I hope Fleck shows the team this Nick Saban rant on Georgia Southern.

die hard gopher

Reaction score
Seems like it could be relevant just to keep the guys from letting down and taking practice this week seriously after an emotional win.

"You all don't remember the Georgia Southern game, do you? I don't think we had a guy on that field that didn't play in the NFL and about 4 or 5 of the were first round draft picks. And I think that team won a national championship but I'm not sure. And they ran through our ass like s*** through a tin horn and we could not stop them! Could not stop em! Could not stop em! Because we didn't get a look at practice, we didn't practice it right."

"I think we had given up like 300 yards rushing the whole season in 10 games. Thats like 30 yards a game. And everybody wanted to talk to us about how dominant the front was and how nobody could run against us and they got 300 yards rushing in one game!

Last edited:

But that is when GSU ran the Flex Option not the Shotgun Option as we do now.

Alabama won this game 45-21.

GSU still put up more rushing yards and points than any SEC team did that season.

The score was 38-21 with about 30 sec left with Bama having a 1st down around GSUs 12 yard line. Instead of taking a knee Bama went for it and scored. It doesn't really matter to me because it was up to GSUs defense to keep them out. I think Bama needed to pad the score a bit because they were playing an FCS team.

Last edited:

GSU still put up more rushing yards and points than any SEC team did that season.

The score was 35-21 with about 30 sec left with Bama having a 1st down around GSUs 12 yard line. Instead of taking a knee Bama went for it and scored. It doesn't really matter to me because it was up to GSUs defense to keep them out. I think Bama needed to pad the score a bit because they were playing an FCS team.

It was 38-21 the entire 4th quarter. Alabama did score late. I remember this game very well. Also, google.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=313230333

Last edited:

But that is when GSU ran the Flex Option not the Shotgun Option as we do now.

It is still option play that most B1G teams don't normally see or game plan against. The Gophers cannot take them lightly.

None of these teams can be taken lightly, SD State being a good example. Ever since the 80 scholarship limit, talent has been spread around and really good players know they can get into the NFL from schools like ND State, Georgia Southern, etc. The Gophers' non-con schedule this year is tough - and the conference season will be tough, too, as teams like Maryland and Purdue have improved.

Top Bottom