Fresno State Bark Board

If we play well (read if our line play plays up to end of 2018 levels), I don’t see how they can win. If our lines play like week 1, I don’t see how we can win. I’m betting on our players and coaches to make adjustments and play with urgency after last week and this will be a 2 score or more win.

Well, you made me check it out and overall I didn’t think it was GSUTalon -type insane. Mostly some mild chest beating but also some reasonable takes given what we’ve seen so far. Ultimately the way to shut them up is to win in their house in convincing fashion.

Are these takes really that crazy for an opposing teams’s fanbase?

Here is another question,
Northwestern won the B10 west division and beat Minn convincingly last year, so would you say they are a pretty good team by B10 standards?
Northwestern got beat by a decent Stanford team last week
A nationally ranked Stanford team is travelling to USC this weekend and Stanford are underdogs in that game by 2.5 points, How does that happen if USC is such a pedestrian team, Gopher fan?
The answer is because they are not...

Fresno played soft against USC. Weak tackling and couldnt get off blocks. Big 10 teams seem to be more physical, bigger, and stronger up front than a USC type team. The Dogs will have their hands full and with a very mistake prone team against USC, I am actually surprised Vegas didnt make it +7 for us, although I think we will shore up some mistakes and cover the spread or even win against the Gophers.

Just like Minnesota, it is to be determined how good we are, but we're at home. Many, many teams and their fans come into Bulldog Stadium chirping and leave with their tail between their legs. Most recently, Toledo. They had some dude running his mouth on here last year about how they are the equivalent of a middle of the pack B1G team and he never showed up after the game as he promised he would. These exchanges are very reminiscent of that....oblivious to the situation their team is getting into.
For me, this game comes down to coaching and we have the sizable advantage there.

I checked out the board a few times last year. They were VERY upset they lost to us and feel it was 100 percent a fluke.

They are crazy, but it is hard to argue with them on this one. Took a unbelievable play by Antoine Winfield Jr. to save the game.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned to them that we managed to hold them to 14 points with a Robb Smith defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel bad for the guy who was talking about taking money out of his retirement to bet on Fresno at +3.5 (though now it's +3).

def better value to bet Fresno on the moneyline in this case, especially if you want to simply pick them to win outright

My favorite is the guy that said USC has 8 first or second round picks on this team. Yikes. And the victory wasn't a fluke last year. Sure, maybe they tie it up if AWJ doesn't make that pick, but that was to TIE the game, not to WIN the game.

def better value to bet Fresno on the moneyline in this case, especially if you want to simply pick them to win outright

True. They’re talking like Fresno will win by 14. So why waste your money on the spread??

Yikes. Vegas lives off people like that. Think they have a sure thing, but they don’t have the full perspective on everything.

Losing a game because an opposing player makes a great play is not a fluke, like a bad bounce, or something. Superior athletes often make great plays that decide games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USC is coached by a guy who may not make it to midseason, and they would have boat-raced Fresno State if Daniels doesn't get hurt.

I don't know how the Gophers respond to last week's game but this is most certainly a winnable game for MN. Fresno is not as good as they were last year.

I feel bad for the guy who was talking about taking money out of his retirement to bet on Fresno at +3.5 (though now it's +3).

That's why I'm not a fan of spreads. Especially football. Especially college football. It's fake you out, week to week. Vegas isn't still standing for no reason.

You obviously don't win as much, but I like betting simply on the team to win the game. It's simple and you cheer for the team to win, no matter how. Anyway ...

Let's just say that Tony, Guido, and Rocco know what they are doing... (at least on average)... :clap:

These west coast games are usually very challenging, even against bad teams. And Fresno is good. If Minnesota wins it would be the first regular season win in California since 1964.

In the last 50 years Minnesota is 1-7 in regular season games played in the Pacific states. The only win was against Oregon State, in 2017, the first away game with PJ as HC. And that was a blowout win.

Hey guys, looking forward to the game this weekend. You guys have any questions about Fresno or Fresno State football. I am an alum and have been a Fresno St football fan for almost the past 40 years. I read your posts about the bark board. Fresno fans aren't all that much different than your fans. Contrary to what you might think most reasonable Fresno fans are under no delusions about this weekend. Minnesota is going to be one of the toughest games on our schedule this year and the Bulldogs will have to play error free to win the contest. If you heard anyone say things like Fresno is going to boat race the gophers, etc.. that is just hyperbole you will find on most fan boards...

Stands for the San Joaquin valley in California and the V being green represents the agricultural identity of the valley.
The valley has been described as the "Food Basket of the World because of the diversity of crops found there, The San Joaquin Valley grows cotton, grapes, olives, potatoes, stone fruit, Asian vegetables, nuts, citrus, and berries. Out of the Sacramento Valley come rice, beans, row crops, fruits, cattle, corn, and grapes. FWIW
Fresno State feels it is the football representative for the valley which stretches from Sacramento (North) to Los Angeles (South) and wear the V out of respect for the valley and it's inhabitants.

Hey guys, looking forward to the game this weekend. You guys have any questions about Fresno or Fresno State football. I am an alum and have been a Fresno St football fan for almost the past 40 years. I read your posts about the bark board. Fresno fans aren't all that much different than your fans. Contrary to what you might think most reasonable Fresno fans are under no delusions about this weekend. Minnesota is going to be one of the toughest games on our schedule this year and the Bulldogs will have to play error free to win the contest. If you heard anyone say things like Fresno is going to boat race the gophers, etc.. that is just hyperbole you will find on most fan boards...

Bingo. Your fans are no different than ours despite this silliness.

Thanks, welcome. I look forward to it, and it'll be tough game, was tough one last year here at TCF. Fresno is a good program with good coach, outside of vs Mn I was rooting for them do well. Tired of blue field bull ****.

Perhaps a dumb question, is Boise St your main and most hated rival?

If so, who is second?

I was stationed at Castle Air Force Base in the 80s, about an hour north of Fresno. I kind of regret that I didn't drive down to Fresno for a game. I didn't drive south that much, if I left town, it was usually to drive out to the coast.

I did not find the Bark Board to look like other opposing team chat boards so while it might be true the fan base as a whole is like most others, the representation on that board is not. I see some hyperbole on most fan boards, but not at the rate I saw it on the Bark board. The strangest part is there was MORE of it this year than there was last year prior to the game in Mpls.

Sbbulldog85, it's nice to have you here at the Gopherhole, and it's especially nice that you're friendly. There seems an unusually high level of anger/rage/resentment/sarcasm/hyperbole on the Bark Board, that's why I didn't register there.

I understand that you lost a good number of starters who graduated, but Fresno State fans seem to think the team will be better than last year. Is this a case where the new crop of starters is better than the old crop, or is it just hopeful optimism?

Last edited:

True. They’re talking like Fresno will win by 14. So why waste your money on the spread??

Yikes. Vegas lives off people like that. Think they have a sure thing, but they don’t have the full perspective on everything.

You are talking like we don't understand gambling. . . lol.

People can think a team will win and not put their finances into question based off of that belief. It's not being hypocritical, it's why a pencil has an eraser.

Vegas does make some money on rubes thinking too much of their team. But that's not really where they make their money. They make it on people who think they've figured out a system and are betting many games over the weekend.

Perhaps a dumb question, is Boise St your main and most hated rival?

If so, who is second?

Yes, Boise is considered one of our main rivals. But in terms of long standing rivalries Fresno has other schools that are more historical rivals like San Jose State, San Diego State, Hawaii. Fresno began playing schools like San Jose and San Diego in the 1920s, and did not start mixing it up with Boise as an FCS school until the 1990s. Boise was a jr college until 1974 when it became Boise State University. Many Fresno fans resent/hate Boise because they have dominated Fresno many times in the past and because of the success they have achieved. I personally consider SDSU to be our strongest divisional rival and Boise to be our strongest MWC rival at present. And many pundits expect Boise and Fresno to meet up again in the MWC championship game for the third consecutive time this year. Fresno had the better time in 2018, and Boise had the better team in 2017.
Boise has a very good team again this year with most of their returners coming back. Fresno is going through a rebuilding year this year with a new QB, new O line, new WRs, new LB unit, etc. But the team is well coached by Jeff Tedford. I know some opposing fans think that is a little overblown because they hear it so much from Fresno fans. But he has advised many great coaches on offensive schemes, QB development/play, etc. in the past, like Coach Chris Petersen, at UW, Nick Saban, Alabama and Urban Meyer, formerly of Florida/Ohio State just to name a few because he is considered a great coach.

Yes, Boise is considered one of our main rivals. But in terms of long standing rivalries Fresno has other schools that are more historical rivals like San Jose State, San Diego State, Hawaii. Fresno began playing schools like San Jose and San Diego in the 1920s, and did not start mixing it up with Boise as an FCS school until the 1990s. Boise was a jr college until 1974 when it became Boise State University. Many Fresno fans resent/hate Boise because they have dominated Fresno many times in the past and because of the success they have achieved. I personally consider SDSU to be our strongest divisional rival and Boise to be our strongest MWC rival at present. And many pundits expect Boise and Fresno to meet up again in the MWC championship game for the third consecutive time this year. Fresno had the better time in 2018, and Boise had the better team in 2017.
Boise has a very good team again this year with most of their returners coming back. Fresno is going through a rebuilding year this year with a new QB, new O line, new WRs, new LB unit, etc. But the team is well coached by Jeff Tedford. I know some opposing fans think that is a little overblown because they hear it so much from Fresno fans. But he has advised many great coaches on offensive schemes, QB development/play, etc. in the past, like Coach Chris Petersen, at UW, Nick Saban, Alabama and Urban Meyer, formerly of Florida/Ohio State just to name a few because he is considered a great coach.

Quite honestly, Tedford is a great coach. This game should be a good old fashioned "dog-fight".

I do look for our offensive line to wear down the defense and spring a few long gainers especially as the game wears on. We have 4 very capable running backs that possess different running styles. This on top of the size and depth difference, should give the Bulldogs trouble.

Here's my question: Why is the term "boat race" synonymous with blowout? Are boat races traditionally pretty lopsided? I've never watched one.

Quite honestly, Tedford is a great coach. This game should be a good old fashioned "dog-fight".

I do look for our offensive line to wear down the defense and spring a few long gainers especially as the game wears on. We have 4 very capable running backs that possess different running styles. This on top of the size and depth difference, should give the Bulldogs trouble.

Our Oline will have to block people in order to wear them down.

Sbbulldog85, it's nice to have you here at the Gopherhole, and it's especially nice that you're friendly. There seems an unusually high level of anger/rage/resentment/sarcasm/hyperbole on the Bark Board, that's why I didn't register there.

I understand that you lost a good number of starters who graduated, but Fresno State fans seem to think the team will be better than last year. Is this a case where the new crop of starters is better than the old crop, or is it just hopeful optimism?

Right now in MY estimation the 2019 week 1 Bulldog team is not as good as our 12-2 team from last year.
But it has the potential to be very good if it progresses as it should throughout the season.
Once again, many Fresno fans were expecting some mild regression this year from last year.
But for myself even if Fresno does not match their record from last year, if they are able win their division, contend for the conference title again, go to a good bowl game I will consider the season to be successful.

Top Bottom