STrib: Gophers' Shannon Brooks plays different role as knee recovers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Shannon Brooks stared down four Fresno State players all alone in his season debut this past Saturday.

The still-recovering running back had dressed for the first two Gophers games and participated in warm-ups. But this was his first time officially stepping onto the field. He never touched the ball yet still had a flawless performance: winning an important coin toss.

Brooks called tails, the Gophers took possession second, and they eventually won 38-35 in double overtime. Coach P.J. Fleck made the unusual decision to send out only one player, a senior he knew wasn’t missing anything in the concurrent sideline huddles. The Bulldogs deployed all four captains, including quarterback Jorge Reyna.

“We had a lot of strategy to discuss. We had defensive stuff to talk about. We needed our quarterback to stay loose. We needed our quarterback to be with our offense,” Fleck said. “And so Shannon went out there.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-shannon-brooks-plays-different-role-as-knee-recovers/559870232/

Go Gophers!!

I initially assumed it was just a symbolic thing to honor Brooks, but this actually makes a lot of sense. Unlike the start of the game, when we have our game plan ready to go, overtime is a situation you probably don't expect to end up in during any given game, and the strategy problem evolves based on how the game went, so I can definitely see the value in having the players who will be playing in the huddle.

While watching it, I thought it was strange that none of the FSU guys shook his hand. Brooks was obviously hesitating because he thought there would be handshakes.

While watching it, I thought it was strange that none of the FSU guys shook his hand. Brooks was obviously hesitating because he thought there would be handshakes.

I notice that as well. Weird.

I learned something by reading this article.
Hadn't thought of that angle.

I learned something by reading this article.
Hadn't thought of that angle.

Someone mentioned it in the in game thread and I kinda laughed at it but...it actually makes sense. I would have never thought of it either.

Brooks looked in shape and made a great call. Player of the game.

Top Bottom