After Fleck, Craig Bohl?

Chappy

Reaction score
Okay so here's my reasoning...

1. Coached at NDSU where he had a 104-32 record and 3 consecutive FCS national titles and a TON of coach of the year awards, including one in 2016 for Mountain West Coach of the Year. Now while I don't put too much stock into non-FBS coaching records for FBS prospective coaches, the important thing here is he did it with NDSU. Minnesota is a huge recruiting state for the good Dakota teams (NDSU, SDSU, UND isn't too bad either) so I think he would fit in well here and be able to recruit here well.

2. He's coached Wyoming REALLY well. They just got done beating Mizzou, an SEC team, coached 1st rounder 7th overall QB Josh Allen who has gone on to set some NFL and Buff Bills records, has a MW division title, they had a rough season last year going 6-6 but won their last four games in a row and kept it decently close to really solid Hawaii team and a really good Utah State team. In 2017 they won their bowl game against Central Michigan.

3. They've been putting out some solid players from a place you wouldn't expect it. I mentioned Josh Allen earlier, but they've put out a lot of undrafted FA players into the NFL the past few seasons, as well as Marcus Epps to our own Vikings, Chase Roullier who starts at Center for the Redskins, and Brian Hill to the Falcons. Also senior LB Logan Wilson looks like he could be really good.

4. The rumors circulated in 2017 when Claeys was heading out the door. I still believe he would be a good fit for Minn. He could bring in Brent Vigen to OC job and I think it would work well.

So this has just been a thought I was having lately, and while you never truly know who is going to get hired or fired, much less who will be a good fit at wherever, I was thinking Bohl to gophs could be a good move when it's time to say goodbye to Fleck. Just to be clear, I don't think Fleck is a bad coach or anything, but unless there's some BIG improvements and BIG wins, then I don't think gophers will go anywhere and I think Bohl could be a good move afterward. Thoughts?

Okay so here's my reasoning...

1. Coached at NDSU where he had a 104-32 record and 3 consecutive FCS national titles and a TON of coach of the year awards, including one in 2016 for Mountain West Coach of the Year. Now while I don't put too much stock into non-FBS coaching records for FBS prospective coaches, the important thing here is he did it with NDSU. Minnesota is a huge recruiting state for the good Dakota teams (NDSU, SDSU, UND isn't too bad either) so I think he would fit in well here and be able to recruit here well.

2. He's coached Wyoming REALLY well. They just got done beating Mizzou, an SEC team, coached 1st rounder 7th overall QB Josh Allen who has gone on to set some NFL and Buff Bills records, has a MW division title, they had a rough season last year going 6-6 but won their last four games in a row and kept it decently close to really solid Hawaii team and a really good Utah State team. In 2017 they won their bowl game against Central Michigan.

3. They've been putting out some solid players from a place you wouldn't expect it. I mentioned Josh Allen earlier, but they've put out a lot of undrafted FA players into the NFL the past few seasons, as well as Marcus Epps to our own Vikings, Chase Roullier who starts at Center for the Redskins, and Brian Hill to the Falcons. Also senior LB Logan Wilson looks like he could be really good.

4. The rumors circulated in 2017 when Claeys was heading out the door. I still believe he would be a good fit for Minn. He could bring in Brent Vigen to OC job and I think it would work well.

So this has just been a thought I was having lately, and while you never truly know who is going to get hired or fired, much less who will be a good fit at wherever, I was thinking Bohl to gophs could be a good move when it's time to say goodbye to Fleck. Just to be clear, I don't think Fleck is a bad coach or anything, but unless there's some BIG improvements and BIG wins, then I don't think gophers will go anywhere and I think Bohl could be a good move afterward. Thoughts?

I think this thread is premature for many reasons, but sure, Bohl would be a possible candidate but timing seems too difficult to even consider right now.

How about Nick Saban. Now now now... Just hear me out..... He has won several National Championships at Alabama.

Craig Bohl is 61 and I don't expect Fleck to be fired this year, so no, Bohl isn't next

considering our next coach shouldn't be in consideration.

I mentioned earlier, we should've hired Bohl years ago instead Brewster. But we didn't. Heck, he might have been fine instead of Kill, but he wasn't hired

Ship has sailed

How about Nick Saban. Now now now... Just hear me out..... He has won several National Championships at Alabama.

Brilliant! If he turns it down, maybe we can get Dabo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking more Urban Meyer, possibly the ghost of Bernie Bierman would be a better fit for the U of M. Or maybe we could ask the ghost of Bernie Bierman to possess Urban Meyer and send him a contract offer.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

But who after Bohl?

That's what keeps me up at night.

I was thinking more Urban Meyer, possibly the ghost of Bernie Bierman would be a better fit for the U of M. Or maybe we could ask the ghost of Bernie Bierman to possess Urban Meyer and send him a contract offer.

Thoughts?

Three of the funniest lines I've seen here in a long while ... and all in the same thread!

Well played, all.

JTG

I’d want Bohl to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, another thread dealing with this crap.

Wont Bohl be in his 90's when Fleck retires? Let's see how he does over these next 30 years before we jump to conclusions.

There are so many decisions to be made before then, starting with where to construct the Fleck bronze statue. The obvious choice seems to be right out front but how does that impact the tribal nations plaza?

Fleck is being fired?

The team's performance last week must have really ticked off the AD.

Did 60's Guy chime in with the Vegas first coach to go odds?

Last edited:

If Fleck struggles at his next job, do you think we should try to hire Fleck back after Bohl?

Should we be prepared to move fast?

What do people think?

How about letting a coach's seat get warm before talking about his replacement? Wow.

This thread could have "oops wrong forum" or "new Uniforms" type potential.

Wont Bohl be in his 90's when Fleck retires? Let's see how he does over these next 30 years before we jump to conclusions.

There are so many decisions to be made before then, starting with where to construct the Fleck bronze statue. The obvious choice seems to be right out front but how does that impact the tribal nations plaza?

That's not a good location.
The obvious location is to put in in the third deck when it's built. Student end and make statue visible to all during the game.

That's not a good location.
The obvious location is to put in in the third deck when it's built. Student end and make statue visible to all during the game.

Statue? Instead they should construct a byzantinesque mosaic on the face of Williams Arena facing TCF to rival Notre Dame's "Touchdown Jesus."

You created an account just to post this garbage? During the season? GTFOH.
Ignore my initial response...didnt realize he was OP. Worthless thread.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mike Grant--We'd get Bud as an advisor for nothing.

Just to be clear, I don't think Fleck is a bad coach or anything, but unless there's some BIG improvements and BIG wins, then I don't think gophers will go anywhere

“If the Gophers don’t win more, then I don’t think the Gophers will win more”

What an exceedingly hot take.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom