Tanner Morgan

On the arm - look, Morgan does not have a great arm. He has an adequate arm. I think we can agree on that. That does not mean Morgan is a bad QB. As others have pointed out, you can win games and be a successful QB without a great arm.

That all depends on having a balanced offense - AND on the coaches setting up pass plays and routes that play to the QB's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It's like a baseball pitcher - if the pitcher can't throw a change-up, you don't ask him to throw the change-up.

With Morgan, if there is a certain route he does not throw as well, you don't call that route. period.

What it does do is this - if the defense thinks it does not have to worry about certain routes - deep flys, deep crossing routes, etc - they will adjust their defense accordingly and try to take away the routes the Gophers do run. That really puts the onus on Morgan to be accurate and smart - avoid bad throws into coverage, etc. That is part of being a game manager - making good choices.

On the arm - look, Morgan does not have a great arm. He has an adequate arm. I think we can agree on that. That does not mean Morgan is a bad QB. As others have pointed out, you can win games and be a successful QB without a great arm.

That all depends on having a balanced offense - AND on the coaches setting up pass plays and routes that play to the QB's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It's like a baseball pitcher - if the pitcher can't throw a change-up, you don't ask him to throw the change-up.

With Morgan, if there is a certain route he does not throw as well, you don't call that route. period.

What it does do is this - if the defense thinks it does not have to worry about certain routes - deep flys, deep crossing routes, etc - they will adjust their defense accordingly and try to take away the routes the Gophers do run. That really puts the onus on Morgan to be accurate and smart - avoid bad throws into coverage, etc. That is part of being a game manager - making good choices.

I don't know if I agree with any criticisms of Morgan's "arm". Being able to throw the ball a mile is not an accurate estimate of an "arm". Accuracy and zip in medium to long passes (15-25 yards) is the gauge. He has shown he can do that.

So far defenses can't figure out the Gopher passing game--and it is going to get worse for the defenses. Minnesota has 4 (I include Paulson) excellent receiving weapons...who do you cover?

Morgan had plenty of zip on multiple key plays. Just because he doesn't seem to be able to throw it 60 yards on a Hail Mary type play does make an "arm". Accuracy is most important.

My guess is we will be hearing knocks on TM for 4-years..... and he will find ways to win games for 4-years. He doesn’t fit the mold, but dude know how to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanner Morgan will endure what Adam Weber had to. Adam Weber was dogged with criticism throughout his career, but managed to be one of the best QBs ever to done a Gopher uniform.

Both are very workmanlike and did their best.

A Look At Some Of The Greatest Gopher Quarterbacks:

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2011...t-some-of-the-greatest-of-gopher-quarterbacks

Tanner Morgan will endure what Adam Weber had to. Adam Weber was dogged with criticism throughout his career, but managed to be one of the best QBs ever to done a Gopher uniform.

Both are very workmanlike and did their best.

A Look At Some Of The Greatest Gopher Quarterbacks:

https://www.thedailygopher.com/2011...t-some-of-the-greatest-of-gopher-quarterbacks

Weber is a great comp for Morgan. They are very similar players, had Weber not had to endure the revolving door at OC during his time here he could have had an even better career most likely.

We’ve not seen stats like these in a long, long time.

2018 third down 27/40 68% 5 TDs 0 interceptions 187 rating
2019 third downs 8/10 80% 2 TDs 0 interceptions 254 rating which included a drop last night IIRC

How long has it been since MN fans can feel like there’s a better than even chance of converting a low percentage third down play. Clutch factor off the charts and he still has a lot of room to get better.

He's on track to challenge the leaders statistically if he keeps playing the way he does. Zack Annexstad has to find a way to stay healthy. I don't care who starts or who is a backup. We've got two quality selfless QBs. These two guys are leaders.

I think we need to keep in mind that these TV crews who cover the Gophers are usually seeing the team for the first time. So the Wednesday before they game, they know ZERO about our players.
Then they start studying up for a bit and have a conversation or two, and read what has been written about the players to prep for the game.

Much of this is regurgitated stuff which ends up getting said over and over and over.

Vikings Example: "Adam Thielen was an undrafted free agent."

So even though his arm might not be a rocket arm, every TV head who learns about him puts on his own spin then during the game will point out any example to prove what they have been saying.

This. Remember the stretch of games last year when announcers kept assuring us that "Tyler Johnson never drops balls like that." Cuz somebody earlier in the season said that, even though Johnson drops balls nearly every freaking game!

JTG

PJ's thoughts on Morgan (8:00 mark). Summarized: "He's a winner".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bEHRrWdvIQQ?start=480" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He was dinged up for sure, doesn't mean it was definitely a serious injury though. Best case scenario would be make quick work of GSU so that Morgan can get out of the game and then have the bye week to rest and recover.

The gophs will have to be up by 40 and running at will for one of the frosh to enter the game sooner than mid-4th qtr.

He does need to stop locking on and stare at his primary receiver so much. He had some wide open guys on a couple of his sacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if the locking thing isn't a reflection of lack of confidence in time to throw? I did see several times where he did go through progressions and also run and survey the whole field prior to throwing the ball.

I don't know if I agree with any criticisms of Morgan's "arm". Being able to throw the ball a mile is not an accurate estimate of an "arm". Accuracy and zip in medium to long passes (15-25 yards) is the gauge. He has shown he can do that.

So far defenses can't figure out the Gopher passing game--and it is going to get worse for the defenses. Minnesota has 4 (I include Paulson) excellent receiving weapons...who do you cover?

Morgan had plenty of zip on multiple key plays. Just because he doesn't seem to be able to throw it 60 yards on a Hail Mary type play does make an "arm". Accuracy is most important.

Agree with you. All the carping about him not having a bazooka really misses the point. In this offense, it's going to boil down to him making the reads and delivering it on time. I haven't watched him close enough to make a rock-solid estimation, but, to me, it's going to be about his release and that looks to be pretty good.

Pull out whatever cliche you'd like. Tough kid. Gamer. Whatever. He looks light years better than either Nelson or Leidner (at least at this point) to me.

Last night's game Morgan had a dose of that Keenum 2017 magic.

I disagree. That is what Morgan does. He's done it many times before. He rallies our team. He did it when the Jackrabbits took the lead last week. He brings us back to win. It's a mental will to win that leads the team. And it is something special.

I disagree. That is what Morgan does. He's done it many times before. He rallies our team. He did it when the Jackrabbits took the lead last week. He brings us back to win. It's a mental will to win that leads the team. And it is something special.
Pretty much what Keenum did that season

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

One thing I continue to impressed with is his accuracy. I’m not just talking about completion percentage, the ball to CAB against Fresno, and the deep ball to Bateman against SDSU, but his ability to hit his receivers in stride with perfect strikes, allowing them to gain YAC. Very rarely do they have to slow down, or adjust, and he’s even shown the ability to do this on the run. He’s even starting to fit it into tight windows, like the 3rd and 18 completion for a first down to Bateman on the last drive in regulation. Bateman was double covered on that play, and that ball had plenty of zip on it.

I know it wasn't the people here, but this narrative about Tanner having a weak arm is complete BS.
Our offense isn't bombing throws downfield, that doesn't mean that he has a weak arm.
This guy has completed 70% of his passes through two games. I cannot remember the last time the Gophers had a passer who was even close to that accurate.
He handles all sorts of pre-snap BS.
Honestly, I think he is the best QB in modern Gopher history. His improvisation and accuracy have saved our asses more times than I can count and he hasn't even played a full season. I'm really sick of seeing people try to blame him for things like low snaps. He has been as good as anyone could ask for since taking over last year.

Ditto all of that.

Here's all I'm saying -

all things being equal, if you had a choice between two QB's - one QB has an arm strength rating of 10, the other has an arm strength rating of 8. If they are roughly equal in all other areas, and you had a choice, you'd take the guy with a stronger arm.

That does not mean the other guy is a bad QB. but, for that situation where you really need the guy to zip a ball downfield 20 yards into a tight window, all things being equal, I'd rather have the guy with the bigger arm for that situation.

Here's all I'm saying -

all things being equal, if you had a choice between two QB's - one QB has an arm strength rating of 10, the other has an arm strength rating of 8. If they are roughly equal in all other areas, and you had a choice, you'd take the guy with a stronger arm.

That does not mean the other guy is a bad QB. but, for that situation where you really need the guy to zip a ball downfield 20 yards into a tight window, all things being equal, I'd rather have the guy with the bigger arm for that situation.

I don't think that's what you said to this point, but I get you're saying it now. I don't know how this is an argument or a point that is relevant though.

I wonder if the locking thing isn't a reflection of lack of confidence in time to throw? I did see several times where he did go through progressions and also run and survey the whole field prior to throwing the ball.

One of his sacks he had a bunch of time but seemed to be locked in on the deep route and did not move much before being sacked.

Here's all I'm saying -

And all I'm saying is that Tanner Morgan is the best QB we have had recently, and he's very likely the best passing QB we have ever had.
Completing 70% of your throws with the passer rating he has is unheard of for a Gopher quarterback.

The historical greats such like Dungy and Foggie were 50% passers.
More recent standouts like Abudl-Khaliq and Weber were 60% passers in a good year.

This guy has started his career in a way that we've never seen before and the narrative around him is that he has a weak arm.
That's ridiculous given that he's the best passing QB we've ever seen.

Last edited:

A lot of people were saying he fumbled a snap that came in at his ankles against Fresno State.

A lot of people were saying he fumbled a snap that came in at his ankles against Fresno State.

Don’t think anyone in their right mind blames him for mishandling the low snap but he did have a lost fumble in his ill-fated scramble/run.

Don’t think anyone in their right mind blames him for mishandling the low snap but he did have a lost fumble in his ill-fated scramble/run.

And even on the play where he fumbled, he was trying to make a play. He was trying to get a first down on a scramble play. So I'm less worried about fumbles when its a busted play.

One of his sacks he had a bunch of time but seemed to be locked in on the deep route and did not move much before being sacked.

There were 8 in coverage, 3 rushed, his (maybe) outlet RB was beat by the defensive end while the left tackle stood around. Nobody has been able to explain that blocking scheme. Not sure if anybody was open. Sure, he should have felt the pressure better but it was the blindside and he reasonably should have had a few more seconds considering the numbers advantage.

There were 8 in coverage, 3 rushed, his (maybe) outlet RB was beat by the defensive end while the left tackle stood around. Nobody has been able to explain that blocking scheme. Not sure if anybody was open. Sure, he should have felt the pressure better but it was the blindside and he reasonably should have had a few more seconds considering the numbers advantage.

There's a higher chance of the defensive player stunting the middle gap being a large defensive lineman or middle linebacker; whereas the outside shooter is often a blitzing D-back or D-end, both lighter/quicker. If you have a big fullback type on offense that can handle blocking a monster up the middle, sure, have that back block the middle stunt while the uncovered guard or tackle covers the outside. Most running backs, though, get blown up by large defensive players stunting the middle and that's when plays get really effed up bad. I will admit though, on the play you're talking about, it looked terrible with the running back getting blown up by the outside stunt while the tackle blocked air up the middle. There was some missed communication or reaction there somewhere.

There's a higher chance of the defensive player stunting the middle gap being a large defensive lineman or middle linebacker; whereas the outside shooter is often a blitzing D-back or D-end, both lighter/quicker. If you have a big fullback type on offense that can handle blocking a monster up the middle, sure, have that back block the middle stunt while the uncovered guard or tackle covers the outside. Most running backs, though, get blown up by large defensive players stunting the middle and that's when plays get really effed up bad. I will admit though, on the play you're talking about, it looked terrible with the running back getting blown up by the outside stunt while the tackle blocked air up the middle. There was some missed communication or reaction there somewhere.

That situation was 100% a miscommunication. No excuses

There wasn’t a stunt on this play, just a 3 man rush. Ibrahim did his best but was bulldozed.

6-2 as a starter and is 2 games into his sophomore season! Last night showed composure. Fumbles on 3rd down with game on the line. Next play, throws a beautiful TD ball to CAB.

Morgan has performed well several times when the game is on the line. His confidence and calm under pressure are contagious, I suspect. He has room to improve, obviously, but his grit and accuracy are great assets.

Morgan has performed well several times when the game is on the line. His confidence and calm under pressure are contagious, I suspect. He has room to improve, obviously, but his grit and accuracy are great assets.

It is a breath of fresh air not having people talk about throwing spirals like in the Nelson / Leidner era.

Tanner Morgan! Lordy lordy! That game tying pass to CrAB on 4th and 13 is perfection. He will rewrite some record books before his career is over. The Big Ten season is just around the corner. Hope and pray he stays healthy.

The Fresno State game is the best non-conference game I've seen in a lifetime complete with the heart attack subplots and dramas. It was instant elation preceded by a mili-second off overwhelming depression by the Antoine Winfield Jr INT.

Thanks to Tanner Morgan and the rising Gopher WR corps and team defense. I wished I was there to watch it live.

Last edited:

Top Bottom