Shama: Gophers are 1-6 in games on the West Coast in the last 50 years

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The football Gophers are 1-6 in games on the West Coast (in California, Oregon, Washington) during the last 50 years. The only win came at Oregon State two years ago in coach P.J. Fleck’s first season. Saturday night Minnesota plays at Fresno State, with a 9:30 p.m. Minneapolis time kickoff and temps expected in the 80s.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

We won at UNLV in 2012.

I know they aren't a coastal school but neither is Fresno.

He should have specified 1-6 in regular season games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember winning a bowl game on the west coast in 2016. End of the Tracy claeys era.

He should have specified 1-6 in regular season games.

Exactly, and I think the experience from 2017 is probably more relevant than a result from the 60's. Interesting Shamwa decided to go with this angle instead of the Gophers' record against the Mountain West. Or non conference winning streak. Or non-power 5 opponent winning streak.

per Shama:

The football Gophers are 1-6 in games on the West Coast (in California, Oregon, Washington) during the last 50 years. The only win came at Oregon State two years ago in coach P.J. Fleck’s first season. Saturday night Minnesota plays at Fresno State, with a 9:30 p.m. Minneapolis time kickoff and temps expected in the 80s.

Go Gophers!!

Re-phrased:

The Gophers are 1-0 in games on the West Coast in the past 5 years.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

Win or lose this has to be one of the least relevant and dumbest things this guy has ever written.

Maybe this writer also boycotted the Holiday Bowl in San Diego

How many players and staff on this Gopher team have a losing record on the west coast?

Zero.

Shama Lama .... Ding Dong.....

Bowl games don't count for this.
The challenge of a regular season game is the travel and effects of that and warm weather (dehydration).
Bowl games are generally during cooler time of year, and the team arrives well in advance to get acclimated.

Shama isn’t being glass half empty here. He’s being “did you know that 1/6 of the world population has no access to clean water and a third of Africa is covered with a desert?”

Irrelevant doomsaying with no logical connection to the situation at hand. All the current guys are undefeated playing out west.

I was at that Oregon State game, so I am 1-0 in West Coast games.

I am going to this week's game.

Thus

We're going to win, don't @ me.

The challenge of a regular season game is the travel and effects of that and warm weather (dehydration).
Bowl games are generally during cooler time of year, and the team arrives well in advance to get acclimated.

Oh, I disagree.

Bowl games do count as games played on the West Coast... when they are, in fact, games played on the West Coast.

I was at that Oregon State game, so I am 1-0 in West Coast games.

I am going to this week's game.

Thus

We're going to win, don't @ me.

Make sure you go to Pasadena

Win or lose this has to be one of the least relevant and dumbest things this guy has ever written.

And that is saying a lot because Shama has said a lot of irrelevant and dumb things. Easily one of my least favorite local sports "writers".

I’d really like it if we stopped posting anything he says on here.

Because it was SO hot at Oregon State I had to order coffee at halftime just to warm up... so does that earn an asterisk???

It wasn't overly hot for the USC game, either. I'm pretty sure the temps in Berkeley weren't sweltering, though I wasn't there.

When two of the three Pacific Coast states don't have temps any hotter than Minneapolis and at least a third of California doesn't either, that argument makes no sense.

I wonder how many of the games the Gophers were heavy underdogs for? How many were the Gophers favored? It'd be the opposite of saying some team is unbeaten in Ohio for 50 years, but had only played Cleveland State. Technically true, but with context doesn't seem relevant.

Last edited:

Because it was SO hot at Oregon State I had to order coffee at halftime just to warm up... so does that earn an asterisk???

It wasn't overly hot for the USC game, either. I'm pretty sure the temps in Berkeley weren't sweltering, though I wasn't there.

When two of the three Pacific Coast states don't have temps any hotter than Minneapolis and at least a third of California doesn't either, that argument makes no sense.

I wonder how many of the games the Gophers were heavy underdogs for? How many were the Gophers favored? It'd be the opposite of saying some team is unbeaten in Ohio for 50 years, but had only played Cleveland State. Technically true, but with context doesn't seem relevant.

I'm not sure what's relevant in this debate.
Maybe it's just travel time and acclimation to the climate.

I'm not sure what's relevant in this debate.
Maybe it's just travel time and acclimation to the climate.

Weather Channel is forecasting 82 degrees at 7:00 in Fresno tomorrow night, with low humidity. That doesn't sound too drastically different from Minneapolis weather this time of year. If that's an accurate forecast I wouldn't anticipate much acclimation/adjustment required.

They are saying it will be windy, however.

You need a new signature. Something like “Don’t be afraid to start a poll”.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

And between Babe Ruth and I, we have hit 714 homeruns in Major League Baseball.:confused:

per Shama:

The football Gophers are 1-6 in games on the West Coast (in California, Oregon, Washington) during the last 50 years.

The old "over the last 50 years" crap always makes me smile.

Hey, why stop at a mere 50 years?

Here's a stat that has exactly as much relevance as that one:

Over the last 150 years, Minnesota is 10th in the nation in number of National Championships won in football.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...ge-football-teams-most-national-championships

Okay, Shama; your turn...

Gophers extend west coast winning streak to 3.

Top Bottom