What grade would you give Tanner Morgan in the Gophers Double OT win over Fresno St?

What grade would you give Tanner Morgan in the Gophers Double OT win over Fresno St?

• A

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • B

Votes: 68 58.6%
  • C

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • D

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

B+

He had A+ stats, and came through in the clutch, but I can’t give an A when he...

1. Fumbled twice, losing 1.
2. Almost threw two picks, one would have been 6 the other way.

Pretty good showing on the road, for them most part. He’s now 6-2 as a starter with some big wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A. Kid took a beating and had several clutch plays with both his arm and legs vs a defense with a pulse. He needs to work on ball security but he’s not used to getting pummeled by FBS defensive players. Had the bobbled snap but the center was scattering it everywhere tonight.

Hard to fault him (too much) on the fumbles when he was trying to make a positive out of plays going nowhere. Still learning and getting better. Stats are looking very good for 2nd year guy.

C. Fumble one knocked it down to a B. Fumble two knocked it down to a C. He is perfectly capable of leading this team. He has grit, there is no denying that. He needs to take care of the football though. We aren't good enough for him not to.

Tanner continues to fill me with mixed feelings.

I just don't know what to think.

A-

He made some mistakes, the fumble, holding on the ball too long but overall he was very, very good and made a ton of plays and generally good decisions.

A-. Hard to give that grade with his fumbles, including muffing a good snap late in the game. However, he was generally not well protected and made HUGE plays to win the game.

Made some mistakes, but this kid is a winner. He finds ways to win. It isn’t always pretty.

16/23 is 0.695 completion. No picks.

We'll win games with a line like that.

Gave an A. Not an easy determination, but we're 2-0 and QB Morgan is a big part of it.

A

Yeah, he fumbled, but he made the plays he had to make all game long and some of them were pretty tough ones. He was sacked three or four times, sometimes because of blown blocking assignments, but he kept on going. Only one sack I saw was on him. With the craziness of this game and the big momentum shifts, he could have lost his composure (like Leidner sometimes did) but he didn't.

He finds a way to win. He is only going to get better.

The center had many bad snaps and Tanner handled most of them. The 4th and 13 TD pass sealed my A vote.

B, I realize that's harsh with the amount of huge positive plays he made.

Definitely room to improve

I like Tanner a lot and think he might be the most skilled QB we have had in a long time. It's worrying how announcers and former QBs in each of the past two games against FCS and G5 competition have commented that their QBs can make throws ours simply can't.

In spite of the sacks and fumbles, he managed the game well and had no INT. He's not glamorous, but manged to get the job done.

I like Tanner a lot and think he might be the most skilled QB we have had in a long time. It's worrying how announcers and former QBs in each of the past two games against FCS and G5 competition have commented that their QBs can make throws ours simply can't.

A continuation of condescending tones from last year...and yet Tanner keeps making big plays, smart plays, moving in the pocket....and winning. I love it.

B+

He had A+ stats, and came through in the clutch, but I can’t give an A when he...

Pretty good showing on the road, for them most part. He’s now 6-2 as a starter with some big wins.

Agree wholeheartedly.

B+

Pretty much how I feel about it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

He's a gamer but needs to protect the ball better and he is lucky to not have had more INT's on those telegraphed corner routes.

Seems like the Fresno State fans were a little more complimentary to Tanner than some of our fans. From their board:

"Their QB doesn't throw often, but he's accurate when he does"

"That was a great play by their QB. That ends up a sack more often than not."

"Their qb has balls of steal. Ours has none."

"Minnesota 3rd and 4th down conversions have been supernatural this game."

Last edited:

I went with a B. He was clutch when he needed to be, that's a great trait to have in a QB. The fumbles where troubling though and I'm still sold on his arm strength or mobility.

I was very down for a good part of the game due to the bonehead penalties bailing FSU out tie after time.
The two almost INT's were poor decisions, but Morgan's game management was very good, again.

As there are no + or -'s available, I rounded up to an A. That 4th touchdown to throw to CAB with time expiring was a thing of beauty.

My heart wanted to give an A for the clutch throw to CAB. That said, two fumbles, and would have been more turnovers if Batemen wasn't effective at playing defensive back. Went with a B.

He gets an upper case E- for Excellent for making plays when they absolutely needed it. Only minus was the fumble.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

He's hitting at just above 70% passing - it has been a long time since we've had anyone at that level. His game-tying TD pass was amazing. Gritty, a real leader, can run when he has to. But I'm wondering if we'll see one of the freshman get some game time if we can get ahead in one of these remaining early season teams. Very scary to have only one QB with game experience. He's hobbling, too.

B+

Agree with you but would go with solid B. The guy moves the offense. At the game and he was very lucky on those two that almost got picked off. Both were bad decisions.

I went with a B.
He had a some not so good plays and a few reads weren't good. But he is a gamer and makes clutch plays quite often.
It would also help if our offensive coaching staff wouldn't put him in bad spots by waiting to call a play until the play clock is under 10.
Have some trust in the original play you call and snap it early more often.

I'll give him an A. The center exchange has to be better but he was clutch when we needed him to be and that dime on 4th & 13 will be on the highlight reel for awhile

Top Bottom