Big Ten Power Rankings - Week 2 Thread

Very odd to use the term "winless" to describe FSU. They lost one game at USC. Bizarre. The more I think about the Fresno game, the more surprised I am. We basically had 5 TOs: 2 lost fumbles, and 3 penalties in which we would be getting the ball. In fact, I'm not sure why a third down penalty that would otherwise have resulted in a 4th and long is not considered a TO or at least some kind of separate category. I think they were all 3 and outs too, which really could have changed the game and wore out their defense.

Army will finish the season ranked, they're a good team

I can't say for sure whether they'll finish the season ranked due to the human element, but yes, they are a good team and probably won't lose another game this season.

Very odd to use the term "winless" to describe FSU. They lost one game at USC. Bizarre. The more I think about the Fresno game, the more surprised I am. We basically had 5 TOs: 2 lost fumbles, and 3 penalties in which we would be getting the ball. In fact, I'm not sure why a third down penalty that would otherwise have resulted in a 4th and long is not considered a TO or at least some kind of separate category. I think they were all 3 and outs too, which really could have changed the game and wore out their defense.

Said in the thread that asked where people felt we were at after 2 games that the struggle against SDSU suprised me some and the blowout potential against FSU also surprised me.

I know the whole "if this didn't happen then this would have happened...." thing doesn't work in sports but with that said, if we stay out of our own way (penalties, bad snaps, muffed punt....) there is a chance that game is a route. The Devers penalty really shifted the tone of the game since we had them stopped and would have gotten the ball back with the lead and things going our way.

The important part is we are being tested and finding ways to win. That experience/confidence could pay big dividends later in the season when we get into a tight game. Team should have some confidence that they can make the plays necessary to get the W.

Seems like...MN fans jump on other teams (Purdue, Meb) that narrowly lose or struggle because of turnovers, penalties but rationalize when it comes to the home team. Bottom line is the team hasn’t looked great the first two weeks, particularly week 1. Whether we like it or not margin of victory, style points, etc matter to human beings. SDSU being a good FCS program doesn’t move the needle in court of public opinion.

Some of the teams that look stellar (Maryland, Michigan, Iowa) will surely have rougher games going forward while (hopefully) MN will get better. Lots of things to clean up.

Michigan looks stellar? I assume you mean Michigan State?

Oops, yeah left out Wisconsin. Don’t know what I was thinking there...not Umich

Power rankings are useless when almost none of these teams have played each other yet.

Power rankings are useless when almost none of these teams have played each other yet.

I'd argue that power rankings based on teams that have already played each other is a lot less fun. There is a much less whimsical tool you can use once teams have played each other and it is called the "standings." Until that is available, it is sort of fun to speculate which teams are better - therefore the power rankings. If you disagree, go ahead and do a 2005 power rankings and let us know what you come up with. :)

Saturday Blitz chimes in:

11. MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS
2-0 Last Week: W 38-35 2OT @ Fresno State
Minnesota Golden Gophers Football
Saturday’s win over Fresno State marked the third straight 2-0 start for the Minnesota Golden Gophers under PJ Fleck in as many years. Minnesota will look to carry a similar streak, by starting off 3-0 for the third straight year under Fleck as they play Georgia Southern at home this upcoming Saturday,

https://saturdayblitz.com/2019/09/11/big-ten-football-power-rankings-week-3-2019/2/

Go Gophers!!

Big Ten "Look" rankings: (i.e. teams that look good but may not be the best necessarily)

1. Maryland - WTF? They beat the pants off the only challenge on Clemson's schedule? Or was Syracuse looking ahead to hosting Clemson?

2. Wisconsin - Dominating the lowly is always a good way to look good.

3. Ohio State - Looking good Lewis! But when your wearing Hugo Boss playing against K-Mart specials its easy.

4. Penn State - Dominant, but they got their best rivalry game this week.

5. Michigan State - I'm not getting sucked in by the rare offensive showing from Sparta! We all know they are known for defense.

6. Iowa - Easy Peasy so far. We see how they do against the Cyclones next.

7. Indiana - Hoosier Daddy? Playing well against the cupcakes!

8. Illinois - Yep, Illinois has won impressively so far. Let's see how quickly that disintegrates.

9. MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS - Survived two hard fought games which were competitively scheduled. No cupcakes till....this weekend. Better pass the eye-test. Or be passed by:

10. Michigan - Oh my! Thoughts of this being the year almost popped against a service team! Not exactly top ten performance.

11. Purdue - Yeah, they lost a game, but nice recovery against a Power 6 team! Can they do it again?

12. Nebraska - How can I possibly have the predicted B1G west Champs 12th? Win a road game Frost! Then you can move up.

13. Northwestern - That initial game against Stanford looks a little less good after the Trojans marched all over the trees.

14. Rutgers - they're Rutgers, of course they are last! Quit shopping at the Salvation Army Store would ya!

The national media had to completely ignore the fact Maryland beat Texas last year in order to make any sense out of having a Big 12 team in the CFP.

They may have to ignore Maryland’s complete dismantling of Syracuse this year to keep an eventual 1-loss ACC champion in the conversation.

Top Bottom