Another Gophers non-conference opponent revealed

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gophers will host Central Michigan (#122 in NET last season) on Nov. 21 as part of their multi-team event.

Another solid schedule get by Pitino.

2 games still TBD. There's a possibility one will be vs. a non-Division I opponent.

Central Michigan is coached by Keno Davis, who had that one phenomenal 28-5 year at Drake in 2008 after taking over from his dad, Tom Davis (formerly of Iowa). I went to a bunch of Drake games that year.

Good opponent for the Gophers. This is shaping up to be a really solid non-conference schedule.

Central Michigan is coached by Keno Davis, who had that one phenomenal 28-5 year at Drake in 2008 after taking over from his dad, Tom Davis (formerly of Iowa). I went to a bunch of Drake games that year.

Good opponent for the Gophers. This is shaping up to be a really solid non-conference schedule.

In my opinion, top to bottom, will be one of the very best we’ve had here in quite awhile. Even if the last 2 slots are filled with 300+ or non-D1 squads, it’s going to be one of the best in the Big Ten.

In my opinion, top to bottom, will be one of the very best we’ve had here in quite awhile. Even if the last 2 slots are filled with 300+ or non-D1 squads, it’s going to be one of the best in the Big Ten.

Excellent. I'm a big believer in tough out of conference schedules. Gets you battle tested in time for B1G play.

Gophers will host Central Michigan (#122 in NET last season) on Nov. 21 as part of their multi-team event.

Another solid schedule get by Pitino.

2 games still TBD. There's a possibility one will be vs. a non-Division I opponent.

Is there a single game against a top 10 program ? Just curious.

No there is not. A non-conference schedule does not require one of those to be good, though I’d sure like to have one.

Agree. I know how difficult they are to get . That is because those programs will not do a home and home. Through all the success that UVA had, only Villanova at the height of their powers agreed. So disappointing because as fans of whatever teams these are the games we want to see.

Agree. I know how difficult they are to get . That is because those programs will not do a home and home. Through all the success that UVA had, only Villanova at the height of their powers agreed. So disappointing because as fans of whatever teams these are the games we want to see.

I don't even think most of those programs will play a home game against the Gophers without needing to return the favor.

Not official but looks like Cornell will be another MTE opponent

Cornell finished #200 in the NET rankings last season.

I remember them playing some top 10 preseason opponents under Tubby, specifically I recall them beating a Louisville team ranked in the top 10 one year with Tubby as coach. However it seems those games were always a part of a pre-season tournament and not an individual game which apparently is much more difficult to schedule. Seems like you have to get them on a neutral court somehow.

I remember them playing some top 10 preseason opponents under Tubby, specifically I recall them beating a Louisville team ranked in the top 10 one year with Tubby as coach. However it seems those games were always a part of a pre-season tournament and not an individual game which apparently is much more difficult to schedule. Seems like you have to get them on a neutral court somehow.

That win over Louisville in Arizona (the "Al Nolen" game) was just a neutral-site deal, not part of a tournament. But you're right, Gophers highly unlikely to get games like that unless on neutral court.

Schedule announced
https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...le-game-times-and-television-information.aspx
Date Day Opponent Time Radio TV
10/28/19 Mon. Southwest Minnesota State (Exhibition) 7 p.m. ‐ BTN+
11/5/19 Tue. Cleveland State 7 p.m. TBA BTN+
11/9/19 Sat. vs. Oklahoma (at Sioux Falls, S.D.) 3:30/7 p.m.1 TBA BTN
11/12/19 Tue. at Butler (Gavitt Tipoff Games) 7:30 p.m. TBA FS1
11/15/19 Fri. at Utah TBA TBA TBA
11/21/19 Thu. Central Michigan 7 p.m. TBA BTN+
11/29/19 Fri. DePaul 2 p.m. TBA BTN+
12/2/19 Mon. Clemson (Big Ten/ACC Challenge) TBA TBA TBA
12/9/19 Mon. at Iowa* 7 p.m. TBA BTN
12/15/19 Sun. Ohio State* 5:30 p.m. TBA BTN
12/21/19 Sat. vs. Oklahoma State (at Tulsa, Okla.) TBA TBA TBA
12/28/19 Sat. FIU 1/3 p.m.2 TBA BTN
1/2/20 Thu. at Purdue* 6 p.m. TBA BTN
1/5/20 Sun. Northwestern* 6:30 p.m. TBA BTN
1/9/20 Thu. at Michigan State* 8 p.m. TBA ESPN/2
1/12/20 Sun. Michigan* 12 p.m. TBA BTN
1/15/20 Wed. Penn State* 8 p.m. TBA BTN
1/19/20 Sun. at Rutgers* 12 p.m. TBA BTN
1/23/20 Thu. at Ohio State* 5:30 p.m. TBA FS1
1/26/20 Sun. Michigan State* 2 p.m. TBA FOX
1/30/20 Thu. at Illinois* 6:30 p.m. TBA FS1
2/5/20 Wed. Wisconsin* 8 p.m. TBA BTN
2/8/20 Sat. at Penn State* 3 p.m. TBA BTN
2/16/20 Sun. Iowa* 12 p.m. TBA FS1
2/19/20 Wed. Indiana* 8 p.m. TBA BTN
2/23/20 Sun. at Northwestern* 2 p.m. TBA BTN
2/26/20 Wed. Maryland* 8 p.m. TBA BTN
3/1/20 Sun. at Wisconsin* 5:30 p.m. TBA BTN
3/4/20 Wed. at Indiana* 6 p.m. TBA BTN
3/8/20 Sun. Nebraska* 12 p.m. TBA BTN

From 11/9 to 11/15, games in SD, IN, and UT. Regardless of what you think of those teams, that's a tough road stretch in a short amount of time.

A couple more games likely will be added

Cornell not on schedule (my bad), but it sounds like the Fighting Sioux and Manhattan will be added once contracts are signed. Tentative dates are Nov. 18 (Fighting Sioux) and November 24 (Manhattan).

Cornell not on schedule (my bad), but it sounds like the Fighting Sioux and Manhattan will be added once contracts are signed. Tentative dates are Nov. 18 (Fighting Sioux) and November 24 (Manhattan).

Makes sense, it did seem like the slate was a little light on non conference home games.

18th would be kinda weird for UND game. Looking into what they know for their schedule right now they are scheduled to go to Valpo on November 17th.

Top Bottom