Tanner Morgan

hello-world

Reaction score
I know it wasn't the people here, but this narrative about Tanner having a weak arm is complete BS.
Our offense isn't bombing throws downfield, that doesn't mean that he has a weak arm.
This guy has completed 70% of his passes through two games. I cannot remember the last time the Gophers had a passer who was even close to that accurate.
He handles all sorts of pre-snap BS.
Honestly, I think he is the best QB in modern Gopher history. His improvisation and accuracy have saved our asses more times than I can count and he hasn't even played a full season. I'm really sick of seeing people try to blame him for things like low snaps. He has been as good as anyone could ask for since taking over last year.

Last edited:

Agreed. He is 100% capable of leading this team. My one knock is ball security. He needs to clean that up which I am confident that he will. All the "game manager" talk is ridiculous. He is a gamer.

I know it wasn't the people here, but this narrative about Tanner having a weak arm is complete BS.
Our offense isn't bombing throws downfield, that doesn't mean that he has a weak arm.
This guy has completed 70% of his passes through two games. I cannot remember the last time the Gophers had a passer who was even close to that accurate.
Honestly, I think he's better than Weber. I'm really sick of seeing people try to blame him for these mistakes. He has been as good as anyone could ask for since taking over last year.

Now you’ve done it. #Oneofus

Honestly, I think he is the best QB in modern Gopher history. His improvisation and accuracy have saved our asses more times than I can count and he hasn't even played a full season. I'm really sick of seeing people try to blame him for things like low snaps. He has been as good as anyone could ask for since taking over last year.

solid edit haha. I agree he doesn't have a "weak arm". He's not a Luck or Manning out there but it's not like he's got a noodle arm. He hangs his outs some but the one that was almost picked wasn't arm weakness like they tried to claim it was, it was missing a throw inside that needs to be missed outside if it's going to be missed.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I think people view him as the backup QB, which automatically brings him down a notch in their minds. Also, his own coaching staff calls him a game manager, and they like to mention that he doesn’t have a strong arm. I’m not sure whether there’s a psychological reason for that, but it’s a little strange. Whatever works, I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Anyone know why Morgan was limping so much?

I think we need to keep in mind that these TV crews who cover the Gophers are usually seeing the team for the first time. So the Wednesday before they game, they know ZERO about our players.
Then they start studying up for a bit and have a conversation or two, and read what has been written about the players to prep for the game.

Much of this is regurgitated stuff which ends up getting said over and over and over.

Vikings Example: "Adam Thielen was an undrafted free agent."

So even though his arm might not be a rocket arm, every TV head who learns about him puts on his own spin then during the game will point out any example to prove what they have been saying.

Last night's game Morgan had a dose of that Keenum 2017 magic.

I agree. His arm strength is just fine. He definitely is a “gamer”. He generally has very good pocket awareness, and has a nack for fixing a broken play. Accuracy is very good. Glad we have him!

6-2 as a starter and is 2 games into his sophomore season! Last night showed composure. Fumbles on 3rd down with game on the line. Next play, throws a beautiful TD ball to CAB.

Anyone know why Morgan was limping so much?

Yeah I'm worried about this too. His mobility helps him a lot and he was wearing a brace in the end.
On another note his 4th down throw for the TD to CAB was a thing of beauty! He's giving his guys a chance most of the time which is so nice to see, been a long time since we've seen that consistently.

My guess is we will be hearing knocks on TM for 4-years..... and he will find ways to win games for 4-years. He doesn’t fit the mold, but dude know how to win.

His y/a for the season is 10.0, which is 2nd in the Big Ten (Clifford, PSU) and 14th in the country.

His passer rating is 174, which is 4th in the Big Ten (Clifford, Fields, Coan) and 26th in the country.

Last edited:

Of all the issues this team has, Morgan and his noodle arm are not currently one of them.

I’m stunned he can hold the ball at all with how weak his arm is.

I’ve always liked TM. I believe he has a good arm and it’s a lot stronger than ZA. Idk why a majority of people like ZA. I’ll take Tanner every Saturday.

Fighter. Baller. Gamer.

He seems to have the perfect personality type to lead this team.

Of all the issues this team has, Morgan and his noodle arm are not currently one of them.

I’m stunned he can hold the ball at all with how weak his arm is.

The announcers were riding the weak arm thing really hard last night. Morgan doesn't have a weak arm he just doesn't have a rocket arm like some QBs do where they can zip a ball into super tight windows with extreme velocity.

The game manager label will always be applied to him because he doesn't make the spectacular or flashy plays that end up on sportscenter all the time. He is steady, makes good decisions and as the throw to CAB illustrates, can make the big throw in a do or die situation.

In this day and age, any QB that doesn't run a lot in college football will be called a game manager.

I’ve always liked TM. I believe he has a good arm and it’s a lot stronger than ZA. Idk why a majority of people like ZA. I’ll take Tanner every Saturday.

I'm good with Morgan at QB but it is interesting that when they go head to head in practice it seems like ZA keeps getting the slight edge over TM. We haven't seen enough of ZA in games to know exactly what it is that the coaches see in him that seems to give him the advantage over Morgan.

Exciting thing about both guys is that they are still really young. Morgan only has 8 games under his belt and should only keep getting better as he gets more and more game experience.

Honestly, I think he is the best QB in modern Gopher history.

I've only been a dedicated fan since the 2013 season but, in my opinion, he is the best Gopher QB I've seen in that stretch.

The game manager label will always be applied to him because he doesn't make the spectacular or flashy plays that end up on sportscenter all the time.

Correct, not all the time, but that TD pass to Autman-Bell last night and that TD pass to Bateman last week were pretty darn flashy.

I think we have to keep in mind that part of the reason the "game manager" label is attached to him is that the Gophers' offensive game plan so far has been pretty dogmatic and more-than-a-little predictable. I don't know how many times last night I said to myself on second down: "ran on first down again and didn't get anything so this will be a pass play." I think Tanner faces a little tighter controls than some other QBs. What was impressive was how often he completed passes when Fresno's defense knew he had to pass.

The announcers were riding the weak arm thing really hard last night. Morgan doesn't have a weak arm he just doesn't have a rocket arm like some QBs do where they can zip a ball into super tight windows with extreme velocity.

The game manager label will always be applied to him because he doesn't make the spectacular or flashy plays that end up on sportscenter all the time. He is steady, makes good decisions and as the throw to CAB illustrates, can make the big throw in a do or die situation.

In this day and age, any QB that doesn't run a lot in college football will be called a game manager.

Those are starting to accumulate, though. The long TD to Bateman week definitely qualifies, in addition to the one to CAB last night. He doesn’t attempt many throws over the top, but he’s successful on a very high percentage of them (Georgia Tech, Indiana).

But, I agree, he’s not a flashy player. If he was throwing 30-40 times per game and averaging 300+, he’d have a lot more of those flashy plays, but he might also be dead with this pass protection.

Hasn’t started the equivalent of a full season yet, either. Should continue to improve if he can stay healthy.

Hasn’t started the equivalent of a full season yet, either. Should continue to improve if he can stay healthy.

I wouldn't bet on that. He already looks to have a serious injury with all the limping he was doing last night.

I wouldn't bet on that. He already looks to have a serious injury with all the limping he was doing last night.

He was dinged up for sure, doesn't mean it was definitely a serious injury though. Best case scenario would be make quick work of GSU so that Morgan can get out of the game and then have the bye week to rest and recover.

He does need to stop locking on and stare at his primary receiver so much. He had some wide open guys on a couple of his sacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the topic of him being “weak”, there was the play on the last possession (I think) where he got blasted on his blind side and was able to hold onto the football. That’s a fumble for a lot of QBs.

Top Bottom