Gopher's Marketing Continues - $20 tickets this weekend

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
I don't know if we'll see another flash sake but I got an email advertising $20 tickets for this weekends game.

Nice to see them continuing to push to get butts in seats.

I'm predicting a huge drop in attendance for the GSU game as they won't be filling the end zone with free admission for students and a school like GSU on the schedule does not move the needle for most casual Gopher fans. I'm predicting a wide open second deck end zone and the ability to read M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A fairly easily in the second deck sides.

Sadly, most casual fans do not distinguish much between a school like South Dakota State and St. Cloud State and also don't distinguish much between a school like Fresno State and Akron so two close games against "little schools" isn't motivating the fans much, even if they were both wins. Add it all together and this will be a sparsely attended game, unfortunately.

I ate a frozen pizza yesterday. Does that mean I have to go to a Gopher game?

Given the opponent, $20 is still too much for me vs the 60" TV, refrigerator proximity, and having my dog on hand to distract me from the frustrating times.

I think they've always been $20, it's not a sale, just the lowest ticket prices.

It does look like all faculty and U employees will get a free ticket to the game however with the ability to buy discounted guest tickets.

I'm predicting a huge drop in attendance for the GSU game as they won't be filling the end zone with free admission for students and a school like GSU on the schedule does not move the needle for most casual Gopher fans. I'm predicting a wide open second deck end zone and the ability to read M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A fairly easily in the second deck sides.

Sadly, most casual fans do not distinguish much between a school like South Dakota State and St. Cloud State and also don't distinguish much between a school like Fresno State and Akron so two close games against "little schools" isn't motivating the fans much, even if they were both wins. Add it all together and this will be a sparsely attended game, unfortunately.

I think attendance will be pretty solid. Free tickets for all U faculty and staff. Team is 2-0 with a solid win @Fresno, Saturday at 2:30 as opposed to Thursday night at 8:00PM and so far the forecast says mostly sunny with a high of 75 so the weather should be good.

I think attendance will be pretty solid. Free tickets for all U faculty and staff. Team is 2-0 with a solid win @Fresno, Saturday at 2:30 as opposed to Thursday night at 8:00PM and so far the forecast says mostly sunny with a high of 75 so the weather should be good.

With the addition of the free tickets to all U faculty and staff, that changes things considerably.

I think they've always been $20, it's not a sale, just the lowest ticket prices.

It does look like all faculty and U employees will get a free ticket to the game however with the ability to buy discounted guest tickets.

I like this as outreach to the academic side of the U.

The last non conference game of the year is also typically when the U gives discounted (or maybe free?) tickets to high school football teams. I don't know if they still do that but a few years ago the would always do that so hopefully that helps get a few more buts in seats.

I think it is high school band day. There should be at least a section or two of band students.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I think it is HS Football, Band and CHeerleader day or something too

What was I supposed to do? It wouldn't fit in my toaster.
I thought in Wisconsin they cooked things on the engine block.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I told my wife we aren’t going to this game but now I want to. Have other plans but I love canceling plans to go do stuff I like to do.

I'm torn. I want the stadium full, but I want to keep getting season tickets too. Last home game I'm in section 103 and talked to some new fans who bought tickets for the game at the flash sale in our section.

Doesn't help my situation when my wife finds out that the tickets we spent close to $80 a piece on are being sold for $10. That turns into "Why don't we just do that?" Pretty quickly. Would be nice to see some relief on Season ticket prices until they can fill the place enough to not have to sell lower deck endzone tickets for $10.

I'm torn. I want the stadium full, but I want to keep getting season tickets too. Last home game I'm in section 103 and talked to some new fans who bought tickets for the game at the flash sale in our section.

Doesn't help my situation when my wife finds out that the tickets we spent close to $80 a piece on are being sold for $10. That turns into "Why don't we just do that?" Pretty quickly. Would be nice to see some relief on Season ticket prices until they can fill the place enough to not have to sell lower deck endzone tickets for $10.

I think if you want to go to every game, the season ticket might still be best. The non-conference games will be cheap due to deals, but the Wisconsin/Iowa/Nebraska type games will probably run more than face and could offset the savings you get from the early season games. Of course, if the Gophers stink then all the tickets are easy to get, but if they are decent I think the season ticket could be a good way to go still from a value stand point (depending on the donation part)

All free and discounted tickets should go to students. Build the future fan base. Alumni should be bearing the full freight.

I think the season pass option was very smart. It isn't offered until after season tickets are renewed, and it provides no loyalty benefits. yet it does fill some unsold seats. It is also very easy to discontinue during any upcoming season when ticket demand increases.

Top Bottom