How good...?

RememberMurray

Reaction score
After seeing that USC beat Stanford, I'm wondering just how good Fresno State is.

The stuff we know:

— Tedford is a helluva good coach.

— They have NFL-caliber talent almost every year.

— West coast trips can be challenging.

Although I was pretty discouraged after watching the SDSU game, I feel much better after Fresno. Out of curiosity I'll be following the Bulldogs to see where they finish.

This morning I feel like Apollo Creed in Rocky.... "Won't be no rematch !" Stay home for non conference games.....

But things change next year with NC games mixed into the schedule after opening with, I believe, Purdue?

Jeff Tedford is a great coach.

Good coach's in college especially make their teams better.

Frenso reminds me of the Gophers in the sense that we saw their ability to dork up ... and ability to jump back in the game. They could have beat USC, or the Gophers.

I remember reading a lot in the offseason that if the Gophers didn't blow out all of the non-conference opponents, they were going to be in a lot of trouble this season.

I guess that means it's going to be a rough year??

I remember reading a lot in the offseason that if the Gophers didn't blow out all of the non-conference opponents, they were going to be in a lot of trouble this season.

We're two games in. Hot takes everywhere both ways from all different types of opinion sets and fans.

We're two games in. Hot takes everywhere both ways from all different types of opinion sets and fans.

Coming from the person who was adamant if the Gophers had any close non-conference games, it was going to be a long year. Care to reinforce that stance?

Fresno will be interesting they avoid Wyoming and Boise State on their schedule. They should win their remaining non con games. They do have some tough road games in conference. SDSU usually solid, Air Force will be a challenge. Hawaii never an easy trip, but they should be an 8-9 win team. Probably should've won by two TD's, too many boneheaded penalties and turn overs

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They are a good team - they can move the ball, they stuffed our running game much of the night (second straight week) and they play with a lot of enthusiasm. They will have their share of wins. Plus South Dakota St should be highly ranked in their division. These two wins are huge as far as getting into a bowl. If we can beat the teams we should beat, we'll make six wins. After that, the schedule is very tough for us (Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue on the road), Maryland, Penn State, Wisconsin at home. We'll need a more imaginative offense to win some of those games.

As usual, speaking in partial truths. smh

I will point 3 things out to you....

1. B1G Play hasn’t even started yet so even if the whole World yelled that from the mountain tops - it is yet to be proven true or false.

2. If we play as poorly as we did vs SDSU (why it was so close) and/or make as many big errors as we did vs FSU (why it was so close), we will be in a lot of trouble come B1G games.

3. All that matters is talent rankings anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone actually said that if we didn't blow out Fresno in Fresno it was going to be a bad year? I don't think you're remembering things clearly.

I don't know about the first line being a sure thing.

But that second line is still a very real possibility IMO.

The line play in the first game could result in a horrific season, the dorkups of the second game also result in bad things, that mid-range coverage by the secondary (or lack of it) could be a huge weakness... how quickly we can tamp down issues could result in the season going either direction.

I don't know about the first line being a sure thing.

But that second line is still a very real possibility IMO.

The line play in the first game could result in a horrific season, the dorkups of the second game also result in bad things, that mid-range coverage by the secondary (or lack of it) could be a huge weakness... how quickly we can tamp down issues could result in the season going either direction.

The way our OL played in game 2 was really encouraging after the first week.

As far as the defense, it was pretty solid tonight. You can't cover everyone all of the time, but our numbers would have looked pretty impressive (against a decent offense) if we didn't muff the punt and have those three calls extend dead drives. I know, if grandma had a P she'd be grandpa, I know. But I thought our defense was encouraging considering the circumstances.

Someone actually said that if we didn't blow out Fresno in Fresno it was going to be a bad year? I don't think you're remembering things clearly.

I was one who predicted before the season that I thought we should beat FSU easily. I also recall saying that if we don’t start 3-0 that I will be disappointed and doubt my prediction of winning 9 this year. In the World of “half truths” that GWG consistently shows he lives in on here I suspect this is close enough.

Way to enjoy the win. I mean, if you have to piss in the punch bowl I suppose we could list all the deficiencies and ongoing concerns from the first two games ...go on...if you must.

As for me, still expecting 8+ wins and hoping for more but it’s looking like it’s going to be a tough slate week in and week out.

Way to enjoy the win. I mean, if you have to piss in the punch bowl I suppose we could list all the deficiencies and ongoing concerns from the first two games ...go on...if you must.

As for me, still expecting 8+ wins and hoping for more but it’s looking like it’s going to be a tough slate week in and week out.

Pissing in the punch bowl huh? That's funny considering the three posters that piss in the punch bowl the most are you, Spoofin, and PMWinSTP.

All I asked PMWinSTP is if his stance was still the same as it was 3 months ago? Why is that such a horrible question? Mine is still the same. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Here you go. And I bumped the thread.

My Lord, heaven forbid Gophs improve. If Gophs aren't 3-0 going away with how they ended 2018, we all need to be worried. Fresno is predicted to have a big drop-off from every article I've read.

And

We can’t win 9 if we are afraid of Fresno State. Good Grief. We should roll Fresno.

Last edited:

According to Fleck, most of our games will end with us winning or losing by less than a touchdown.
Be prepared to take a lot of Tums this fall.

According to Fleck, most of our games will end with us winning or losing by less than a touchdown.
Be prepared to take a lot of Tums this fall.

That would actually be kind of fun. The Gophers played almost exclusively blowouts last year.

And USC didn't just beat #22 Stanford....they beat them handily. They had a much easier time with Stanford than they did with Fresno. So really....it's hard to gauge how good Fresno actually is.

And USC didn't just beat #22 Stanford....they beat them handily. They had a much easier time with Stanford than they did with Fresno. So really....it's hard to gauge how good Fresno actually is.

I saw that and was all "Wait does Stanford suck or something?"

USC still looked really uneven in that Fresno game. I'm a bit surprised Stanford didn't walk over them.

Minnesota 39 in the Sagarin Ratings.

Just getting home, I enjoyed the win, despite the people. I am very concerned about both lines. Particularly the defensive line. Not sure we can stop the running backs we will see in the BIG. I am hoping that Rossi has played vanilla and we will see different alignments, stunts, etc.. in the near future. Can’t really name a defensive stopper up front. Disappointed in the transfers (ND, Ellsworth JC) . Not sure how many plays they actually played, but didn‘t see much.

Our 2 toughest games were PSU and FSU. We are 1-0 on them already. PSU, WI, IA, NB, and NW are the only teams left that should give us a game. THe coaches need to keep moving the team forward. It will be a good year with a good bowl game.

Our 2 toughest games were PSU and FSU. We are 1-0 on them already. PSU, WI, IA, NB, and NW are the only teams left that should give us a game. THe coaches need to keep moving the team forward. It will be a good year with a good bowl game.

Are you forgetting Maryland? If you think Northwestern and Nebraska are going to give us a game, then you have to include Maryland.

Every team in the conference schedule will give the Gophers a game.

Last edited:

this is a completely different ball game if Devers does not take that moronic penalty. I think we cruise if things were different. But alas, we escaped.

Maryland will be our toughest game this year. Book it.

Top Bottom