View Poll Results: Which Winfield Jr. game-winning INT vs Fresno State was better? 2018 or 2019?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2018 in back of the end zone was better

36 49.32%
  • 2019 in Double OT was better

37 50.68%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    The play itself was more impressive last year but the significance of the play is greater this year.
    This. The catch from last years game was better....but if he had not reacted the way he did last night....we would have lost that game. We still had a touchdown lead in the game last year.....so it was a less significant play.

But it's splitting hairs because both were really spectacular plays that ended the game in our favor.

This year by hair

I voted last year's simply because it was such a display of athletic freakiness regardless of whether he was in position or not. Last night was just a great read and played perfectly.

I can’t really pick one over the other... Pretty sure I’ll remember both for the next 50 years.

Blog Entries

I voted last years.... it was a freakish athletic play, had to compete with the offensive player.... come down in bounds, and hold on to the ball.

This years was more exciting... on TV at least, since Winfield basically came from nowhere, out of the camera shot, to surprise everyone. Like, give me a HEART ATTACK surprise.
    Last edited by Vandy; 09-08-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    Gopher football backer since '62.
    Current GopherHole walk on.

I voted for last year's.

A different camera angle on this year's where Winfield is in the frame would show he played it perfectly and anyone playing their position correctly could make that play.

Last year's required "Elite" effort and physical ability. Ball was better thrown and the play was equally important IMO.

I have to take last weeks play for my #1. There just aren't that many guys, at any level, who are going to make that play.

Both were outstanding plays from a physical standpoint, but this year's was better because of the stakes involved. If last year's pass is completed, the Gophers have a chance to win in regulation or it possibly goes on to overtime. If this year's pass is completed, the game is immediately over and we lose.

2018 play was a much more athletic play. Winfield had to out leap a tight end and then still keep his feet in bounds. As a play, it tops this past interception.
    Both were game winners, but 2018 was a better play.

This year.

If only because I take Winfield at his word that last year he was supposed to cover the dude who the pass eventually went to and initially let him go and then corrected and went back to cover him.

Best poll ever. Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote was for 2019.

Most of the reasons already explained. The recognition of seeing the play happen, switching off, and coming over like he was shot out of a cannon to make the play was remarkable. Watching the replay, it seemed as if Durr blew coverage. Last year, Winfield covered up for himself. This year, he was covering up for "his boys" as he called his teammates post game.
    "True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a G$#@%&* magic show ready to double team your girlfriend..." -Mitch Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    I voted for last year's.

A different camera angle on this year's where Winfield is in the frame would show he played it perfectly and anyone playing their position correctly could make that play.

Last year's required "Elite" effort and physical ability. Ball was better thrown and the play was equally important IMO.
    Incorrect. You are assuming that they were playing a zone defense where Winfield had to defend the left corner of the end zone. Nonononono. He was playing his position by sticking to the man he was initially covering. He broke off the receiver he was responsible for when the ball left the QB's hand. Insane that he had the vision to keep with his receiver AND keep an eye on the QB. When the ball left the QB's hand....he broke off his assignment and made up for "his boys" who almost let the game get away.

That was as "Elite" a play as you will see a D-back play on any level. AWJR is going to follow in his father's footsteps no doubt. Dude has talent. But equally important....he got passed down instinct.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    The play itself was more impressive last year but the significance of the play is greater this year.
    +1. This year 100% turned a loss into a win. Last year, there's still a > 50% chance we would have won even if he didn't make that play.

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Ballgame
    Fixed