Tanner Morgan

Ciarrocca broke down the Fresno game in this interview. He had quite a few comments about Morgan. He’s absolutely right about his performance on 3rd down and in two minute situations. We can all come up with a lengthy list, off the top of our heads, of QBs who regularly fill up the box score, but don’t come through in these situations.

—-

HOW YOU FEELING ABOUT QB TANNER MORGAN FOLLOWING THE FRESNO?

Ciarrocca: "I thought he played better and showed improvement again this week. He's progressing. It's part of the maturation process of a quarterback. And you never know how good somebody can be, but you usually can tell once they've reached their ceiling. And as long as he keeps improving. we're excited. I'm excited about it. Like I said before last week when somebody asked me about his ceiling, you just want to see him keep improving. And growing from his experiences.

I thought he was for the second week in a row, I thought he was very much in control out there in the game. Did he do everything perfectly? No, you know, but he did a lot of things. Especially on third down he was he was really good again, for the second week in a row on third down. It's just one of the measuring sticks that I look at a quarterback, how is he on third down? What's he like in the tight green zone? How is he in the two minute drill? Those are things that you're measuring quarterbacks on and that's what separates a guy with who's just average from good, and good to great. So he's improving."

WHAT DID YOU SEE ON TANNER'S THROW TO AUTMAN-BELL?

Ciarrocca: "It was a great throw and catch. It had to be perfect, and it was perfect. That's awesome. I'm not going to say what I said in the booth, but it was a big time play. The thing that was great about it was whether we complete it or not, was that Tanner was very relaxed. He believed in himself, he believed in the throw, and was fully committed to the throw.

There was no hesitation in it. He got it up and down at exactly the right time, which is difficult to make that throw with that field space. It's difficult because you have the quarterback that has to get it up and down, but he has to give the receiver enough time to get the DB to turn his back with it. So that was the difficult part of it. Tanner knew he just I don't have a lot of space to work with, but he was very confident. And again, even like a couple inches either way, it could have been incomplete. The thing that I saw was just how composed he was and how confident he was in the decision to make the throw."

Here’s the rest of the article:

https://247sports.com/college/minne...arrocca-PJ-Fleck-Tanner-Morgan-135383895/Amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's all I'm saying -

all things being equal, if you had a choice between two QB's - one QB has an arm strength rating of 10, the other has an arm strength rating of 8. If they are roughly equal in all other areas, and you had a choice, you'd take the guy with a stronger arm.

That does not mean the other guy is a bad QB. but, for that situation where you really need the guy to zip a ball downfield 20 yards into a tight window, all things being equal, I'd rather have the guy with the bigger arm for that situation.

This makes no sense. If all things are equal, of course. But all things are not equal.

Would you take Joe Namath or Fran Tarkenton? One had huge arm strength and won a Super Bowl. The other had mobility and wiles, and no arm strength.

Joe Namath was a sh!tty QB with a big mouth and a huge ego, and played in NY. Fran didn't win a Super Bowl, had a huge ego, but was a team player, and a leader. I'd take Tarkenton in a heartbeat. Every day.

Morgan has made some pretty amazing throws in tough situations. He's a leader. I'll take him in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Joe Namath was a sh!tty QB with a big mouth and a huge ego, and played in NY. Fran didn't win a Super Bowl, had a huge ego, but was a team player, and a leader.

Oh. Really.

Morgan has stones. He isn’t perfect but doesn’t seem to mind big moments.

Morgan has stones. He isn’t perfect but doesn’t seem to mind big moments.

Sure does!

He had some head scratchers today like the first two passes of the game. Good on GSU for being on top of those routes. Hope they coaches start to fake the slant and send one of the WR deep.

Tanner Morgan is now 7-2 as a starter.

The final drive was simply unbelievable. I've been been a football fan for a long time. I'm trying to remember if I've ever before seen a 3rd and 30 converted for a first down.

New Nickname

The final drive was simply unbelievable. I've been been a football fan for a long time. I'm trying to remember if I've ever before seen a 3rd and 30 converted for a first down.

Tanner "3rd and 30" Morgan

Hoping there will be online video at some point of the entire final drive, rather than just the final TD. Has anybody seen any?

The 3rd and 30 wasn't converted for a first down.

The 3rd and 30 wasn't converted for a first down.

You're probably correct. Like I said, I wish I could re-watch the entire final drive. What was the actual result of the 3rd and 30 play? Did they get to a 4th and short yardage, which they then converted for a first down? Can't recall.

I definitely can’t stand Morgan yesterday on many occasions but he pulled out another amazing last drive.

Also who else has noticed and can’t stand Morgan changing plays at the line of scrimmage and every time is a run play for a loss?! Why Morgan, WHY?!

I don’t know...obviously he is all we have at this time so we’ll have to deal with him

He’s apparently hurt again, limping again..bye week came at the perfect time. Not sure his knee will hold up during the season. We best be getting our #2 QB warmed up and game reps and NOT Seth Green either!

Stats from GSU game.

19/31 61.3%
289 yds.
3 TD/ 1 INT
165.1 rating
9.3 yards/attempt

Bad throws I remember...the first two passes of the game, and two incomplete overthrows of open receivers.

Good throws that should have been caught...the long bomb dropped by Bateman.

I’ll give Tanner a B for the game. It wasn’t his best (still pretty good for Gopher standards, tbh), but he was once again clutch when it mattered most, and he did it while getting hit on almost every drop back.

You're probably correct. Like I said, I wish I could re-watch the entire final drive. What was the actual result of the 3rd and 30 play? Did they get to a 4th and short yardage, which they then converted for a first down? Can't recall.

Morgan completed a pass to Douglas that made it 4th and 8, and then another pass to Douglas on 4th to convert the first down.

3rd and 30 to 4th and 8, IIRC

Thanks, Spoofin.

I'll re-phrase my original statement, as follows:

I've been a football fan for a long time, and I can't recall every seeing a team overcome a 3rd and 30, eventually converting a first down to keep a game-winning drive alive.

I agree with whoever said it wasn’t his best game but could we imagine Leidner doing what Morgan has through 3 games?

There is progress. Wins aren’t pretty but they are wins.

Now he has to do it in the big ten because winning out of conference games only kind of matters in the grand scheme of things.

Kid has stones though.

He has moxie and believes they will make the plays they need to make. Though he didn't have his best game overall. Three of the sacks, he rolled out of the pocket and right into a defender when he should have stepped up into it instead. And as has been pointed out ad nauseam, stop staring down your receiver! Is it that hard to learn/coach out of him??? But love his clutch play. I was actually feeling pretty confident after the 3rd and 30 play.

Extraordinary composure under extreme duress. I encourage everyone to watch that final drive on the YouTube Die Hard posted. On most of the plays he’s under immediate pressure and either unloads or is flushed out of the pocket. The offensive line isn’t doing him any favors. Found DD82 at huge moments to get out of the 3rd and 30 hole. Hit Bateman, hit Johnson.

It’s wierd but he seems to play better when he’s under a lot of presssure. We have a winner here folks. And he’s only in his 10th start. He’s going to learn and get even better and avoid the dangerous throws. His protection and run game will (hopefully) get better and help him out. With the extraordinary stats he’s putting up I expect him to be up there amongst the historical leaderboards before he’s done.

Other than the first drive, I think he played well.
He held on to the ball too long at times, leading to his own pressure...but I don’t think the OF called a very good game yesterday and that has something to do with it IMO

Sure does!

He had some head scratchers today like the first two passes of the game. Good on GSU for being on top of those routes. Hope they coaches start to fake the slant and send one of the WR deep.

Every QB in every game has head scratchers. When you're too close to a team, you only see the mistakes your QB makes.

Tom Brady has some pretty bad throws into coverage nearly every game. Brett Favre did some incredibly stupid things in every game, but people would just say "he's a winner who just wants to win" and gloss over it.

A leader has to take chances. It's about risk management. Take some risks, based on what the reward may be.

I doubt we've seen a better pressure QB at Minnesota for 60 years. Doubt it.

The kid's a winner.

Mason praised him again after the game, and noted that he was getting hit on every play during that last drive, yet kept making good throws.

It's amazing we made it down the field and scored, with no timeouts. That's not the Gophers of old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it was in the second half when Tanner had a gutsy scramble, went through contact to convert a 3rd & 15. Got the crowd going again. The guy knows what needs to be done in big situation and will put it all on the line for his team. Yeah, he made some questionable throws to start, but that didn't shut him down. He's a guy that you want leading your team when the going gets tough.

The Vikings wish they had a QB who possessed the clutch gene. That throw by Cousins was worse than any throw Tanner has made, given the circumstances. Just lobbed it up there. Yuck.

The Vikings wish they had a QB who possessed the clutch gene. That throw by Cousins was worse than any throw Tanner has made, given the circumstances. Just lobbed it up there. Yuck.

Pitino,

I friggin despise Cousins. I literally hate.

Can you imagine if they'd have kept Keenum on a decent contract and all that money they could have spent somewhere else.

Pitino,

Can you imagine if they'd have kept Keenum on a decent contract and all that money they could have spent somewhere else.

Keenum sucks too, but at least they wouldn’t be tied to that Cousins contract.

Keenum sucks too, but at least they wouldn’t be tied to that Cousins contract.

Keenum sucks, but we win that game today with and have a better team around him.

Pitino,

+1000. Can't understand why Zim has such a hard on for Cousins. Perhaps he's a bit more flaccid after the GB game.

Top Bottom