Morgan: "doesn't matter what field we're on, the team will stay true to the culture"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Morgan: "doesn't matter what field we're on, the team will stay true to the culture"

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Um... ok.

giphy.gif

Admirable or perhaps elite injection of PJ vocabulary into the most casual of sentences.

Makes sense to me...old habits were pretty bad.

He does go a little heavy on the Fleckisms, but if that means no bong in his apartment, I’ll take the trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a bit of a cult like quality to Fleck's leadership style. Not saying that PJ is going to the extreme, but it does seem like his influence on his players borders on controlling.

There is a bit of a cult like quality to Fleck's leadership style. Not saying that PJ is going to the extreme, but it does seem like his influence on his players borders on controlling.

This is silly. Show me a team that doesn't label what they do a "program", "culture" or "insert adjective". It's all semantics, nothing more unless you want to spin it into something more to suit your personal agenda. Just my 1 1/2 cents.

I get a bit tired of this. During B1G media day Coughlin was up there talking about "our Culture" and not for everyone...etc....It's a bit over top, but so long as success comes with it, I'll live with it

I'll say this, regardless of what you think of mantra, if players are buying into the team,that's a good thing

Like anything folks belive in, some stuff can sound odd, but provided it's a positive influence / doesn't isolate folks from society (generally that is where the cultish stuff takes a turn)... it all seems good.

A lot of times these phrases are just interchangeable with "good choices", "work hard" or whatever.

Last edited:

It’s not really a knock - if you have the tolerance listen to many/most upper corporate mananagement talk/buzz words. People tend to adopt a vocabulary and language that at (many) times is ludicrous/banal/annoying/even insulting but as they say if they want to move up the ladder employees adopt the dress and talking points of the management. If one doesn’t want to do that then move out and join an organization more ones style or start one’s own on one’s own terms.

Like anything folks belive in, some stuff can sound odd, but provided it's a positive influence / doesn't isolate folks from society (generally that is where the cultish stuff takes a turn)... it all seems good.

A lot of times these phrases are just interchangeable with "good choices", "work hard" or whatever.

This may very well be the case and if it produces positive results not only on the gridiron, but in the classroom and socially as well, it's all good. When the players deal with the media and basically mimic Fleck verbatim in their responses, I cringe and find it a bit creepy.

This may very well be the case and if it produces positive results not only on the gridiron, but in the classroom and socially as well, it's all good. When the players deal with the media and basically mimic Fleck verbatim in their responses, I cringe and find it a bit creepy.

I'm not sure what you mean, it's not like there's some baseline for college athlete interviews that are good. They're kids, there aren't many college athletes that give good interviews / aren't heavily filtering what they're saying / told to say.

As others have pointed out you will find this same thing at other schools where the players will mimic the same message the coach is giving. The buzz words might be different and the level of enthusiasm will vary but all teams have a "cult" like aspect to them.

Fleck's culture just gets noticed more because he works the media so much and is willing to get out there and talk about it. A lot of head coaches don't like the PR part of the job, Fleck seems to embrace it.

My friend was a psychology PHD at the U. While he was finishing up there the head of the Psych dept. expressed concern with PJ's "culture" being too cult-like. My buddy showed me the handbook that PJ gives to everybody explaining how to RTB, the lingo, etc.. His techniques are somewhat aligned with those of cult leaders. There was definitely some half-baked/weird motivational sayings in the handbook but overall it seems harmless.

Tanner Morgan is also a big Church guy from what I understand. PJ's RTB culture works well on impressionable people. Just like Religion, Political parties, Corporations, & Cults. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

My friend was a psychology PHD at the U. While he was finishing up there the head of the Psych dept. expressed concern with PJ's "culture" being too cult-like. My buddy showed me the handbook that PJ gives to everybody explaining how to RTB, the lingo, etc.. His techniques are somewhat aligned with those of cult leaders. There was definitely some half-baked/weird motivational sayings in the handbook but overall it seems harmless.

Tanner Morgan is also a big Church guy from what I understand. PJ's RTB culture works well on impressionable people. Just like Religion, Political parties, Corporations, & Cults. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!

When the team starts going out into the community to clean carpets and spread the word, I'll get worried.

Most of the time Tanner is talking about him or the team “changing our best,” and stuff like that. It can be a little annoying, but it’s not that big of a deal. He’s reportedly a 4.0 student and appears to be a good kid, and a strong leader on the team. We’re probably making too much of it, honestly.

This is just corporate branding 101. Corporations and Universities hold their brand close to the vest. When you speak, you keep to the message of the brand. Any business major understands this.

Most of the time Tanner is talking about him or the team “changing our best,” and stuff like that. It can be a little annoying, but it’s not that big of a deal. He’s reportedly a 4.0 student and appears to be a good kid, and a strong leader on the team. We’re probably making too much of it, honestly.

Also the last thing you want is a college kid going off message and freely chatting up the media ... even the best of intentions and you say the wrong thing and it's a mess.

As a player, buying into the culture definitely gets you brownie points with Coach Fleck. The more you walk and talk the culture the better your life will be a Minnesota football player. Just the way it is!

I'm curious what question he is responding to when he said it. I struggle to imagine a reporter asking "do you think your team will struggle to stay true to their culture in California?"

As a player, buying into the culture definitely gets you brownie points with Coach Fleck. The more you walk and talk the culture the better your life will be a Minnesota football player. Just the way it is!

Again, it is this way at every program in the country. If you don't walk the line the coaches want you better be one heck of a player because if you are not they will likely replace you with someone who will do things the way they want them to. Football coaches are control freaks and the team concept is massive. The players that buy into what they are doing are always going to be well liked by the staff.

Fleck might be a little more direct about his culture but all teams have it and expect their players to abide by the team norms and expectations. Fleck is just more public about it, and doesn't hide from the media the way a lot of coaches do.

I'm curious what question he is responding to when he said it. I struggle to imagine a reporter asking "do you think your team will struggle to stay true to their culture in California?"

A lot of the fleckisms are about the attitude you have when you succeed, fail, or just are approaching something ... they kinda work as response to most every question IMO.

Also the last thing you want is a college kid going off message and freely chatting up the media ... even the best of intentions and you say the wrong thing and it's a mess.

Classic....of course now I am going to spend the afternoon watching Bull Durham clips.

Message of the clip is so true though. Players and coaches are schooled early on to be vanilla and not say something they are going to regret when someone shoves a microphone in their face.

Classic....of course now I am going to spend the afternoon watching Bull Durham clips.

Message of the clip is so true though. Players and coaches are schooled early on to be vanilla and not say something they are going to regret when someone shoves a microphone in their face.

Here is an alternate (swearing):

(cynical) question --

Are the players talking like Fleck because they really, truly believe it?

--or--

Are they talking like Fleck because they believe the coaches expect it?

those are two very different scenarios.

If this is what they really believe, fine.

However - if they feel they have to talk like that - if they feel that players who don't 'talk the talk' may face repercussions - that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

(cynical) question --

Are the players talking like Fleck because they really, truly believe it?

--or--

Are they talking like Fleck because they believe the coaches expect it?

those are two very different scenarios.

If this is what they really believe, fine.

However - if they feel they have to talk like that - if they feel that players who don't 'talk the talk' may face repercussions - that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

If you represent a school, team, company ... you're never free to say just anything.

Situation and terminology are way different because football isn't life and death. But at its core a lot of what PJ does isn't that different from what the U.S. Marine Corps does. There isn't the initial tearing down but even a cynical draftee who thought Vietnam was a disaster came out of boot camp bonding with the guys in his platoon and company. Some of the toeing of the Corps line was for survival, but a lot of it was because you realized if you all worked together things would go better. And a pride in the unit was fostered. I see it at times like P.J. replaced "Semper Fi" with "Row the Boat." Jerry Kill did the same thing with a different schtick.

Top Bottom