View Poll Results: Which Winfield Jr. game-winning INT vs Fresno State was better? 2018 or 2019?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2018 in back of the end zone was better

36 48.65%
  • 2019 in Double OT was better

38 51.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which Winfield Jr. game-winning INT vs Fresno State was better? 2018 or 2019?

Which Winfield Jr. game-winning INT vs Fresno State was better? 2018 or 2019?

Very close call but I'd give last year's the edge.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

This season’s. Why? Because he wasn’t out of position before this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The play itself was more impressive last year but the significance of the play is greater this year.

Last year's was more impressive from a recovery standpoint because he made a mistake first then corrected it. Athletically it was far more impressive, but he made a mistake at the start of the play.

This years was more of a solid play start to finish and looked smoother. Watching the replay he's not even in frame as it appears it's going to be an easy TD, and then Winfield just pops onto the screen to shock us all.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

This year's. Winfield quickly recognized what was happening and reacted instinctively.

Quote Originally Posted by PitinoFan View Post
    This season’s. Why? Because he wasn’t out of position before this one.

He wasn’t out of position last year. He was supposed to come up and take the runner, who happened to then throw the ball. Another player was out of position and Winfield made an outstanding play.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

This year's because he wasn't correcting for his own mistake.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    He wasn’t out of position last year. He was supposed to come up and take the runner, who happened to then throw the ball. Another player was out of position and Winfield made an outstanding play.
    So you are saying Winfield (a safety) was supposed to cover the running back and the linebacker was supposed to cover the tight end, even though Winfield was lined up 2 yards deeper than the linebacker? That wouldn't be a very efficient play call on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    You may want to let AWjr and PJ know this. They have both been pretty clear with what they think so could use some education on the topic from you.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Tough call but went with 2019 as the better play. As others have pointed out, in 2018 he made a mistake but was enough of a freak athlete to recover and make the play. In 2019 that was just an amazing read to be able to figure out where the ball was going to go, peel off the guy he was covering and go make that play. There are very few safeties that can make a play like that, he made it look easy but the degree of difficulty was really really high.

2019 was a little more spectacular.

2019 because it was a lose or win type play. 2018 may have more athletic but it wouldn't have decided the game if he didn't make the play (probably OT).

Quote Originally Posted by Word View Post
    So you are saying Winfield (a safety) was supposed to cover the running back and the linebacker was supposed to cover the tight end, even though Winfield was lined up 2 yards deeper than the linebacker? That wouldn't be a very efficient play call on defense.

Consider who our DC was. It's hard to say, I feel last year's was slightly more impressive, but had they scored, we still would have had a shot in It, this year was for the win

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They were both amazing plays. I went with this year’s because there are very few that would make that play. Yes, there are some with the athletic ability to do it, but very few that have the determination and confidence to even try. He was turned away from the play, more than 10 yards from the receiver and didn’t move on the ball until after it was thrown. I doubt I’ll ever forget either one.
    “If you can eat a Dilly Bar in the snow, you can play football in the snow.” -- Something Dilly Bar Dan might say.