Fresno State Bark Board

Yes, Boise is considered one of our main rivals. But in terms of long standing rivalries Fresno has other schools that are more historical rivals like San Jose State, San Diego State, Hawaii. Fresno began playing schools like San Jose and San Diego in the 1920s, and did not start mixing it up with Boise as an FCS school until the 1990s. Boise was a jr college until 1974 when it became Boise State University. Many Fresno fans resent/hate Boise because they have dominated Fresno many times in the past and because of the success they have achieved. I personally consider SDSU to be our strongest divisional rival and Boise to be our strongest MWC rival at present. And many pundits expect Boise and Fresno to meet up again in the MWC championship game for the third consecutive time this year. Fresno had the better time in 2018, and Boise had the better team in 2017.
Boise has a very good team again this year with most of their returners coming back. Fresno is going through a rebuilding year this year with a new QB, new O line, new WRs, new LB unit, etc. But the team is well coached by Jeff Tedford. I know some opposing fans think that is a little overblown because they hear it so much from Fresno fans. But he has advised many great coaches on offensive schemes, QB development/play, etc. in the past, like Coach Chris Petersen, at UW, Nick Saban, Alabama and Urban Meyer, formerly of Florida/Ohio State just to name a few because he is considered a great coach.

Good information shared. Thanks! I think it is going to be a tough game for us. I see it going either way. I am not optimistic about our chances playing at Fresno, but I thought we'd get beat at home last year. So, what do I know? I just hope for an entertaining game Saturday night.

Last edited:

Here's my question: Why is the term "boat race" synonymous with blowout? Are boat races traditionally pretty lopsided? I've never watched one.

Here is one interpretation, in a boat race, once the lead boat pushes ahead, it leaves behind wake turbulence, making it even more impossible for the inferior boat to catch up, so the gap widens and widens.

Yes, Boise is considered one of our main rivals. But in terms of long standing rivalries Fresno has other schools that are more historical rivals like San Jose State, San Diego State, Hawaii. Fresno began playing schools like San Jose and San Diego in the 1920s, and did not start mixing it up with Boise as an FCS school until the 1990s. Boise was a jr college until 1974 when it became Boise State University. Many Fresno fans resent/hate Boise because they have dominated Fresno many times in the past and because of the success they have achieved. I personally consider SDSU to be our strongest divisional rival and Boise to be our strongest MWC rival at present. And many pundits expect Boise and Fresno to meet up again in the MWC championship game for the third consecutive time this year. Fresno had the better time in 2018, and Boise had the better team in 2017.
Boise has a very good team again this year with most of their returners coming back. Fresno is going through a rebuilding year this year with a new QB, new O line, new WRs, new LB unit, etc. But the team is well coached by Jeff Tedford. I know some opposing fans think that is a little overblown because they hear it so much from Fresno fans. But he has advised many great coaches on offensive schemes, QB development/play, etc. in the past, like Coach Chris Petersen, at UW, Nick Saban, Alabama and Urban Meyer, formerly of Florida/Ohio State just to name a few because he is considered a great coach.

My wife and I went to the Hawaii-Fresno St. game during our honeymoon to HI, during the June Jones/Colt Brennan years. My Big Ten brain nearly exploded watching two teams with a run & shoot offense.

My wife and I went to the Hawaii-Fresno St. game during our honeymoon to HI, during the June Jones/Colt Brennan years. My Big Ten brain nearly exploded watching two teams with a run & shoot offense.

The Fresno St. fans here can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Fresno St. teams under Pat Hill always ran a pro style offense.

Tedford is a really good coach, no doubt. But I think some Fresno fans feel like he's basically Saban or Mike Leach. He had some really good teams at Cal, but a ton of mediocre and bad teams, and he was recruiting top 25 classes every year. It's hard to believe that with classes ranked 84th in 2017, 92 in 2018, and 87 in 2019 that his teams are way better than those Cal teams. Something doesn't quite add up. Perhaps your team is just a good G5 team, that would be middle of the pack in most major conferences. Nothing to scoff at, but not quite a juggernaut.

Stands for the San Joaquin valley in California and the V being green represents the agricultural identity of the valley.
The valley has been described as the "Food Basket of the World because of the diversity of crops found there, The San Joaquin Valley grows cotton, grapes, olives, potatoes, stone fruit, Asian vegetables, nuts, citrus, and berries. Out of the Sacramento Valley come rice, beans, row crops, fruits, cattle, corn, and grapes. FWIW
Fresno State feels it is the football representative for the valley which stretches from Sacramento (North) to Los Angeles (South) and wear the V out of respect for the valley and it's inhabitants.

ima be in the central valley this saturday. what are the chances i get stabbed by a fresneck if i’m cheering for the gophers?

With Fresno State's Agricultural roots, I wonder if our fan bases are pretty similar. Historically the Gophers have attracted a lot of outstate fans (some farmers for sure).

I wish I could swing it this weekend. Not a huge fan of country music but the Bakersfield and Fresno sound are cool.

Here's my question: Why is the term "boat race" synonymous with blowout? Are boat races traditionally pretty lopsided? I've never watched one.

I think Speedboat is the more common term used...

Here is one interpretation, in a boat race, once the lead boat pushes ahead, it leaves behind wake turbulence, making it even more impossible for the inferior boat to catch up, so the gap widens and widens.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

I think Speedboat is the more common term used...

I can’t recall their handle but someone proclaimed we’d get motorboated by Wisconsin which was kind of interesting. Some of the guys might like that too much.

ima be in the central valley this saturday. what are the chances i get stabbed by a fresneck if i’m cheering for the gophers?

There are very few polar bears in the Central Valley, so your odds of being stabbed are exceedingly low.

boat raced
To be beaten very badly at something, especially in such a fashion that you were behind from the start and never had a chance. Comes from the Boat Race, an annual rowing competition between Oxford and Cambridge, in which the first side to get ahead can move to the middle of the river (where the current is fastest) and is almost never overtaken thereafter.

Is this a serious question?

No, I can't imagine it is. I think it refers to a polar bear stabbing thread from a few years ago.

Welcome to the board, sbbulldog85! We appreciate your contribution during game week.

sbbulldog, are you still hanging around? Three questions:

1. Who is the best college player FSU ever produced?
2. Who is the best pro player FSU ever produced?
3. Who is the best player on your team right now?

sbbulldog, are you still hanging around? Three questions:

I'm not sbbulldog, but my answers:

1. David Carr
2. Logan Mankins (Henry Ellard is also acceptable)
3. Ronnie Rivers

1. David Carr
3. Ronnie Rivers

Pretty good responses, I like the following:
1) David Carr
2) Trent Dilfer, won Super Bowl as starting QB for the Ravens
also like Lorenzo Neal, spent 16 seasons in the NFL, described as one of the best blocking backs to ever play in the NFL
3) toss up between, RB Ronnie Rivers and MLB Mykal Walker

1. David Carr
3. Ronnie Rivers

1) David Carr
also like Lorenzo Neal, spent 16 seasons in the NFL, described as one of the best blocking backs to ever play in the NFL

I’d put Walker ahead of Rivers. Muti might be #1.

1. David Carr
3. Ronnie Rivers

1) David Carr

A certain WR for the Packers is on his way to being the answer to #2. Might be there already.

There are very few polar bears in the Central Valley, so your odds of being stabbed are exceedingly low.

You have a greater chance of being stabbed by a knife-wielding polar bear in the Warehouse District in Minneapolis.

A certain WR for the Packers is on his way to being the answer to #2. Might be there already.

Adams is a top notch player also, he entered the nfl draft as a sophomore that's how good he was.
Interesting thing is nobody was recruiting him out of high school.
Fresno basically took a flyer on him, just like they took a flyer on Keesean Johnson who is now with the Arizona Cardinals...

I’d put Walker ahead of Rivers. Muti might be #1.

same thing with Walker and Rivers and Muti. All really good players that were not recruited by anyone. 2 star players or walkons.
But that is something that Fresno does often, finds these players that are under the radar and develop them into stars, like Adams.
someone mentioned Logan Mankins earlier, probably the greatest O lineman produced by Fresno was also walkon...
Fresno is like the MWC's version of the bad news bears...take all these unlikely players and try and build a team...

Fresno State Board is upset Boise can beat Florida St, but they can't beat us at home.

Well, we're better than FLA ST.

Fresno State Board is upset Boise can beat Florida St, but they can't beat us at home.

Well, we're better than FLA ST.

It was a total miracle that they got to play us in overtime. We shot ourselves in the foot all night long. Dumb penalties to extend their drives, 3 turnovers, some horseschit play calling.

Had we lost..........it would be one of those games where you have no idea how you did.

You play that game again, we win by 17 minimum.

They were trash-talking my comments about their quarterback making boneheaded decisions and the fact that they looked like a beatable team.

Two ints and one W later. I feel pretty vindicated.

They were trash-talking my comments about their quarterback making boneheaded decisions and the fact that they looked like a beatable team.

Two ints and one W later. I feel pretty vindicated.

Pretty much everything I predicted over there came true. I said we would run better than last year, we'd score more points, and control TOP, and Reyna would have costly mistakes. I said their best hope was that Tedford would lean more on Rivers and take the ball out of Reyna's hands.

God bless em, those fans are beside themselves. They hate their QB and they can't believe they lost to Minnesota. At least someone over there finally acknowledged that the Gophers have talent on the roster.

I will probably never visit that board again.

Reyna played much better than he did against USC, but I’m afraid his turnovers are gonna haunt that team all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reyna played much better than he did against USC, but I’m afraid his turnovers are gonna haunt that team all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'll get better. We have really good corners/safeties that forced him to make mistakes.

Top Bottom