Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 93

Thread: Tanner Morgan

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Windom, MN
    Posts
    7,717

    Default

    On the arm - look, Morgan does not have a great arm. He has an adequate arm. I think we can agree on that. That does not mean Morgan is a bad QB. As others have pointed out, you can win games and be a successful QB without a great arm.

    That all depends on having a balanced offense - AND on the coaches setting up pass plays and routes that play to the QB's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It's like a baseball pitcher - if the pitcher can't throw a change-up, you don't ask him to throw the change-up.

    With Morgan, if there is a certain route he does not throw as well, you don't call that route. period.

    What it does do is this - if the defense thinks it does not have to worry about certain routes - deep flys, deep crossing routes, etc - they will adjust their defense accordingly and try to take away the routes the Gophers do run. That really puts the onus on Morgan to be accurate and smart - avoid bad throws into coverage, etc. That is part of being a game manager - making good choices.


  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New River, AZ
    Posts
    5,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    On the arm - look, Morgan does not have a great arm. He has an adequate arm. I think we can agree on that. That does not mean Morgan is a bad QB. As others have pointed out, you can win games and be a successful QB without a great arm.

    That all depends on having a balanced offense - AND on the coaches setting up pass plays and routes that play to the QB's strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It's like a baseball pitcher - if the pitcher can't throw a change-up, you don't ask him to throw the change-up.

    With Morgan, if there is a certain route he does not throw as well, you don't call that route. period.

    What it does do is this - if the defense thinks it does not have to worry about certain routes - deep flys, deep crossing routes, etc - they will adjust their defense accordingly and try to take away the routes the Gophers do run. That really puts the onus on Morgan to be accurate and smart - avoid bad throws into coverage, etc. That is part of being a game manager - making good choices.
    I don't know if I agree with any criticisms of Morgan's "arm". Being able to throw the ball a mile is not an accurate estimate of an "arm". Accuracy and zip in medium to long passes (15-25 yards) is the gauge. He has shown he can do that.

    So far defenses can't figure out the Gopher passing game--and it is going to get worse for the defenses. Minnesota has 4 (I include Paulson) excellent receiving weapons...who do you cover?

    Morgan had plenty of zip on multiple key plays. Just because he doesn't seem to be able to throw it 60 yards on a Hail Mary type play does make an "arm". Accuracy is most important.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,008
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    My guess is we will be hearing knocks on TM for 4-years..... and he will find ways to win games for 4-years. He doesn’t fit the mold, but dude know how to win.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tanner Morgan will endure what Adam Weber had to. Adam Weber was dogged with criticism throughout his career, but managed to be one of the best QBs ever to done a Gopher uniform.

    Both are very workmanlike and did their best.

    A Look At Some Of The Greatest Gopher Quarterbacks:

    https://www.thedailygopher.com/2011/...r-quarterbacks
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Tanner Morgan will endure what Adam Weber had to. Adam Weber was dogged with criticism throughout his career, but managed to be one of the best QBs ever to done a Gopher uniform.

    Both are very workmanlike and did their best.

    A Look At Some Of The Greatest Gopher Quarterbacks:

    https://www.thedailygopher.com/2011/...r-quarterbacks
    Weber is a great comp for Morgan. They are very similar players, had Weber not had to endure the revolving door at OC during his time here he could have had an even better career most likely.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,472

    Default

    We’ve not seen stats like these in a long, long time.

    2018 third down 27/40 68% 5 TDs 0 interceptions 187 rating
    2019 third downs 8/10 80% 2 TDs 0 interceptions 254 rating which included a drop last night IIRC

    How long has it been since MN fans can feel like there’s a better than even chance of converting a low percentage third down play. Clutch factor off the charts and he still has a lot of room to get better.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,008
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    He's on track to challenge the leaders statistically if he keeps playing the way he does. Zack Annexstad has to find a way to stay healthy. I don't care who starts or who is a backup. We've got two quality selfless QBs. These two guys are leaders.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    I think we need to keep in mind that these TV crews who cover the Gophers are usually seeing the team for the first time. So the Wednesday before they game, they know ZERO about our players.
    Then they start studying up for a bit and have a conversation or two, and read what has been written about the players to prep for the game.

    Much of this is regurgitated stuff which ends up getting said over and over and over.

    Vikings Example: "Adam Thielen was an undrafted free agent."

    So even though his arm might not be a rocket arm, every TV head who learns about him puts on his own spin then during the game will point out any example to prove what they have been saying.
    This. Remember the stretch of games last year when announcers kept assuring us that "Tyler Johnson never drops balls like that." Cuz somebody earlier in the season said that, even though Johnson drops balls nearly every freaking game!

    JTG

  8. #38

    Default

    PJ's thoughts on Morgan (8:00 mark). Summarized: "He's a winner".


  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    He was dinged up for sure, doesn't mean it was definitely a serious injury though. Best case scenario would be make quick work of GSU so that Morgan can get out of the game and then have the bye week to rest and recover.
    The gophs will have to be up by 40 and running at will for one of the frosh to enter the game sooner than mid-4th qtr.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,397
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    He does need to stop locking on and stare at his primary receiver so much. He had some wide open guys on a couple of his sacks.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I wonder if the locking thing isn't a reflection of lack of confidence in time to throw? I did see several times where he did go through progressions and also run and survey the whole field prior to throwing the ball.

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    I don't know if I agree with any criticisms of Morgan's "arm". Being able to throw the ball a mile is not an accurate estimate of an "arm". Accuracy and zip in medium to long passes (15-25 yards) is the gauge. He has shown he can do that.

    So far defenses can't figure out the Gopher passing game--and it is going to get worse for the defenses. Minnesota has 4 (I include Paulson) excellent receiving weapons...who do you cover?

    Morgan had plenty of zip on multiple key plays. Just because he doesn't seem to be able to throw it 60 yards on a Hail Mary type play does make an "arm". Accuracy is most important.
    Agree with you. All the carping about him not having a bazooka really misses the point. In this offense, it's going to boil down to him making the reads and delivering it on time. I haven't watched him close enough to make a rock-solid estimation, but, to me, it's going to be about his release and that looks to be pretty good.

    Pull out whatever cliche you'd like. Tough kid. Gamer. Whatever. He looks light years better than either Nelson or Leidner (at least at this point) to me.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    9,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goldengophers View Post
    Last night's game Morgan had a dose of that Keenum 2017 magic.
    I disagree. That is what Morgan does. He's done it many times before. He rallies our team. He did it when the Jackrabbits took the lead last week. He brings us back to win. It's a mental will to win that leads the team. And it is something special.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparlimb View Post
    I disagree. That is what Morgan does. He's done it many times before. He rallies our team. He did it when the Jackrabbits took the lead last week. He brings us back to win. It's a mental will to win that leads the team. And it is something special.
    Pretty much what Keenum did that season

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    Pretty much what Keenum did that season

    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Agree. Keenum did well.

  15. #45

    Default Tanner Morgan

    One thing I continue to impressed with is his accuracy. I’m not just talking about completion percentage, the ball to CAB against Fresno, and the deep ball to Bateman against SDSU, but his ability to hit his receivers in stride with perfect strikes, allowing them to gain YAC. Very rarely do they have to slow down, or adjust, and he’s even shown the ability to do this on the run. He’s even starting to fit it into tight windows, like the 3rd and 18 completion for a first down to Bateman on the last drive in regulation. Bateman was double covered on that play, and that ball had plenty of zip on it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •