STrib: Gophers can learn some lessons from Batman, coach P.J. Fleck says

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

P.J. Fleck thinks the Gophers football team has a lot to learn from Batman. Specifically, Christian Bale’s Batman.

To the coach, the original comic book iteration of the character was amazing. That spawned a 1960s TV series and movie that were classics in their campiness.

“Then there was a lull of all these Batman movies that never really made a ton,” Fleck said. “All of a sudden, boom, ‘The Dark Knight’ hit, and it was like, one of the largest-grossing movies ever.”

What the Gophers can learn from that — besides that fact that their coach clearly prefers Christopher Nolan’s interpretation to Tim Burton’s — is that even despite going dormant for around 50 years, Batman rose again. And the Gophers, whose last national championship came in 1960, can do the same.

Every year, Fleck said Monday, his teams follow a theme, from musical groups to historic world leaders. This year, it’s movies. The ideas come from the Gophers’ creative team, which includes staff from football operations to recruiting to graphic design.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...s-from-batman-coach-p-j-fleck-says/559184892/

Go Gophers!!

Hmm. I feel like the 1989 Batman Movie with Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton is being a little undersold here.

Hmm. I feel like the 1989 Batman Movie with Jack Nicholson and Michael Keaton is being a little undersold here.
It was a 10 win season with an epic 4th quarter collapse in arguably the most significant game in years.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Thanks Slab for the turning on the way back machine with that clip.

As a kid watched the same bat time and same bat channel religiously.

Although that scene was probably as contrived and campy as any of the myriad fight scenes, it actually demonstrated great creativity and makes me wonder how many takes it took.

More on topic, if Coach's reference works with the 18-22 year-olds then works for me.

Thanks Slab for the turning on the way back machine with that clip.

As a kid watched the same bat time and same bat channel religiously.

Although that scene was probably as contrived and campy as any of the myriad fight scenes, it actually demonstrated great creativity and makes me wonder how many takes it took.

More on topic, if Coach's reference works with the 18-22 year-olds then works for me.

It's such a classic scene, campy or not I see folks post that clip on the internet quite a bit. One of those timeless sort of things.

It really helps that the old batman TV show was campy, but self aware.

Best Batman Scene of all time! And some quality special effects!

Best Batman Scene of all time! And some quality special effects!

That show had a certain fearlessness in terms of "yeah fine let's do that and see how it turns out".

It has been so long that you forget how corny and fun that show was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I want to hear Fleck talk in Christian Bale's "Batman Voice." (that was one aspect of the Nolan Movies I never bought....)

You mean because it grosses $250MM off of a budget of $35MM and Batman Begins grossed $205MM off of a budget of $150MM?

Don’t get me wrong, the Dark Knight Trilogy is by far my favorite of all of the Batman movies, and #2 and #3 made far more (almost $1 Billion - with a B) vs between $300-$400MM combined for the follow up to Tim Burton’s Batman, (and WB totally sh!t the bed by dumping the set up with Gordon Leavitt picking up the mantle in favor of Ben Affleck’s wooden performances — what’s the difference between Elvis and Ben Affleck’s Batman? Elvis is still alive.) but per usual Peej doesn’t let the facts get in the way of a good analogy......or attempted analogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom