehow be better off ditching one of the top sports radio stations in the country? I'll answer that one with a question: What other radio station in this market could provide the ratings and ears for Gopher content that is currently provided by KFAN? NONE.

I was just listening to Barreiro. He was previewing his Sunday show, and basically said he’s not going to be spending the usual half hour recapping the Gopher game, unless they lose or have to block a kick to win in OT. He assumes they’ll “take care of business” and it’s not worth spending a lot of time on during Packer week. That’s what the team is up against. Earlier, Common was going on again about how we’re always told they’re ready to take the next step, but it never happens. I’m not even convinced a Big West title would change this attitude. It would probably take consecutive CFP appearances, or something along those lines.

Gladden doing Twins games can go 5 to 10 minutes and not give the damn score

I’m not even convinced a Big West title would change this attitude. It would probably take consecutive CFP appearances, or something along those lines.

This is a weird position to hold when the Gophers haven't even won 6 conference games in a season since the Nixon administration. Consecutive CFP appearances? Hell, how about baby steps and let's finish consecutive seasons with winning Big Ten records! That hasn't happened for 50 years.

This is a weird position to hold when the Gophers haven't even won 6 conference games in a season since the Nixon administration. Consecutive CFP appearances? Hell, how about baby steps and let's finish consecutive seasons with winning Big Ten records! That hasn't happened for 50 years.

That would barely generate a yawn from most of the KFAN hosts, and casual college football fans.

I wonder if PJ truly understood the level of apathy toward this team when he took the job? If he ever leaves, that will probably be a big reason.

That would barely generate a yawn from most of the KFAN hosts, and casual college football fans.

I wonder if PJ truly understood the level of apathy toward this team when he took the job? If he ever leaves, that will probably be a big reason.

I don't think the apathy is as strong as you are saying. MN sports fans have a lot of options for the market size. They spend their money wisely. It was just a few years ago we were selling the place out. Win 10 games, lower prices and we will be back to sellouts. Look at the twins this year.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

It isn't a Gopher thing, PA is just a horrible interviewer. He comes with his preset list of leading questions and never follows up on a response, it's the least natural interviewing process possible. In the era of great podcasts PA's deficiency in interviewing has never been more apparent.

Top Bottom