Golden Gophers Open @ -3.5 Vs. Fresno St.

There's a lot to respond to here...

RE: Fresno State
Yes, USC is very talented, but they are very, very poorly coached.
If you watched them versus Fresno State, then you would probably understand that the Gophers would likely be favored against USC.
Fresno State didn't look terribly strong in that game, and their QB made some boneheaded decisions.

RE: SDSU

SDSU is a top five team in the FCS. They regularly win 10 games per season.
In 2016 they managed to put up 41 points against TCU.
In 2015 they beat Kansas.
In 2014 they lost to Mizzou 18-38.
In 2014 the Gophers lost to Mizzou 17-33.

This team has hung in with, and beat, FBS opponents before
These games are their Superbowls.

Was the Gopher's performance disappointing? Yes.
Does it drastically alter my perception of the Gopher's potential this year? No.

I watched both games and the talent level isn’t comparable. Get real. The coaching on the other hand..

SDSU has beat one FBS team, a historically bad 0-12 Kansas. Besides, this is a different SDSU team. If, at the end of the year SDSU has done well with their new players then we’ll revisit the topic.

Welp, sorry Spoof, Gophs are going to win in Fresno. Will be a hard fought, and close game. You'll have opportunities to troll folks about how we didn't play well enough.

Even though you were RememberMurray's vice president of marketing this summer for the "9+ now or never!"TM crew.

So we’re going to win no questions asked at Fresno but your still on the 5 wins is ok bandwagon?

Spoofing has been calling for 9 wins. You’re fine with 5.

Who wants the Gophers to lose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we’re going to win no questions asked at Fresno but your still on the 5 wins is ok bandwagon?

Spoofing has been calling for 9 wins. You’re fine with 5.

Who wants the Gophers to lose?

Does having lower or higher expectations = wanting a team to lose?

I’d say USC has definitely underperformed expectations given their recruiting but helmet schools can never be considered an easy out even when they’re down. They’ll be back soon enough once the coaching sorts itself out.

SDSU was probably at their peak last season with a really good senior QB. I guess if they run the table in the playoff, defeat NDSU then we can feel a little better about the near miss. A little.

I feel fine about the win, I don't care if SDSU gets blown out in every game they play for the rest of the season. At the end of the season we aren't going to look back and lament the narrow margin of victory in game 1.

There's a lot to respond to here...

RE: Fresno State
Yes, USC is very talented, but they are very, very poorly coached.
If you watched them versus Fresno State, then you would probably understand that the Gophers would likely be favored against USC.
Fresno State didn't look terribly strong in that game, and their QB made some boneheaded decisions.

RE: SDSU

SDSU is a top five team in the FCS. They regularly win 10 games per season.
In 2016 they managed to put up 41 points against TCU.
In 2015 they beat Kansas.
In 2014 they lost to Mizzou 18-38.
In 2014 the Gophers lost to Mizzou 17-33.

This team has hung in with, and beat, FBS opponents before
These games are their Superbowls.

Was the Gopher's performance disappointing? Yes.
Does it drastically alter my perception of the Gopher's potential this year? No.

Re: SDSU

In 2014 the lost to Mizzou at the beginning of the season. We lost to mizzou at the end of the season. A lot happened in between those two games. College football is not transitive.

In 2015, Kansas was a bad FCS team.

2016, that was impressive for the first game of the season. TCU also put up 600 years of offense in that game, 200 more than SDSU and score 59 points, so yeah, they did some good things but TCU struggled defensively but not offensively. Also, TCU finished the season 6-7, so, there is that.

Oh and that was 3 years ago, so, not sure what bringing it now does for us.

RE: Fresno State.

They’re UCF without going undefeated. Record looks better than it was. SOS if 105 last season. Just saying.

Re: USC. Agree. Helton doesn’t survive this season.

Some of the other B1G lines:

Nebraska -4 on the road at Colorado; it opened Nebraska -7.5

Ohio State -16.5, hosting Cincinnati

Syracuse -2.5 at Maryland

Iowa -20.5 hosting Rutgers

Purdue -8 hosting Vanderbilt; it opened Purdue -9.5

Illinois -20 at Connecticut

I know nothing about Connecticut football but -20 vs Illinois? Boy they must suck hard

We've now seen the team in live play against a hostile foe. The coaches have plenty to work off now. They know where the weak spots TRULY are....and hopefully with nine days to prepare....will be able to address those issues. I think that game was a major wake up call. Both sides of the line are now on notice.

I'd be surprised if we do not see a far more physical and engaged line on both offense and defense this upcoming Saturday evening.

Does having lower or higher expectations = wanting a team to lose?

I would argue no. I don’t think you do. I know Spoofin does not, but it seems your approach is because Spoofin expects 9 wins he wants them to lose.

Ridiculous. But then again, he’s been on this site since before it was this site, what does he (or I) know other than we should be ridiculed for not believing that PJ Fleck is the bestestist coach ever AND only winning 5 games this year would prove it.

I know nothing about Connecticut football but -20 vs Illinois? Boy they must suck hard

You obviously haven’t looked at the team talent chart on 24/7 sports.

They’ve got a shot to win the Big Ten West, just like everyone else.

Gotta remember, we lost a heck of a center in Weyler last year. Olson’s 1st game at center correct? It’s an important position. Also, Donnell Greene was an excellent tackle.

I heard lots of raving about Weyler and his line calls. Let’s keep that in mind.

Just finished rewatching the game and I feel better than I did watching it live. South Dakota St. is a solid team that played very well. Well coached and obviously those guys had been looking to this game all off season. Some people on this board not giving them enough credit.

Just look what UNI did to Iowa St. they were a fumble recovery away from losing, and SDSU has been a better program the last few years.

Fleck’s teams have been resilient and mentally tough. Like he says, they respond. They finished.

Sagarin says 50th. We moved up 2 spots.

Just finished rewatching the game and I feel better than I did watching it live. South Dakota St. is a solid team that played very well. Well coached and obviously those guys had been looking to this game all off season. Some people on this board not giving them enough credit.

Just look what UNI did to Iowa St. they were a fumble recovery away from losing, <b>and SDSU has been a better program the last few years. </b>

Fleck’s teams have been resilient and mentally tough. Like he says, they respond. They finished.

Didn’t UNI beat SDSU last year by like 2 touchdowns?

Didn’t UNI beat SDSU last year by like 2 touchdowns?

How many TDs did Purdue beat Ohio State by last season?

2015 was the last season that UNI finished higher in the standings (and higher ranked) than SDSU.

Youngstown State with Bo Pelini is another tough program in that conference. But the last two seasons, NDSU has finished first, SDSU second, and UNI third. All three are very tough programs at the FCS level.

Good thing upsets never happen in college football.

Thanks for setting me straight JB. I can see now why my response was so out of line. Truth be told, I just want UNI to fail.

How many TDs did Purdue beat Ohio State by last season?

Doesn’t seem nearly as relevant to the statement, “SDSU has been better than UNI”, but clearly you think you are making a clever point. Please carry on.

Doesn’t seem nearly as relevant to the statement, “SDSU has been better than UNI”, but clearly you think you are making a clever point. Please carry on.

What makes you think my question to you had anything to do with SDSU or UNI? I only mentioned Purdue and OSU. You make a lot of assumptions.

Last edited:

What makes you think my question to you had anything to do with SDSU or UNI? I only mentioned Purdue and OSU. You make a lot of assumptions.

Is this some sort of bad joke?
I responded to a bolded sentence comparing SDSU and UNI with reference to a game played between SDSU and UNI. You then quote that post and now claim that had nothing to do with SDSU or UNI. Sure thing Captain.

Can all of you please stop fighting?

Is this some sort of bad joke?
I responded to a bolded sentence comparing SDSU and UNI with reference to a game played between SDSU and UNI. You then quote that post and now claim that had nothing to do with SDSU or UNI. Sure thing Captain.

I don’t know why you’re still rambling on about SDSU and UNI, but if you don’t know the answer to my original question, just say so. It’s OK.

Thanks for setting me straight JB. I can see now why my response was so out of line. Truth be told, I just want UNI to fail.

Truth be told SDSU was a lot better than UNI last year. I know you still want PJ to fail but we've covered that.

What do the 2018 teams have to with 2019? SDSU could be a championship caliber team or they could fall back into the pack without their outstanding QB. Time will tell but there are some odd arguments being made.

What do the 2018 teams have to with 2019? SDSU could be a championship caliber team or they could fall back into the pack without their outstanding QB. Time will tell but there are some odd arguments being made.

I don't know about other teams, but it is relevant for our Gophers. They have the most returning production in the B1G (and one of the highest rates of returning production in the country). So I'd say the performance of the 2018 Gophers team has a direct bearing on what our expectations are for 2019.

If you click the link, you'll see the Gophers rank 10th in the country in returning production. Fresno State is 129th (next to last).

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...9-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

Last edited:

Top Bottom