Which Winfield Jr. game-winning INT vs Fresno State was better? 2018 or 2019?

• 2018 in back of the end zone was better

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • 2019 in Double OT was better

Votes: 38 51.4%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

This season’s. Why? Because he wasn’t out of position before this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The play itself was more impressive last year but the significance of the play is greater this year.

Last year's was more impressive from a recovery standpoint because he made a mistake first then corrected it. Athletically it was far more impressive, but he made a mistake at the start of the play.

This years was more of a solid play start to finish and looked smoother. Watching the replay he's not even in frame as it appears it's going to be an easy TD, and then Winfield just pops onto the screen to shock us all.

This year's. Winfield quickly recognized what was happening and reacted instinctively.

This season’s. Why? Because he wasn’t out of position before this one.

He wasn’t out of position last year. He was supposed to come up and take the runner, who happened to then throw the ball. Another player was out of position and Winfield made an outstanding play.

This year's because he wasn't correcting for his own mistake.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

He wasn’t out of position last year. He was supposed to come up and take the runner, who happened to then throw the ball. Another player was out of position and Winfield made an outstanding play.
So you are saying Winfield (a safety) was supposed to cover the running back and the linebacker was supposed to cover the tight end, even though Winfield was lined up 2 yards deeper than the linebacker? That wouldn't be a very efficient play call on defense.

You may want to let AWjr and PJ know this. They have both been pretty clear with what they think so could use some education on the topic from you.

Tough call but went with 2019 as the better play. As others have pointed out, in 2018 he made a mistake but was enough of a freak athlete to recover and make the play. In 2019 that was just an amazing read to be able to figure out where the ball was going to go, peel off the guy he was covering and go make that play. There are very few safeties that can make a play like that, he made it look easy but the degree of difficulty was really really high.

2019 was a little more spectacular.

2019 because it was a lose or win type play. 2018 may have more athletic but it wouldn't have decided the game if he didn't make the play (probably OT).

So you are saying Winfield (a safety) was supposed to cover the running back and the linebacker was supposed to cover the tight end, even though Winfield was lined up 2 yards deeper than the linebacker? That wouldn't be a very efficient play call on defense.

Consider who our DC was. It's hard to say, I feel last year's was slightly more impressive, but had they scored, we still would have had a shot in It, this year was for the win

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They were both amazing plays. I went with this year’s because there are very few that would make that play. Yes, there are some with the athletic ability to do it, but very few that have the determination and confidence to even try. He was turned away from the play, more than 10 yards from the receiver and didn’t move on the ball until after it was thrown. I doubt I’ll ever forget either one.

The play itself was more impressive last year but the significance of the play is greater this year.

This. The catch from last years game was better....but if he had not reacted the way he did last night....we would have lost that game. We still had a touchdown lead in the game last year.....so it was a less significant play.

But it's splitting hairs because both were really spectacular plays that ended the game in our favor.

I voted last year's simply because it was such a display of athletic freakiness regardless of whether he was in position or not. Last night was just a great read and played perfectly.

I can’t really pick one over the other... Pretty sure I’ll remember both for the next 50 years.

I voted last years.... it was a freakish athletic play, had to compete with the offensive player.... come down in bounds, and hold on to the ball.

This years was more exciting... on TV at least, since Winfield basically came from nowhere, out of the camera shot, to surprise everyone. Like, give me a HEART ATTACK surprise.

Last edited:

I voted for last year's.

A different camera angle on this year's where Winfield is in the frame would show he played it perfectly and anyone playing their position correctly could make that play.

Last year's required "Elite" effort and physical ability. Ball was better thrown and the play was equally important IMO.

I have to take last weeks play for my #1. There just aren't that many guys, at any level, who are going to make that play.

Both were outstanding plays from a physical standpoint, but this year's was better because of the stakes involved. If last year's pass is completed, the Gophers have a chance to win in regulation or it possibly goes on to overtime. If this year's pass is completed, the game is immediately over and we lose.

2018 play was a much more athletic play. Winfield had to out leap a tight end and then still keep his feet in bounds. As a play, it tops this past interception.
Both were game winners, but 2018 was a better play.

This year.

If only because I take Winfield at his word that last year he was supposed to cover the dude who the pass eventually went to and initially let him go and then corrected and went back to cover him.

Best poll ever. Go Gophers!

My vote was for 2019.

Most of the reasons already explained. The recognition of seeing the play happen, switching off, and coming over like he was shot out of a cannon to make the play was remarkable. Watching the replay, it seemed as if Durr blew coverage. Last year, Winfield covered up for himself. This year, he was covering up for "his boys" as he called his teammates post game.

I voted for last year's.

A different camera angle on this year's where Winfield is in the frame would show he played it perfectly and anyone playing their position correctly could make that play.

Last year's required "Elite" effort and physical ability. Ball was better thrown and the play was equally important IMO.

Incorrect. You are assuming that they were playing a zone defense where Winfield had to defend the left corner of the end zone. Nonononono. He was playing his position by sticking to the man he was initially covering. He broke off the receiver he was responsible for when the ball left the QB's hand. Insane that he had the vision to keep with his receiver AND keep an eye on the QB. When the ball left the QB's hand....he broke off his assignment and made up for "his boys" who almost let the game get away.

That was as "Elite" a play as you will see a D-back play on any level. AWJR is going to follow in his father's footsteps no doubt. Dude has talent. But equally important....he got passed down instinct.

+1. This year 100% turned a loss into a win. Last year, there's still a > 50% chance we would have won even if he didn't make that play.

Top Bottom