Morgan: "doesn't matter what field we're on, the team will stay true to the culture"

Well, thanks. I added you too. Life’s too short to deal with jackasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this rate, soon enough you and Highwayman will only have each other.

I just updated my “Ignore” list. Here’s the full list.

1. Spoofin

Congrats

Now don't be mean. Remember when his feelings got hurt and he went away in a pout? On second thought.

Now don't be mean. Remember when his feelings got hurt and he went away in a pout? On second thought.

Ah, another member of the Stasi that only show up to criticize other posters. No dog to kick?

This is silly. Show me a team that doesn't label what they do a "program", "culture" or "insert adjective". It's all semantics, nothing more unless you want to spin it into something more to suit your personal agenda. Just my 1 1/2 cents.

Agree that every team/coach/program has to install their own culture. It’s usually part of why they were hired in the first place, and also likely played a major role in their successes up to their newest challenge so of course they’ll keep their system running. However, PJs is unique from many aspects- an extraordinary number of acronyms- some of which are cute or at least get a chuckle out of me, some that get monotonous as they’re heard constantly being uttered not just by him but are pervasive in the verbiage espoused by many of the players. Personally, I try not to let it bug me a bunch but TM is really mini-PJ, I mean the poor kid couldn’t even answer a question last night without uttering multiple PJ-colloquialisms. I have completely bought in to what PJ does for these kids to get them ready for life- love a lot of his programs- date night, leadership council, etc ; but, they way Tanner talked in his interview was sad to me- almost robotic mind control stuff. PJs program is to make these youngsters into fine men, husbands and fathers (and football players) part of which is helping them find themselves, not become a carbon copy of PJ.

Agree that every team/coach/program has to install their own culture. It’s usually part of why they were hired in the first place, and also likely played a major role in their successes up to their newest challenge so of course they’ll keep their system running. However, PJs is unique from many aspects- an extraordinary number of acronyms- some of which are cute or at least get a chuckle out of me, some that get monotonous as they’re heard constantly being uttered not just by him but are pervasive in the verbiage espoused by many of the players. Personally, I try not to let it bug me a bunch but TM is really mini-PJ, I mean the poor kid couldn’t even answer a question last night without uttering multiple PJ-colloquialisms. I have completely bought in to what PJ does for these kids to get them ready for life- love a lot of his programs- date night, leadership council, etc ; but, they way Tanner talked in his interview was sad to me- almost robotic mind control stuff. PJs program is to make these youngsters into fine men, husbands and fathers (and football players) part of which is helping them find themselves, not become a carbon copy of PJ.

Tanner is still a kid and apparently he has bought into the culture. It is common for young folks in leadership roles to emulate those in authority who they respect. In Tanner's role as a leader of a team with a culture full of terms, acronyms, and phrases it would be highly unusual to not hear things like "elite" and "change your best" come out of his mouth. Tanner is learning and growing.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

It's absolutely cult-ish. Many programs have similar techniques and it's super common throughout corporate america and law firms. You change the language a bit. Anyone here who has worked at Target HQ or around the Target folks downtown can tell you this. It's used to create an "us" vs. "them" mentality, it helps to get people to buy into crazy things like billing 3500 hours in a year, running through a brick wall for a teammate, etc.

I think PJ just happens to be really good at this. I have said that I think it's a little annoying, but I'm not the audience.

Large Corporations are giant all consuming monotechnic machines that instill a cultish atmosphere complete with their own language and acronyms.

To the extent that discipline and valuing the football are key parts of our culture, seems like we actually had a bit of trouble staying true to our culture on this particular field.

Large Corporations are giant all consuming monotechnic machines that instill a cultish atmosphere complete with their own language and acronyms.

I agree, so are college football teams. All of them.

The fact that PJ has been successful in this is NOT a rip on him, it's what every really good college football coach does. It's a sign that PJ is doing it right.

Welcome to the 21st Century. We oldies need to "change our best" and not take things too seriously.

The players believe in something that help mold their characters, get a college degree that will change the trajectory of their lifes in a positive direction.

If that translates into more wins, that is a huge bonus.

Huh? Pretty sure Fleck was not brought in to win the same amount or fewer games.

Situation and terminology are way different because football isn't life and death. But at its core a lot of what PJ does isn't that different from what the U.S. Marine Corps does. There isn't the initial tearing down but even a cynical draftee who thought Vietnam was a disaster came out of boot camp bonding with the guys in his platoon and company. Some of the toeing of the Corps line was for survival, but a lot of it was because you realized if you all worked together things would go better. And a pride in the unit was fostered. I see it at times like P.J. replaced "Semper Fi" with "Row the Boat." Jerry Kill did the same thing with a different schtick.

Good analogy. I was about ready to type a similar comment when I saw yours. Successful organizations around the world including the USMC/US Military and other hugely successful organizations use acronyms or unique language to teach, communicate the point quickly, and promote a certain culture. A positive culture promotes success while also reducing risk. It's exponentially more important to implement a positive culture when you're dealing with a large group of impressionable 18-22 year-old young men - we all know why.

It's also a marketing thing and differentiates the Gophers from other teams. When Mom and Dad send a kid off to college, they worry about their kid being take care of. A positive culture helps reduce that anxiety. In the end, if the kid is totally anti-authoritarian and/or unwilling to work together with teammates, Fleck and the Gophers probably aren't a good fit.

Top Bottom