Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanner Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
    I know it wasn't the people here, but this narrative about Tanner having a weak arm is complete BS.
    Our offense isn't bombing throws downfield, that doesn't mean that he has a weak arm.
    This guy has completed 70% of his passes through two games. I cannot remember the last time the Gophers had a passer who was even close to that accurate.
    He handles all sorts of pre-snap BS.
    Honestly, I think he is the best QB in modern Gopher history. His improvisation and accuracy have saved our asses more times than I can count and he hasn't even played a full season. I'm really sick of seeing people try to blame him for things like low snaps. He has been as good as anyone could ask for since taking over last year.
    Ditto all of that.

Here's all I'm saying -

all things being equal, if you had a choice between two QB's - one QB has an arm strength rating of 10, the other has an arm strength rating of 8. If they are roughly equal in all other areas, and you had a choice, you'd take the guy with a stronger arm.

That does not mean the other guy is a bad QB. but, for that situation where you really need the guy to zip a ball downfield 20 yards into a tight window, all things being equal, I'd rather have the guy with the bigger arm for that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Here's all I'm saying -

all things being equal, if you had a choice between two QB's - one QB has an arm strength rating of 10, the other has an arm strength rating of 8. If they are roughly equal in all other areas, and you had a choice, you'd take the guy with a stronger arm.

That does not mean the other guy is a bad QB. but, for that situation where you really need the guy to zip a ball downfield 20 yards into a tight window, all things being equal, I'd rather have the guy with the bigger arm for that situation.
    I don't think that's what you said to this point, but I get you're saying it now. I don't know how this is an argument or a point that is relevant though.

Quote Originally Posted by STPGopher View Post
    I wonder if the locking thing isn't a reflection of lack of confidence in time to throw? I did see several times where he did go through progressions and also run and survey the whole field prior to throwing the ball.
    One of his sacks he had a bunch of time but seemed to be locked in on the deep route and did not move much before being sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    Here's all I'm saying -

And all I'm saying is that Tanner Morgan is the best QB we have had recently, and he's very likely the best passing QB we have ever had.
    Completing 70% of your throws with the passer rating he has is unheard of for a Gopher quarterback.

The historical greats such like Dungy and Foggie were 50% passers.
    More recent standouts like Abudl-Khaliq and Weber were 60% passers in a good year.

This guy has started his career in a way that we've never seen before and the narrative around him is that he has a weak arm.
    That's ridiculous given that he's the best passing QB we've ever seen.
    Last edited by hello-world; 09-10-2019 at 11:45 PM.

I'm really sick of seeing people try to blame him for things like low snaps.
    Who has blamed him for the low snaps?

A lot of people were saying he fumbled a snap that came in at his ankles against Fresno State.

A lot of people were saying he fumbled a snap that came in at his ankles against Fresno State.
    Don’t think anyone in their right mind blames him for mishandling the low snap but he did have a lost fumble in his ill-fated scramble/run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Gopher View Post
    Don’t think anyone in their right mind blames him for mishandling the low snap but he did have a lost fumble in his ill-fated scramble/run.

And even on the play where he fumbled, he was trying to make a play. He was trying to get a first down on a scramble play. So I'm less worried about fumbles when its a busted play.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    One of his sacks he had a bunch of time but seemed to be locked in on the deep route and did not move much before being sacked.
    There were 8 in coverage, 3 rushed, his (maybe) outlet RB was beat by the defensive end while the left tackle stood around. Nobody has been able to explain that blocking scheme. Not sure if anybody was open. Sure, he should have felt the pressure better but it was the blindside and he reasonably should have had a few more seconds considering the numbers advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    There were 8 in coverage, 3 rushed, his (maybe) outlet RB was beat by the defensive end while the left tackle stood around. Nobody has been able to explain that blocking scheme. Not sure if anybody was open. Sure, he should have felt the pressure better but it was the blindside and he reasonably should have had a few more seconds considering the numbers advantage.
    There's a higher chance of the defensive player stunting the middle gap being a large defensive lineman or middle linebacker; whereas the outside shooter is often a blitzing D-back or D-end, both lighter/quicker. If you have a big fullback type on offense that can handle blocking a monster up the middle, sure, have that back block the middle stunt while the uncovered guard or tackle covers the outside. Most running backs, though, get blown up by large defensive players stunting the middle and that's when plays get really effed up bad. I will admit though, on the play you're talking about, it looked terrible with the running back getting blown up by the outside stunt while the tackle blocked air up the middle. There was some missed communication or reaction there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Panthadad2 View Post
    There's a higher chance of the defensive player stunting the middle gap being a large defensive lineman or middle linebacker; whereas the outside shooter is often a blitzing D-back or D-end, both lighter/quicker. If you have a big fullback type on offense that can handle blocking a monster up the middle, sure, have that back block the middle stunt while the uncovered guard or tackle covers the outside. Most running backs, though, get blown up by large defensive players stunting the middle and that's when plays get really effed up bad. I will admit though, on the play you're talking about, it looked terrible with the running back getting blown up by the outside stunt while the tackle blocked air up the middle. There was some missed communication or reaction there somewhere.
    That situation was 100% a miscommunication. No excuses

Quote Originally Posted by Panthadad2 View Post
    There wasn’t a stunt on this play, just a 3 man rush. Ibrahim did his best but was bulldozed.

Quote Originally Posted by AtTheLibrary View Post
    6-2 as a starter and is 2 games into his sophomore season! Last night showed composure. Fumbles on 3rd down with game on the line. Next play, throws a beautiful TD ball to CAB.

Morgan has performed well several times when the game is on the line. His confidence and calm under pressure are contagious, I suspect. He has room to improve, obviously, but his grit and accuracy are great assets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gophergrandpa View Post
    Morgan has performed well several times when the game is on the line. His confidence and calm under pressure are contagious, I suspect. He has room to improve, obviously, but his grit and accuracy are great assets.
    It is a breath of fresh air not having people talk about throwing spirals like in the Nelson / Leidner era.

Tanner Morgan! Lordy lordy! That game tying pass to CrAB on 4th and 13 is perfection. He will rewrite some record books before his career is over. The Big Ten season is just around the corner. Hope and pray he stays healthy.

The Fresno State game is the best non-conference game I've seen in a lifetime complete with the heart attack subplots and dramas. It was instant elation preceded by a mili-second off overwhelming depression by the Antoine Winfield Jr INT.

Thanks to Tanner Morgan and the rising Gopher WR corps and team defense. I wished I was there to watch it live.
    Last edited by hungan1; 09-11-2019 at 08:18 PM.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!