Question about possession rules in OT

RodentRampage

Reaction score
Winfield was smart of kneel after the interception because it ended the game. If he had fumbled, Fresno State could have returned it for a touchdown. But if Winfield fumbled in the field of play, and Fresno State recovered but didn't return it for a touchdown, would they get a new possession or would that end the game? I haven't been able to find any clear rules on this.

:confused:

Brain spinning....but I'd like to venture a guess. If it is determined that Winfield had the ball long enough to consider it a change of possession, if he fumbles, FSU would have needed to get it into the end zone on the same play, or game over as they did not score on their possession....someone with better background is needed on this one.

Last edited:

Winfield was smart of kneel after the interception because it ended the game. If he had fumbled, Fresno State could have returned it for a touchdown. But if Winfield fumbled in the field of play, and Fresno State recovered but didn't return it for a touchdown, would they get a new possession or would that end the game? I haven't been able to find any clear rules on this.

My theory:

Possession only "changes" AFTER the play.

As a player Winfield "had possession" but I'm not sure that qualifies as an overall possession change.

I think the term "possession" has two different potential meanings that do not interact directly.

My understanding is that if the defense recovers a fumble, they take possession of the ball and that wipes out the current down/distance. So if they then fumble the ball in the same play, the team that was on offense to start would get a fresh set of downs. Hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong!

https://rulebook.github.io/en/interpretations/rules/3/

I think I found the answer. It looks like if Winfield had fumbled, Fresno State could have returned the ball for a touchdown, but if they didn't return it for a touchdown, their possession would be over. This ruling talks about the first possession series of the OT period, but I can't imagine it would be any different for a second possession series of an OT period.

During the first possession series of a period, Team B gains possession and then loses possession to Team A, which (a) scores a touchdown; (b) does not score a touchdown. RULING: (a) The score counts. In both (a) and (b), Team A’s possession series ends and Team B begins its possession series.

I think I found the answer. It looks like if Winfield had fumbled, Fresno State could have returned the ball for a touchdown, but if they didn't return it for a touchdown, their possession would be over. This ruling talks about the first possession series of the OT period, but I can't imagine it would be any different for a second possession series of an OT period.

That makes sense to me.

A play with an INT and fumble on the return has two distinct turnovers.

nm

That makes sense to me.

A play with an INT and fumble on the return has two distinct turnovers.

It makes sense because technically it is a new possession (thus a new set of downs, regardless where recovery is). Each team only gets one possession.

That said, I can't find a link, but I believe that if team B fumbles (using the same terminology), the play is actually dead if recovered by team A. I think that as soon as Winfield intercepted the ball, there was no way for Fresno to win the game, regardless if he took a knee or not.

Top Bottom