Top 25 - AP and Coaches Polls

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
I wasn't aware, but on the broadcast they said we were receiving votes.
I checked and Coaches poll we had 3 votes which put us 43rd (tied with Fresno St).
For AP poll we were 37th.

Top 25 losers this week:
#9 Texas
#12 Texas A&M
#14 Washington
#21 Syracuse
#23 Stanford
#25 Nebraska

I would guess bottom three drop out.

Candidates to move in to the Top 25.

USC
Virginia
Mississippi State
Oklahoma State
Arizona State
Minnesota
North Carolina
Boston College
Colorado
Maryland
Memphis
Appalachian State

Nebraska will move up to #20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quickest the Gophers sneaking into the Top 25 may happen is after beating Purdue.

Maryland will likely be ranked. Cal should make a big jump too for being 2-0 and beating Washington.

The quickest the Gophers sneaking into the Top 25 may happen is after beating Purdue.

I wish this were the case but it's going to take at least through beating Nebraska to go to 6-0. We're going to get nothing in the polls from GaSo or Illinois and I don't know if Purdue closes the 12 team gap right now. Plus a few teams like Nebraska are going to start jumping Minnesota in late September even with one loss.

I wish this were the case but it's going to take at least through beating Nebraska to go to 6-0. We're going to get nothing in the polls from GaSo or Illinois and I don't know if Purdue closes the 12 team gap right now. Plus a few teams like Nebraska are going to start jumping Minnesota in late September even with one loss.

Nebraska will likely lose again before September is done.

A lot can happen in CFB in 3-4 weeks.

Rankings will come eventually as long as this team improves.
Rankings are nice and get you more media coverage, but don't matter unless you are vying for CFP. We aren't there yet.

MN looked better in all phases in Week 2 compared to Week 1, even with the mistakes.
They need to keep improving each week to where they are playing their best football in November.

Rankings will come eventually as long as this team improves.
Rankings are nice and get you more media coverage, but don't matter unless you are vying for CFP. We aren't there yet.

MN looked better in all phases in Week 2 compared to Week 1, even with the mistakes.
They need to keep improving each week to where they are playing their best football in November.

All phases? No they didn't.

Last edited:

Rush game was weak. Center spraying it all over the place. Times of unblocked or poorly blocked pass rush. Fumbles. Penalties. Other than that better.

Rush game was weak. Center spraying it all over the place. Times of unblocked or poorly blocked pass rush. Fumbles. Penalties. Other than that better.

There were whole drives where we actually got push up front from our OL. Not consistent the whole game, but better than Week 1.
Besides the muff punt, ST looked way better (Lantz XP and FG looked great)
LB looked better with Kamal in there, but have a long way to go with coverage (looking at you Barber)

Long ways to go, but BETTER than week 1.

There were whole drives where we actually got push up front from our OL. Not consistent the whole game, but better than Week 1.
LB looked better with Kamal in there, but have a long way to go with coverage (looking at you Barber)

IIRC they had a pretty lightweight defense. I guess I’d expect we should be able to move them and average 4-5 yards per carry unless the numbers are such there are unblocked defenders in the backfield or around the LOS but I didn’t really see. As it was looks like 2.8 for the game. Someone will need to review and see what’s going on, whether we’re not exploiting a number advantage downfield or whether it’s more of a line or back issue. Maybe as others point out slow developing run plays are an issue when combined with a lack of push or a number disadvantage.

Completely depends on who loses above them.
They could be 26-30 on everyone’s list but only got one vote.
The right 6-7 teams lose and the gophers win and they’re ranked next week.

Or it might take to week 9

amazing no votes at all in the AP and that 41 (and behind Hawaii?) in the coaches

IIRC they had a pretty lightweight defense. .

If you were watching closely you would've seen that yes, the poor, undersized FSU DL had to contend with a much bigger OL...with the combined weight of a grizzly bear!1!!! #CBSSN

You're right; definitely better than Week 1. No question.

If you were watching closely you would've seen that yes, the poor, undersized FSU DL had to contend with a much bigger OL...with the combined weight of a grizzly bear!1!!! #CBSSN

Yeah that was by far one of the dumbest things I have heard on a broadcast. Besides what good is all that weight when your QB has a weak arm?

Yes and No. tightened up the sloppy play from week one, and then were sloppy in different ways in Fresno.

The difference was against SDSU we were outplayed in many ways. Against Fresno it was mental errors and mistakes of the more correctable variety.

Top Bottom