Steve Greenberg on U: "Somebody has to be the most disappointing team in BT"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Steve Greenberg on U: "Somebody has to be the most disappointing team in BT"

per Greenberg's Big Ten West predictions:

7. MINNESOTA (4-8, 2-7)

Predictions: What, an early loss at Fresno State? … What, a loss at home to Illinois? … What, no more America’s sweetheart status for P.J. Fleck?

Bottom line: Somebody has to be the most disappointing team in the Big Ten.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/8...tate-iowa-penn-state-big-ten-predictions-2019

Go Gophers!!

Chicago writer pissed off that everyone picked Illinois last, so randomly picked one of the other four West teams in the middle.

Well, after watching week #1, you would certainly not put the Gophers among the top teams in the conference.

From what I saw, Northwestern had a bad week. Purdue also struggled.

Maybe everything will look different next week. But, if the Gophers do not show some significant improvement, I think a number of people may be revising their pre-season predictions.

Well, after watching week #1, you would certainly not put the Gophers among the top teams in the conference.

Maybe everything will look different next week. But, if the Gophers do not show some significant improvement, I think a number of people may be revising their pre-season predictions.

Most, including me, expected last year's momentum to carry forward. Week 1 did not.

Some on here are overreacting, some are probably over compensating with week 1 excuses

If week 1 team is team we see all season, PJ should be fired. Sadly, it feels like some are cheering for that so they can be right

Most, including me, expected last year's momentum to carry forward. Week 1 did not.

Some on here are overreacting, some are probably over compensating with week 1 excuses

If week 1 team is team we see all season, PJ should be fired. Sadly, it feels like some are cheering for that so they can be right

Wait for one of them to realize you are talking about them and defend themselves.

He's making too much of week one. Nebraska's offense is bound to bounce back as the offensive line jells, just to give one example - and Northwestern has a long history of losing early, then coming back for very successful runs in the B10. The Gopher schedule is very tough, in my opinion (but not that of the pundits) because SD State could end up #2 or #3 nationally in their division; Fresno State will be in the run for their division title; Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin could all beat the Gophers and both Maryland and Illinois have in the past and might again. Even Rutgers has improved. The Gophers are going to have to outscore a lot of these teams which means they can't run for two yards a carry 40 times a game. They need a more varied, explosive offense - and they do have the pass/catch talent to do that. Morgan completed over 70% of his passes.

I’ve honestly never seen so much overreaction as I’ve seen on Gopherhole on a daily, monthly, and yearly basis. All it took was to beat Wisconsin and GT for some to start talking about 9-10 wins...even more in some cases (Well, they still could win that many, I suppose). This season, they returned most of the 2018 production, are 1-0, and sleep walked their way through a NC game against an inferior opponent (this happens a lot with good teams, who go on to have great seasons), and half of Gopherhole is about to jump off a bridge. It’s not healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

= half of the posters on this site. Sad, but stereotypical "Minnesota fan". Hope for the worst, act like a know it all when they win.

I prefer to see a still young team finding a way to win despite adversity. You've not seen that very often in the last 20 years. I prefer to expect this team to win, like most real fans. It's far easier to grieve a loss for a couple of days that to live in a constant state of self-inflicted depression and negativity.

= half of the posters on this site. Sad, but stereotypical "Minnesota fan". Hope for the worst, act like a know it all when they win.

I prefer to see a still young team finding a way to win despite adversity. You've not seen that very often in the last 20 years. I prefer to expect this team to win, like most real fans. It's far easier to grieve a loss for a couple of days that to live in a constant state of self-inflicted depression and negativity.

I really doubt there are any regular posters who hope the Gophers lose. There are some, however, that are more than delighted to point out any PJ faults, real or perceived. Not sure how much of it is based on his schtick and personality or how much of it is people still pissed about Claeys. Probably a combination of both since there's a pretty high correlation between the "Tracy got screwed people" and "PJ is a dishonest con man."

And there were a lot of things about the SDS game to be critical of. The Gophers had a chance to take the game over after the interception TD but let the Jackrabbits back into the game. We were outcoached. The third quarter was absolutely agonizing. You could say we were lucky to win. But it was the first game and I don't think it necessarily means we're going to struggle this year. Hoping they open it up more on offense this week and hope the defense starts coming after them instead of being passive and sometimes confused.

The dude obviously didn’t watch the Purdue game, I did. That, was an epic collapse.

It’s true, Steve Greenberg knows nothing about college football or sports in general.

It’s all about response bitches. [emoji23]

I’ve honestly never seen so much overreaction as I’ve seen on Gopherhole on a daily, monthly, and yearly basis. All it took was to beat Wisconsin and GT for some to start talking about 9-10 wins...even more in some cases (Well, they still could win that many, I suppose). This season, they returned most of the 2018 production, are 1-0, and sleep walked their way through a NC game against an inferior opponent (this happens a lot with good teams, who go on to have great seasons), <b>and half of Gopherhole is about to jump off a bridge. </b>It’s not healthy.

I keep hearing this, but am yet to see any evidence of any poster (much less half of GH) saying any more than we played like crap and if we don’t play a lot better we will lose games we shouldn’t. I haven’t seen anyone say we suck, say we won’t make a bowl, say we will be lucky to beat Rutgers, or any other “bridge jumping” statements. Maybe you could share an example?

The way the Gophers played is like a 5th-7th place B1G West team. But, like last year with the inexperience of the team as a whole they made adjustments and they got better playing together.

That momentum did not carry thru and they still have ways to go. Losing Jared Weyler the OL signal caller who made in game adjustments is a big loss. The new center will have to get better calling OL plays. As the season progresses, they will get better. They better get there soon, or it will be a long lost season.

Blake Cashman and Jacob Huff graduating plus Kamal sitting out with a suspension.

Last edited:

I’ve honestly never seen so much overreaction as I’ve seen on Gopherhole on a daily, monthly, and yearly basis. All it took was to beat Wisconsin and GT for some to start talking about 9-10 wins...even more in some cases (Well, they still could win that many, I suppose). This season, they returned most of the 2018 production, are 1-0, and sleep walked their way through a NC game against an inferior opponent (this happens a lot with good teams, who go on to have great seasons), and half of Gopherhole is about to jump off a bridge. It’s not healthy.

They could very well still win 9 games this season with how the schedule is shaping up. I don't think that's off the table.

This is the most talented Gopher team that many Gopher fans have ever seen. Watching them struggle against SDSU was disappointing.

Fair enough, but 7th in the West?! That seems a bit prejudiced.

They could very well still win 9 games this season with how the schedule is shaping up. I don't think that's off the table.

This is the most talented Gopher team that many Gopher fans have ever seen. Watching them struggle against SDSU was disappointing.

I agree they could still win 9 games. As far as most talented I have seen, well, I've only been a dedicated watcher since the 2013 season. I don't know. On paper, it seemed that way - at least on offense but the offense underachieved against SDSU. I would say that the best of the Kill/Claeys teams certainly seemed better on defense than what we saw against SDSU.

I would say that nothing is off the table at this point, aside from a winless season. I don't think the first game gave us much insight, and, depending on their quarterback, this might be the best team SDSU has ever had. Yes, they're an FCS squad, but good FBS teams have even LOST to FCS teams in the past.

Known dink. He's often seen dining at Taco Bell in a suit and tie...And eating his burritos with a knife and fork!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The article appears to be published on Aug 30. So in fact, at the time he would’ve only seen the Minn game. Pretty lame

What a dumba$$. He does a season preview after the first game of the season. Lmao. That’s quality journalism right there.

I keep hearing this, but am yet to see any evidence of any poster (much less half of GH) saying any more than we played like crap and if we don’t play a lot better we will lose games we shouldn’t. I haven’t seen anyone say we suck, say we won’t make a bowl, say we will be lucky to beat Rutgers, or any other “bridge jumping” statements. Maybe you could share an example?

I've said that if we don't play better at Fresno than we did in week 1 we'll lose that game but I'm in no danger of jumping off a bridge on the season.

Pretending that "half the posters" are jumping off the bus or saying the Gophers suck is a way to try to elevate oneself as a better fan and more levelheaded. It is easier to setup a strawman or boogeyman and compare yourself too than actually address what is being said. It happens on here quite a bit.

Pretending that "half the posters" are jumping off the bus or saying the Gophers suck is a way to try to elevate oneself as a better fan and more levelheaded. It is easier to setup a strawman or boogeyman and compare yourself too than actually address what is being said. It happens on here quite a bit.

For the record the only true measuring stick of better fan is Gopher Score.

/s

This is such a dumb take.

IMG_4556.jpg

Top Bottom