POLL - What is your reaction to not rolling our first two non-conference opponents?

What is your reaction to not rolling our first two non-conference opponents?

• I'm no longer watching this team they are so bad!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
What is your reaction to not rolling our first two non-conference opponents?

Being a GSU fan and after our last game it makes me feel a little better.

Against Maine GSU had 395 rushing yard and 458 total yards & only 28 points!
GSUs defensive gave up 307 passing yards 52 rushing yards against them.

I know the Gophers are a lot better than Maine!

Last edited:

Concerned about the SDSU game and the way the team lost the line of scrimmage.

Felt fine not rolling Fresno. I was just hoping the Gophers would win that one. I know they lost a few dudes but that's a really solid foe on the road.

We are 2-0, so I am not upset or panicking. I thought we would look better than we did, and if we had, I might be a little more optimistic in terms of number of total wins for the season. But, as long as we keep winning, who cares how we look doing it?

I trust Fleck, when he says these were two very difficult opponents.

We made a lot of mistakes in both games. Could easily be 0-2 right now.

But we’re 2-0, have found a way to win both games, and I expect us to win the next game and hopefully a bit more easily.

Easy one for me. Games were tougher than I thought they would be or think they should have been, but still believe this squad can win 9 when they put it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The score is less of a concern than the dork ups, line play, holes in the secondary etc.

Last edited:

I'm not surprised either game was tough. They were both teams that knew how to win and we're not talented enough to blow anyone out. I like we found a way to win both games. SDSU probably should have won, but they choked at a critical moment and we took advantage. Fresno St probably should have won but they also choked at a critical moment. Just like Army should have beat Michigan, but choked. It happens. 2-0 is better than any other choice. We win this next week and we're all but assured a bowl game. The team needs to keep getting better. I think we have yet to unveil everything we can do.

I like winning, even if games are close.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

UMaine loss 26-18 to Georgai Southern. The Gophers better be ready to stop the option run or it will be a long day.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/09/07/sports/umaine-sports/late-rally-comes-up-short-as-georgia-southern-beats-umaine-football-team/

These non-conference games are a lot tougher than imagined. It is a good learning experience. The Gophers cannot and should not take anyone lightly. Let's hope they continue to win winnable games and not let them slip away.

The major concern after the first game was the line play on both sides. Yesterday was much better. The main issues against Fresno St was turnovers, penalties, and other very fixable things.

UMaine loss 26-18 to Georgai Southern. The Gophers better be ready to stop the option run or it will be a long day.

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/09/07/sports/umaine-sports/late-rally-comes-up-short-as-georgia-southern-beats-umaine-football-team/

These non-conference games are a lot tougher than imagined. It is a good learning experience. The Gophers cannot and should not take anyone lightly. Let's hope they continue to win winnable games and not let them slip away.

"The Eagles had eight rushes of 21 yards or more including four of at least 45 yards.
Georgia Southern averaged 7.6 yards per carry.
For the first time since 2012, Georgia Southern had three players rush for 100 or more yards in a game. Redshirt sophomore running back Matt LaRoche had nine carries for 154 yards, redshirt freshman quarterback Justin Tomlin was 11-for-132 and redshirt sophomore running back Logan Wright gained 114 yards on 15 carries."

This sounds good but GSUs RED ZONE PLAY. - "To its credit, the Black Bear defense buckled down impressively in the red zone (inside the 20 yard-line), limiting the Eagles to one touchdown, and a career-high four field goals by Tyler Bass, in seven attempts in the zone"

Last edited:

They were a bit tougher than I expected, but I also wasn't thinking they'd be easy. Despite being at different levels they're still good teams, and when you make mistakes against them, they're going to exploit it. Overall, we won and those mistakes can be corrected. Not too concerned.

Lookout, this is our Superbowl!

Well this is finally GSU week! Let the fun begin!

Lookout, this is our Superbowl!

Well this is finally GSU week! Let the fun begin!

I would think if the Gophers win this one it will just be another win for the gophers making them 3-0.

It would mean a lot to GSU because your a P5 team.

The major concern after the first game was the line play on both sides. Yesterday was much better. The main issues against Fresno St was turnovers, penalties, and other very fixable things.

I agree, but I a still concerned that our DL aren't defeating/ the opponents hands. FSU took holding to a different level on virtually every play on the first two or three series. Our team has to get better at getting out of the the opponents clutches.

I'm not surprised either game was tough. They were both teams that knew how to win and we're not talented enough to blow anyone out. I like we found a way to win both games. SDSU probably should have won, but they choked at a critical moment and we took advantage. Fresno St probably should have won but they also choked at a critical moment. Just like Army should have beat Michigan, but choked. It happens. 2-0 is better than any other choice. We win this next week and we're all but assured a bowl game. The team needs to keep getting better. I think we have yet to unveil everything we can do.

Just a random/ silly thought. Do you think the staff is intentionally coaching these games to be tight, knowing that the team has to learn how to win tight games?

I didn't expect either game to be a "roll over" but they were closer than I expected. The way the team played last night gives me faith for this season. Fortunately our schedule is quite favorable for the next month so they'll have time to iron out a lot of the bumps before the best competition comes around

One of the Minnesota sports writers voted for us in the AP pole, so we’re on our way.

Just a random/ silly thought. Do you think the staff is intentionally coaching these games to be tight, knowing that the team has to learn how to win tight games?

Calling such thoughts random/silly is like calling G4L sensible/intelligent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't expect blowouts in either game but the boneheadiness has been frustrating. I think they'll play smarter and better each week...maybe, I dunno.

If they are then PJ Fleck is godlike.

As much as I was annoyed by the mistakes in the last two games (especially last night), I’d rather the team face adversity early in the season (but not injury related), without losing games. The last two seasons, they didn’t really have many “teaching moments” until the stakes were higher. I’d prefer to have fewer of those in the Purdue game than we had in the last two Big Ten openers.

No, I wouldn't think so. I can see holding a FEW offensive plays put away for a bad day, but the last game the Gophers played could have gone the other way if your HC was playing that type of game.

You played a tight game but found a way to win & thats what counts.

Last edited:

I expected the Gophers to dominate against SDSU. I was and am disappointed they didn't. It's South Dakota State, folks! Come on.

However, I never expected to see them cruise to an easy win against Fresno. The Bulldogs are a solid, well coached team from a decent conference. I'm pretty content with how we played against them.

Last edited:

I expected the Gophers to dominate against SDSU. I was and am disappointed they didn't. It's South Dakota State, folks! Come on.

However, I never expected to see them cruise to an easy win against Fresno. The Bulldogs are a solid, well coached team from a decent conference. I'm pretty content with how we played against them.

Ditto. MWC is legit. In just two weeks they've notched wins over FSU, Purdue, Arizona, UCLA, & Missouri. Glad MN is not on that list.

Team played horribly in week 1. Played much better for long stretches last night, but not to their potential. I still believe in the team, but 7 or 8 wins feels more realistic to me now than 9+. Hope I'm wrong.

Concerned about the SDSU game and the way the team lost the line of scrimmage.

Felt fine not rolling Fresno. I was just hoping the Gophers would win that one. I know they lost a few dudes but that's a really solid foe on the road.
Five fumbles and what, seven penalties by Gophs made the Fresno game what it was. Actual play was better. Still pretty vanilla game plan for the most part.

Five fumbles and what, seven penalties by Gophs made the Fresno game what it was. Actual play was better. Still pretty vanilla game plan for the most part.

The dumb penalties will go away for the most part if not completely. When they happen I'm sure their teammates roll their eyes a bit.

It feels like the Gophers are like a fluorescent light that hasn’t quite been installed properly, so it flickers. SDSU was like it was just plain OFF and that was very concerning. It felt like a loss.

The team did flicker on like a light for one stretch in that game when the team’s identity of long, multi-play, demoralizing drives did happen once. It happened more against FSU to the point the light was on more than it wasn’t. The penalties continually gave life to the opponent however and it created more frustration and gifted points to the opponent to the point it required heroics and OT to win.

The next logical step is sustained play where the light doesn’t flicker at all, and then it remains solidly on for some of the upcoming conference foes.

Top Bottom