STrib: Tanner Morgan gives Gophers something to build on, heading to Fresno State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Morgan’s mobility was on full display in the fourth quarter, when he broke out on a 14-yard run. That made up the bulk of his 22 rushing yards on five attempts.

Fleck said no one would look at the 6-foot, 215-pound Morgan and think he’s a running quarterback. But he is a quarterback who can run, which is an important distinction. Morgan might only bring that skill out once or twice in a game, but the one he did against South Dakota State was “perfect,” according to his coach.

“When he runs, it’s an effective run,” Fleck said. “I don’t think you’re going to see a lot of big design runs, a quarterback power, quarterback counter, those types of things for him. But he’s effective enough. And he’s smart enough to be able to understand his reads and when he should pull it and when he should get it.”

http://www.startribune.com/tanner-m...o-build-on-heading-to-fresno-state/559292342/

Go Gophers!!

I'm usually not the Debbie Downer, but I felt the stats didn't really show what seemed to be a lot of throwing to the first look in heavy coverage and not seeing open guys. Maybe that's how the play calling just was, but I'm a bit nervous thinking that if it continues it simply won't work later.

I'm usually not the Debbie Downer, but I felt the stats didn't really show what seemed to be a lot of throwing to the first look in heavy coverage and not seeing open guys. Maybe that's how the play calling just was, but I'm a bit nervous thinking that if it continues it simply won't work later.

I think some of that was due to the pressure SDSU was able to apply, i.e. Morgan didn't have time to progress through his looks, so he threw to the first mildly open guy he could. Only if there were literally no open men down field before pressure was applied, did he run and look for someone who had run more of their route.

Top Bottom