Illegal blindside blocks

Pompous Elitist

Reaction score
There is a new rule for 2019 disallowing forcible contact on blindside blocks that can include a targeting element. I think this is a fair rule change but definitely opens up the interpretation can of worms.

My question is whether the Blaise Andries block on the screen late in the third quarter qualifies — seems “no” by definition since the DB looked right at Andries prior to contact thus cannot be blind side; and Andries approached from the front at a 45 degree angle rather than side or back. Andries decleating the lightweight DB seems to have drawn the eye of official. What say you?

Here is the official explanation

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GYAD2F0dFyI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just posted this on the "Up Front" report (and will be commenting there later), so thought I'd throw it here, as well.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Y0aoDMJhgHosthGezO" width="480" height="286" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/fs1-gopher-football-Y0aoDMJhgHosthGezO">via GIPHY</a></p>

Looks clean to me.

JTG

New rule is probably a good rule.

But not sure how Sam is supposed to block the smaller player as he works upfield.

That, and the 2nd holding call on Renner were big calls and were very bad calls. As an official you can’t call it unless you see the whole play. You can’t guess. They also missed a big time hold on SDSU’s 2nd TD (I believe it was).

That’s part of the game though. Refs 1st game too. I thought Durr got away with an interference call early in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah seemed a bit curious of a call to say the least. Looks clean and like both guys are running at each other within the field of view overall

If he would’ve led with two hands instead of shoulder/forearm it isn’t a penalty

That, and the 2nd holding call on Renner were big calls and were very bad calls. As an official you can’t call it unless you see the whole play. You can’t guess. They also missed a big time hold on SDSU’s 2nd TD (I believe it was).

That’s part of the game though. Refs 1st game too. I thought Durr got away with an interference call early in the game.

I thought SDSU got away with a hold or block in the back on that last kick return.

If he would’ve led with two hands instead of shoulder/forearm it isn’t a penalty

This. All of these are preventable by simply putting out the hands to begin the block. And a hand-initiated block would have been just as productive in this case.

This. All of these are preventable by simply putting out the hands to begin the block. And a hand-initiated block would have been just as productive in this case.

The fact that there was another way to legally make the block doesnt make the block illegal. This was a heavy block, but not a blindside one.

I don't love the rule, but I think it's necessary. Football needs fewer plays where those huge hits occur.

As far as Blaise's play, it's really hard to tell. It kind of looks like he sees him coming, but I'm not 100% sure he did. The SDSU player doesn't brace his body at all for that block.

I was screaming at my tv on that one. Dude had his armed hooked around the neck of our D guy. It was awful hold and right in front of the play. No excuse on that one.

If they fairly and consistently call this as laid out in the rule book it’s going to be called twenty times a game... they won’t, but barf.

Top Bottom