Still Seriously Concerned With Our Running Game

Wanted to bring up one other thing for comments by others, if anyone has any.

It seems the entire offense (including goal line) is run out of shotgun. I don't have any comment on that, if it's good or bad. But here is what I wanted to bring up: at least later in the game (though it could've happened throughout the game), there seemed to be a fair amount of somewhat errant snaps. Do people agree?

If we're going 100% shotgun, I think the snaps gotta be pretty close to perfect. As much as they can be. Maybe the center banged up his snapping hand?

I thought the RPO's run/pass decision was made during the first moments of the play, not pre-snap. Like a read-option's handoff/keep decision. I may be completely misunderstanding the RPO play!

Hell if I know... but then if it is why bother getting direction from the sideline too?

Ok, the Gophers have a big, strong offensive line. We know that. And the other team knows that.

so, instead of lining up straight on and trying to out-muscle the Gophers' line, the first two opponents have tried to out-fox the Gophers with speed, stunts and twists to throw off the blocking assignments. And they have had some success.

if you want to have a really big, strong line, you run the risk of sacrificing some mobility. Mason was talking about that on KFAN last week. Mase made it clear that he prefers the smaller, quicker linemen like Eslinger and Setterstrom.

Ok, the Gophers have a big, strong offensive line. We know that. And the other team knows that.

so, instead of lining up straight on and trying to out-muscle the Gophers' line, the first two opponents have tried to out-fox the Gophers with speed, stunts and twists to throw off the blocking assignments. And they have had some success.

if you want to have a really big, strong line, you run the risk of sacrificing some mobility. Mason was talking about that on KFAN last week. Mase made it clear that he prefers the smaller, quicker linemen like Eslinger and Setterstrom.

Wisconsin ran into the same issue in the Rose Bowl against TCU one year

Take out the 2 OT’s and I think we rushed for about exactly what we did last year against them. They may not be as good this year, but it was also in their stadium this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to see the Gophers run some more quick hitting run plays. They are using the read option appearance to try to make the defense respect the QB but I think the vast majority of these plays are called handoffs. This long mesh point allows the interior to collapse a bit especially when you are playing against smaller, quicker DL. Just would like to see them mix in a few quick hitting hand offs without the mesh point which will help to use our OL size more to their advantage.

This. When you run 69% of the time, the hesitation when the QB and RB awkwardly stand connected to one before the eventual handoff that everyone knows is going to happen doesn’t accomplish anything. That is, other than to give the defense more time to prepare for the run. Now, if the run/pass split was closer to 50%...

I would like to see the Gophers run some more quick hitting run plays. They are using the read option appearance to try to make the defense respect the QB but I think the vast majority of these plays are called handoffs. This long mesh point allows the interior to collapse a bit especially when you are playing against smaller, quicker DL. Just would like to see them mix in a few quick hitting hand offs without the mesh point which will help to use our OL size more to their advantage.

Gophs don't run a read option offense.

I agree. From where I was sitting, it sure looked like Morgan could have kept the ball several times, similar to his touchdown run. Haven’t looked at the tape, not sure if it was a read or a called keep. If he becomes more of a running threat. It just makes everything go on offense. That’s why I am hoping that Greene is getting QB reps in practice, just think what happens if he becomes proficient running the RPO. Sounds exciting.

I agree. From where I was sitting, it sure looked like Morgan could have kept the ball several times, similar to his touchdown run. Haven’t looked at the tape, not sure if it was a read or a called keep. If he becomes more of a running threat. It just makes everything go on offense. That’s why I am hoping that Greene is getting QB reps in practice, just think what happens if he becomes proficient running the RPO. Sounds exciting.

Except Seth almost always keeps it, opposite of Morgan

I know, you should go back and read my post more carefully. As I explained, nearly every running play feigns the appearance of the read option where there is an apparent mesh point between the QB and RB, as the QB makes it look like he is reading the DE. However I’m sure that the vast majority of these are called handoffs and not designed as read option plays. They are designing it like that to make all their run plays look the same initially and thus make the defense respect the QB keeping the football on any given play.

However as I mentioned this action prolongs the RBs time in the backfield and also allows more time for smaller, quicker DL to shake blocks, stunts/twists to develop, etc. Would be interesting to see them mix in a few run plays that are designed as quicker handoffs, as it might allow the OL to use their size/strength to more of an advantage and negate some of the quickness advantage posed by smaller DL.

I have a question for the X's/O's experts here.

On RPO plays, you can't send the OL downfield to block the linebackers, correct? Because that would give you a penalty if you did pass the ball (illegal downfield block). I guess the idea is that the threat of a pass is supposed to confuse the LBs and send them running to pass coverage, or at least prevent them from attacking downhill like a run play?

On a lot of these plays, our OL (or at least a portion of it) is blocking exactly as if a straight run is called. Linemen are firing out, locking up and attempting to drive their targets -- as opposed to pass blocking, which typically is more passive (i.e., positioning yourself as a shield between the QB and the defender). This includes engaging LBs.

Personally, I'm surprised we don't see more "illegal man downfield" penalties.

JTG

Top Bottom