Morgan: "doesn't matter what field we're on, the team will stay true to the culture"

Once it gets out Fleck is a cult leader wonder if that will hurt recruiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago there was either a reality show or news story or something about Roger Penske (I think) looking for new drivers. One of the key components was how they talked when a microphone was stuck in their face. He literally didn't consider one of the drivers because of the way he talked when a camera was on him. The guy was as good as, or maybe a better driver at that point than some of the other candidates. Penske (I think) said something like "I can teach someone to drive better, but I can't make someone good in front of a camera. Our sponsors are counting on that driver mentioning them in a positive light regardless of how the race went. If he can't get that across, I can't use him, regardless of how good of a racer he could be".

The point is, whenever you have someone that is going to be interviewed regularly, they have expectations. My guess is they don't count the number of Fleckisms and grade Morgan on them. But I'm sure they ask him to slip them in. Why? It's not so we hear them ad nauseum. It's because the other players also hear the interviews. As a leader of the team, they hear Morgan saying the same things the coaches say. It makes the players more likely to buy in as well. Remember how Fleck said he wants the team to be led by the players?

Last edited:

It's absolutely cult-ish. Many programs have similar techniques and it's super common throughout corporate america and law firms. You change the language a bit. Anyone here who has worked at Target HQ or around the Target folks downtown can tell you this. It's used to create an "us" vs. "them" mentality, it helps to get people to buy into crazy things like billing 3500 hours in a year, running through a brick wall for a teammate, etc.

I think PJ just happens to be really good at this. I have said that I think it's a little annoying, but I'm not the audience.

Years ago there was either a reality show or news story or something about Roger Penske (I think) looking for new drivers. One of the key components was how they talked when a microphone was stuck in their face. He literally didn't consider one of the drivers because of the way he talked when a camera was on him. The guy was as good as, or maybe a better driver at that point than some of the other candidates. Penske (I think) said something like "I can teach someone to drive better, but I can't make someone good in front of a camera. Our sponsors are counting on that driver mentioning them in a positive light regardless of how the race went. If he can't get that across, I can't use him, regardless of how good of a racer he could be".

The point is, whenever you have someone that is going to be interviewed regularly, they have expectations. My guess is they don't count the number of Fleckisms and grade Morgan on them. But I'm sure they ask him to slip them in. Why? It's not so we hear them ad nauseum. It's because the other players also hear the interviews. As a leader of the team, they hear Morgan saying the same things the coaches say. It makes the players more likely to buy in as well. Remember how Fleck said he wants the team to be led by the players?

I think it is really apparent how that works with who coach's pick for media days. It's not always the folks you would expect, but they are the folks who give good quotes and are comfortable representing the team.

(cynical) question --

Are the players talking like Fleck because they really, truly believe it?

--or--

Are they talking like Fleck because they believe the coaches expect it?

those are two very different scenarios.

If this is what they really believe, fine.

However - if they feel they have to talk like that - if they feel that players who don't 'talk the talk' may face repercussions - that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

I think the only guys something like this would apply to are the guys that were here already when Fleck was hired. Anyone who he recruits is going to fit their mold or they won't recruit them.

Not saying you are doing this but it is interesting to see the evil intent some people want to assign to Fleck's motives or tactics. Kill had his culture, he had his expectations for the players in regards to how they represent themselves and the program he just packaged it in his awe shucks ole ball coach routine and wasn't as out front about it.

Fleck on the other hand puts his message out there. it is for this reason I don't think you need to worry about whether or not players are being forced to go along with it because any player that comes here can see first hand what they are getting into and what kind of expectations are going to be put on them if they choose to play for Fleck at the U. His personality is on full display for anyone doing their due diligence on the program.

Our company has a "culture" of words we use on a regular basis.
This is not uncommon.

I won't say what cult I work for.

Glad when this buzzword goes the way of "paradigm shift."

Once it gets out Fleck is a cult leader wonder if that will hurt recruiting?

Seems like it already has, no?

Glad when this buzzword goes the way of "paradigm shift."

To be fair though, the paradigm shift was actually a really importance change in the philosophy of science and how we think about the process of discovery (thanks Kuhn!).

Seems like it already has, no?

And I thought Fleck just wasn’t a good recruiter. Now I find out its a cult that is the problem.

When the players are forced to “talk the talk” or face repercussions that clearly isn’t a good recruiting pitch.

Last edited:

And I thought Fleck just wasn’t a good recruiter. Now I find out its a cult that is the problem.

When the players are forced to “talk the talk” or face repercussions that clearly isn’t a good recruiting pitch.

What made you think he wasn't a good recruiter? He's better than other coaches we've had. Everyone is going to want to ride the comet to the Rose Bowl with the cult of PJ.

Does anyone think teams coached by Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer, etc., aren’t coached on what to say in interviews? Those regimes are are probably a lot more controlling than this one.

Does anyone think teams coached by Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer, etc., aren’t coached on what to say in interviews? Those regimes are are probably a lot more controlling than this one.

Who claimed this?

Who claimed this?

Either you didn’t read through the thread, or you’re just looking for a fight. You’re not gonna get one from me. Find someone else to bicker back and forth with. LOL

Last edited:

You either didn’t read through the thread, or you’re just looking for a fight. You’re not gonna get one from me. Find someone else to bicker back and forth with. LOL

Your posts become weaker with each one. You were the first to mention Harbaugh, Saban, or Meyer in this thread - much less did anyone say they didn’t do the same thing. Your obsession to ‘protect’ the coaching staff becomes more intolerable with each attempt. Your efforts to deflect (“looking for a fight”) are transparent and sad. Step up, would ya.

Your posts become weaker with each one. You were the first to mention Harbaugh, Saban, or Meyer in this thread - much less did anyone say they didn’t do the same thing. Your obsession to ‘protect’ the coaching staff becomes more intolerable with each attempt. Your efforts to deflect (“looking for a fight”) are transparent and sad. Step up, would ya.

I just updated my “Ignore” list. Here’s the full list.

1. Spoofin

Congrats

1. Spoofin

Congrats

Perfect. You make a claim that no one said. When called out you choose not to stand by your conviction but to rather accuse someone of wanting to bicker - looking for support. Oh, and you LOL’d. As I said - step up. Either you believe in your cause or you don’t. Weak.

This team has really bought into the Row the Boat culture, that is great to see. It's important we stay true to the culture in both home and away games.

The folks that don't get it or don't like it haven't been part of a real team, worked in one, or like being part of one. They just can't understand. Its a great thing when the parts come together to be a whole.

You have to have something to bind the team. You have to get them to believe in a culture that may or may not be unique, but seems unique to the team.
This works for Fleck--and he gets it. So does his team.

Welcome to the 21st Century. We oldies need to "change our best" and not take things too seriously.

The players believe in something that help mold their characters, get a college degree that will change the trajectory of their lifes in a positive direction.

If that translates into more wins, that is a huge bonus.

Last edited:

As a player, buying into the culture definitely gets you brownie points with Coach Fleck. The more you walk and talk the culture the better your life will be a Minnesota football player. Just the way it is!

Nothing truer has been said about PJ Fleck.

What made you think he wasn't a good recruiter? He's better than other coaches we've had. Everyone is going to want to ride the comet to the Rose Bowl with the cult of PJ.
That’s a low bar. He was hired to be better than the other coaches in the big ten. So far those results have been marginal improvement vs. a significant change. We’ve yet to show steady improvement relative to the west or the conference as a whole. We’re better than we were by two spots in the conference hierarchy to 10th overall. 5th in the big ten west. Lots of noise in June/July. Whimpers in Dec/Feb where it counts.

1. Spoofin

Congrats

Yes because the sign of a grown man is putting your fingers in your ears and saying jab a na na, na, na, na, I am not listening to you. It’s ok to listen to dissenting opinions.

Two things will happen when you do. You’ll understand why people disagree with you which may help you convince them your opinion is valid/better than theirs. Or you might become less myopic on what you believe is absolutely true and improve your outlook.

It used to be neither one was a bad thing.

The folks that don't get it or don't like it haven't been part of a real team, worked in one, or like being part of one. They just can't understand. Its a great thing when the parts come together to be a whole.

You have to have something to bind the team. You have to get them to believe in a culture that may or may not be unique, but seems unique to the team.
This works for Fleck--and he gets it. So does his team.
That’s a pretty sweeping statement. I’ve been apart of high functioning teams that rallied around mantras. I’ve been a part of high functioning teams that did not need a schtick to be a part of in order to function.

I’ve also been a part of teams that could talk the talk just fine but couldn’t walk the walk.

Lots of choices out there.

Yes because the sign of a grown man is putting your fingers in your ears and saying jab a na na, na, na, na, I am not listening to you. It’s ok to listen to dissenting opinions.

Two things will happen when you do. You’ll understand why people disagree with you which may help you convince them your opinion is valid/better than theirs. Or you might become less myopic on what you believe is absolutely true and improve your outlook.

It used to be neither one was a bad thing.

Well, thanks. I added you too. Life’s too short to deal with jackasses.

That’s a low bar. He was hired to be better than the other coaches in the big ten. So far those results have been marginal improvement vs. a significant change. We’ve yet to show steady improvement relative to the west or the conference as a whole. We’re better than we were by two spots in the conference hierarchy to 10th overall. 5th in the big ten west. Lots of noise in June/July. Whimpers in Dec/Feb where it counts.

He was hired to win football games. If he does that, he'll be around a while and everyone will need to get used to the "culture" talk. If he doesn't, you'll have only a couple more years to bear it. Personally, I don't really care about his recruiting rankings. I get excited about individual players and do wish we got more exceptional ones, but if he finds other ways to win that's OK by me.

BTW, I think Fleck is the 6th highest paid coach in the B1G West (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), so perhaps he's out-recruiting his value?

Almost as true as the Gophers losing 31-13?

I always get a kick out of people who strut around taunting others about making a bad prediction about a sports event. Last time I checked about 50% of people in Vegas do it on each game. Glad to see you never have.

Top Bottom