Michael Lantz

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
After a shaky game against SDSU, he rebounded big time, and showed great composure in very high pressure spots, on the road.

My question is, why isn’t he kicking off? According to this article, he kicked 59 of 62 touchbacks in his Senior year in high school. After the shaky KO coverage against SDSU, I’d rather just give it to them at the 25, and call it a day.

https://247sports.com/college/minne...esota-Lands-3-star-K-Michael-Lantz-126368743/

Do they kick off from they same spot in Georgia high school football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they are taking his freshman year to just focus on field goals?

I dreaded every single kick. But he drilled 'em all. I'm a fan.

JTG

Maybe in practice Ryerse kicks further and won the job???

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Nice to see a MN. kicker make a big kick under pressure.

We have been spoiled for a number of years at that position. Gotta look at the big picture.

Maybe in practice Ryerse kicks further and won the job???

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Maybe, but his kickoffs typically reach about the 5 yard line, and I mentioned Lantz’s high school stat of 59 of 62 touchbacks. Maybe I’m missing something.

There has to be a reason why PJ Fleck offered him a scholarship. IMHO, he will bring stability in kicking.

Maybe, but his kickoffs typically reach about the 5 yard line, and I mentioned Lantz’s high school stat of 59 of 62 touchbacks. Maybe I’m missing something.
Weather conditions? Both teams had their kickoffs go further when kicking with the wind.

I'd guess Fleck is playing the kicker that who performs the best on kickoffs. It really isn't a super nuanced skill - - I think it's one of the few assessments that would be pretty cut and dry.

So I'd guess there is something you're missing.
Maybe his HS stats on kickoffs are inflated.
Maybe your recollection of Ryerse's kickoffs is off. Ryerse had numerous touchbacks yesterday going to one end and kicked to about the 3-5 on the other end (note - the Fresno kicker who is known for a big leg was doing the exact same thing).
Maybe Ryerse and Lanz are really close and Fleck wants to limit the true freshman's responsibilities.

Weather conditions? Both teams had their kickoffs go further when kicking with the wind.

That was definitely the case last night. The team were alternating who left it returnable and who put it out the back of the end zone.

OK, Ryerse had two touchbacks in each game. Not a great percentage, but I’ll wait and see what he does going forward. My guess is most of his kicks will land in between the goal line and the 5.

They do kickoff 5 yards closer to the end zone in high school

They do kickoff 5 yards closer to the end zone in high school

You’re right.

Anyway, here’s Lantz’s highlight video. The KOs he included were from the 40 and either went through the end zone, or close to it. So, he can boot it 70+. Maybe he had the wind at his back for those. Who knows.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2As6F6

No big deal. I was just wondering.

At the one open practice I was able to attend, both Lantz and Ryerse did some KO's.
Ryerse had better hang time on all of his kicks and both had good distance putting a couple in the endzone and a couple down inside the 5.
with the better hang time it gives the KO team another step or two down the field, guessing that is why they have Grant doing KO's

I think they are coaching Ryerse to kick high and get them to catch around the 5. If they fair catch it is just like a touchback. If they muff you have a chance for a turnover, if they run hopefully the arc and coverage keeps them in the 25.

Bottom line: Lantz was “money” in Fresno! We needed each of his kicks or we were toast.

Since we have a roster full of kickers, why does it matter who kicks off and who kicks field goals? For years, the Vikings had their punter kick off.

I'll take the best at each any day.

Top Bottom