Pickle juice, is this the week we break it out?

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
I remember coach Mason had some Texas players that said drink pickle juice for the Baylor game in 90 degree heet. Will the training staff break out the pickle juice. Seemed to wotk, Gophers had very little cramping, problems dealing with heat and Baylor struggled with cramps.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I remember coach Mason had some Texas players that said drink pickle juice for the Baylor game in 90 degree heet. Will the training staff break out the pickle juice. Seemed to wotk, Gophers had very little cramping, problems dealing with heat and Baylor struggled with cramps.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
We have a nutritionist who handles this stuff. We don't rely on players from Texas for nutritional advice.

Salt tablets, and dirt to rub on the injuries is all that is needed.

Was visiting "home" in Atlanta in Fall 2002 when Gophers played Louisiana-Lafayette at their stadium. It was a night game so I thought I might find it on some AM station and sure enough did. Got to listen to the whole thing from the rental car's radio.

Gophers won handily but my recollection is that we had a lot of heat cramping across those on the field. Pickle juice was in vogue...and pretty sure was mentioned as part of the conditioning for the game...but still had issues.

No real point other than that was a game under Grinnin' Glen where the heat and humidity did get to us as I recall. Hoping this is not the case this coming Saturday.

This definitely seems to defeat the purpose of staying hydrated.

Electrolytes are basically salt-water solutions that help conduct the electrical signals that make muscles contract. The idea is that consuming them during high intensity workouts, and especially when you're sweating a bunch, helps to prevent cramping. Not sure if this is scientifically proven.

https://parade.com/409683/marilynvossavant/why-are-salt-tablets-okay-for-dehydration-but-salt-water-isnt/

It’s common knowledge that drinking salt water when you’re dehydrated is dangerous. Yet in the days before sports drinks, the first thing we got for dehydration during football practice was salt tablets with water. What’s the difference?

—E.S., Knoxville, Tenn.

The main difference is the amount of salt. When you’re dehydrated, you need water, all right, but you need electrolytes (the scientific term for various salts) to survive too. Seawater has way too much of these salts, which can cause you to become more dehydrated than if you hadn’t drunk anything at all. But if you’re both dehydrated and low on salts—which is common in extreme physical activity, especially when you’re sweating heavily—and you drink only fresh water (which has very little salt), you will develop an electrolyte imbalance. Electrolytes are necessary for basic cell functions, and symptoms range from mild to severe. You can die from a lack of these salts; hence the old-fashioned salt tablets to prevent this from happening. They’re not used much today because they typically provided only two of the necessary electrolytes (sodium and chloride), and they could easily provide too much of them if not enough water was drunk at the same time. For extreme exercisers, modern sports drinks do the job much more safely.

Water seems to work.

Obligatory

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3boy_tLWeqA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not even pickle juice can overcome the dehydration caused by flying to the West Coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obligatory

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3boy_tLWeqA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is such a classic scene!

That whole movie is classic. The hospital is called St. God's. :D

And depressing, and we get closer and closer to it being our reality.

My Dad used to drink pickle juice 40 years ago when it got hot while he was working construction. I always followed his lead when doing stuff in hot weather. I guess he was ahead of his time :clap:

Yep, time to get that Gedney sponsorship going, Gedney Pickle, the official pickle of the Minnesota Gophers.

Last edited:

I know some marathoners who start hydrating the week before the race. They take electrolyte drinks, salt tablets, or pickle juice. Then, for the type of physical intensity some football players will still develop cramps. The important thing is to try to mitigate it across the board.

I usually start hydrating about 2-3 hours before kickoff.

Projection for Saturday. Going to be hot.

Sunny
95°63°
0%
NW 14 mph 31% Humidity

Projection for Saturday. Going to be hot.

Sunny
95°63°
0%
NW 14 mph31% Humidity

I think it is going to be mid 80s with dew point in low 50s at kickoff. Sunset is ~7:30.
Not terrible.

Pre-hydrating is not a thing. It's junk science. Thirst tells you if you need water. It's a response developed over many millenia. Pre-drinking liquids does not prevent dehydration.

Sports drinks are also just as or less effective than water and food. Gatorade is a scam to get you to drink flavoried sugar water. Their drink "science" division is marketing propaganda used to increase sales and not overcome thirst.

Drink water. Eat some fruit and salty snacks. Problem solved.

Drinking water that’s acidic/purified is probably worse then drinking no water at all. In order for water to hydrate the human body you have to drink water at ph level of 7 and above.

That is such a classic scene!

OyWb9CO.gif

Ha ha the one week plan...another prescient clip

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ucKM36YtuXs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Obligatory

The team needs to drink Brawndo

Last edited:

Top Bottom