Weather for Fresno

According to Fleck in yesterday's press conference, they won't be there for very long.
They are staying on Central Time, leaving early afternoon Saturday, get there, play the game.
He also said this week they have been taking care of hydration, so I assume the team will be prepared.
The weather shouldn't be an issue.

There is a separate thread on this, but here's what I posted there:

I don't think this is correct. He said they were flying out early in the afternoon, but he clearly meant Friday, not Saturday. Fifteen seconds later he was talking about sleeping in a different bed and that it wasn't a big deal since many of them just moved anyway. When he says they are staying on Central time, he just means that they will follow their same routine and not try to adjust their body clocks. Did the same at Oregon State. There is no way that they would try to fly game day. What if the flight was delayed?

Andy Greder just confirmed to me on twitter that they will be flying out on Friday afternoon.

Not that it really matters as it is what it is, but I believe the exact opposite is true. When the dewpoint (humidity) is high, temps dont drop as much as they dont drop below the dewpoint (otherwise fog). In places like Arizona or desert CA, when the dewpoint and humidity are really low, the temp drops dramatically and rapidly after the sun sets (easily 20 - 30 degrees). Maybe GopherWeatherGuy can confirm one way or the other.
You are correct.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Minnesota will get to break in our new field just installed by AstroTurf this summer.
Here is a brief video showcasing the new stadium turf and gives you a panoramic view of the stadium.
Fresno has a bowl stadium set below the berm so it can get warm on the playing surface on hot days.
Are you sponsored by Purina?

You are correct.

Like I said “typically” in dry S. CA, AZ a sudden monsoon season drop in temps from the 100s to 90s is accompanied by moisture moving in, ie sticky less comfortable conditions. Personally in my experience I’d rather exercise or do activities at a higher temp and lower dew point but YMMV. In fact, I find the Real Feel type indexes underestimate the real perception of heat with a high dew point.

Now this may surprise you but I don’t know a thing about the weather patterns in Fresno. I’ve never had occasion to go up the Central Valley. The Bulldog fans can probably fill us in. It won’t be any worse than a typical late July/early August day in MN.

Last edited:

I used to do the Sept 1 opening Dove shoot during the 1980's and 1990's about 10-20 miles north of Fresno. Yeah, from about 10 am to sundown was uncomfortably hot, however sundown is on game day is 7:18 pm....after sundown it will still be hot, but will become more tolerable as the game progresses. The key to withstanding is to stay very hydrated. If so, the
heat won't play much into it.

I used to do the Sept 1 opening Dove shoot during the 1980's and 1990's about 10-20 miles north of Fresno. Yeah, from about 10 am to sundown was uncomfortably hot, however sundown is on game day is 7:18 pm....after sundown it will still be hot, but will become more tolerable as the game progresses. The key to withstanding is to stay very hydrated. If so, the
heat won't play much into it.

Thanks for the tip...I plan to fully hydrate beforehand with multiple liquid refreshments! Probably a good strategy for GHers watching it on TV as well. ;)

According to Fleck in yesterday's press conference, they won't be there for very long.
They are staying on Central Time, leaving early afternoon Saturday, get there, play the game.
He also said this week they have been taking care of hydration, so I assume the team will be prepared.
The weather shouldn't be an issue.

Not true. NCAA requires teams to be at road games day in advance.

Last edited:

I know in the pro's it is a league rule that the opposing team be in the town of the game the day before the game. I do not know if that applies to the college game, but I would assume so. Having so much money being generated in these games one would think that the visiting team being there the night before would be a priority. If bad weather showed up the day of the game and the plane could not get in, there would be problems as one would expect.

Having traveled in California, I understand the weather pattern. Picks up the Calcutta Clipper, swings down, swings up, ah, lakefront influence, then out. Not your typical September day in Fresno (or Buffalo).

In looking at the Fresno forecast - it looks like WIND will have a much larger impact on the game compared to HEAT. Kickoff temp in the mid to low 80's but with NW winds topping 20 mph. Hopefully the team packs its running game for the trip.

Fleck said they are staying on Central time, but will be staying up later and sleeping in later.

(It seems like a contradiction and I'm lost on it).

In other news, he said they started hydration earlier this week.
Evidently you need to start several days in advance. Not sure how this works.

Fleck said they are staying on Central time, but will be staying up later and sleeping in later.

Hopefully not everyone. We may need a‘‘ cramp time out‘‘ during the game.

Our only weather factor of concern is in November when we might switch the home-visitors sides at TCF...

I do the same when I travel to Europe. I stay on Central time - I just go to bed in the middle of the afternoon MN time and then get up in the middle of the night MN time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think what he means is meals, practice(?), and study times will stay in central time while they are on the west coast.

I think what he means is meals, practice(?), and study times will stay in central time while they are on the west coast.

Makes sense. You go with what your body wants you to do.

I never lose much sleep over the weather conditions because both teams have to deal with the same thing. When the weather is "extreme" one way or the other neither team has an advantage based on where their team plays football. It all comes down to the individual players and how they deal with the weather, some players fall apart in bad conditions and others thrive.

I can’t agree with you. Let’s say one team passes great but the weather won’t allow them to. Pretty big disadvantage. Let’s say it’s incredibly hot...one team has far superior depth and is also used to practicing in hot weather...that’s an advantage to a team that is more used to playing fewer guys in moderate temperatures. Lots of other scenarios where certain conditions favor one team over the other.
You got speed to burn...you play on a muddy field and can’t utilize your strength. They have slower sure footed guys used to playing on grass. Etc etc

I can’t agree with you. Let’s say one team passes great but the weather won’t allow them to. Pretty big disadvantage. Let’s say it’s incredibly hot...one team has far superior depth and is also used to practicing in hot weather...that’s an advantage to a team that is more used to playing fewer guys in moderate temperatures. Lots of other scenarios where certain conditions favor one team over the other.
You got speed to burn...you play on a muddy field and can’t utilize your strength. They have slower sure footed guys used to playing on grass. Etc etc

Only severe cold seems to affect games now days. Most fields in DI aren't affected by rain. Last year's game against Indiana is proof. "Severe" heat only affects teams that have sh!tty support staff and sth!ttier coaching staffs. Hydration. Done.

I was just looking at weather.com/Weather Channel forecast; they're usually pretty accurate 48 hours out.

They predict low 80s/high 70s at 7:30 Fresno time tomorrow night.

They are also predicting 20 mph winds. Hard to throw in 20 mph winds. We're going to need to run the ball, and do it well.

The temperature is down to 85 degrees with 30 percent humidity as of 8:27 PM CST. The wind has been increasing and now is at 22 MPH.

Fortunately the team will not be facing withering, Murfreesboro like heat, otherwise they could just as well award the win the Fresno now.

On the weather channel site it shows 81 now. 77 by 8:00 PM.

Between 71 and 67 by game end if it goes to OT.

78 degrees currently in Fresno.

Weather is now showing as 76 degrees.

Top Bottom