PJ Fleck Interview new - Sunday 9-1-19

I’m not sure Martin has such a resume on the field he would have been a difference maker. Maybe this is the year but mostly he’s looked good getting off the bus.

I’m not sure Martin has such a resume on the field he would have been a difference maker. Maybe this is the year but mostly he’s looked good getting off the bus.

Thursday night was one of those games where you were waiting for someone to make a big play on defense. Last couple of years, it would have been Cashman. that is one of the open questions about the defense - is anyone able to fill Cashman's role as a play-maker?

Hopefully Rossi was keeping things as vanilla as possible. To be generous, there is a lot of room for improvement. Fresno State will be very interesting.

Hahaha. Yeah I’m sure you’ve broken down a lot of game tape on us the past couple years.

Hahaha. Yeah I’m sure you’ve broken down a lot of game tape on us the past couple years.

Just stating he hasn’t been a stand out type of player (to me) thus far. Absolutely fair to say maybe I’ve been missing something and besides, sometimes guys come on as playmakers their Senior years.

Just stating he hasn’t been a stand out type of player (to me) thus far. Absolutely fair to say maybe I’ve been missing something and besides, sometimes guys come on as playmakers their Senior years.

I hope he comes on this year but I agree with you that while he is athletically gifted he hasn't mastered the linebacker position.

Thursday night was one of those games where you were waiting for someone to make a big play on defense. Last couple of years, it would have been Cashman. that is one of the open questions about the defense - is anyone able to fill Cashman's role as a play-maker?

Hopefully Rossi was keeping things as vanilla as possible. To be generous, there is a lot of room for improvement. Fresno State will be very interesting.

Hopefully it will be Winfield.

He’s the one who forced the bad throw in the pick 6. He got to the QB pretty fast from his safety position.

https://twitter.com/gopherfootball/status/1167492150235422720?s=21

There are other guys who can make plays. Obviously, Williamson did on that play. Durr made a few key plays too. All 11 players just need to do their jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't have to be a Coughlin/Cashman playmaker type with 10 sacks and 15 TFL's a year to be a difference maker. You just have to do your job, be responsible for your gap, take blockers on with your outside shoulder instead of inside etc. Plus he has over 100 tackles and 10 TFls the last two years.

I'd like to think that if Kamal were in the game instead of Rush at 3:37 of the video, the first play of the game where we gave up a 25 yard run, he would have taken the outside shoulder of the lineman and kept contain allowing for Howden to clean the play up. Instead he breaks contain, tries to make the big play and goes underneath the blocker, gets pancaked by the second guy and there is no one outside of him to hold the edge.

I'd like to think that Kamal at 39:28 would have been more patient and let the RB out of the backfield come to him instead of biting so hard on the run like Oliver did.

I'd like to think that Kamal at 28:30 would have lined up in his gap that the play came through all along instead of originally lining up on the WR and sprinting to where you are suppose to be.

I'd like to think that Kamal at 45:04 would have realized the TE was his guy to cover sooner instead of being too late.

Of course Kamal hasn't been a huge playmaker so far but its little things like the one's above where maybe a senior LB who has played in 37 career games and started 13 picks up on. Of course maybe he doesn't and we'll never know for sure I'd like to think that on at least some of those plays, Kamal doesn't make the same mistake as a guy who's getting his very first LB snaps in college.

Last edited:

I refuse to accept the Kamal excuse. We were poor against the run. Whenever that happens, play action is more effective. Kamal has just been ok. Barber didn’t do anything either. We did miss Blake obviously. D line got pushed around. That’s the number one problem. And we weren’t in good positions to make plays. Not worried yet.

I refuse to accept the Kamal excuse. We were poor against the run. Whenever that happens, play action is more effective. Kamal has just been ok. Barber didn’t do anything either. We did miss Blake obviously. D line got pushed around. That’s the number one problem. And we weren’t in good positions to make plays. Not worried yet.

I'm definitely not arguing that we shut them out if we would have had Kamal, I would just like to think that some of the little mistakes that the young LB's made wouldn't have happened if Kamal was in instead. But maybe not as Barber didn't really play with great gap integrity either.

I think one of the biggest things was that our DE's didn't get far enough upfield on the edge on the read option to the RB. Ottemewo, Mafe and Delatiboudere 4 or 5 times were out of position and didn't keep contain and resulted in 10 yard runs. Hopefully that's something Rossi emphasizes in practice because Fresno ran a few read option plays where the QB kept it and went around the edge.

Delatiboudere definitely got pushed around and Coughlin did on a few plays but I thought Renner and Dew-Treadway generally were able to hold their ground. Howden, while he played great against the run was slow to react in coverage 2-3 times on some big pass plays.

Well Spoofin, fortunately for us, we will have competitive game tape on all 11 remaining opponents.

Also in the future, we will be playing a senior LB who has played in 37 career games instead of two sophomore/RS freshman LB's playing in their very first non special team snaps of their college career that the opponent specifically tried to exploit. <b>I don't know if I would even expect Oliver and Sori-Marin to pick up guys in coverage on misdirection plays that they never once simulated in practice and had never once seen on film from that opponent.</b>

They only ran those two plays once each so we would have never had an opportunity to show we did change it up.

Well, I don’t remember even mentioning KM21 much less disagreeing that we will improve with him.

As for the bolded part.... I am going to give our coaching staff the benefit of the doubt that we likely have practiced misdirection plays and RBs coming out of the backfield - even if we didn’t have tape of SDSU running that exact play. The notion we didn’t is quite silly.

I'm definitely not arguing that we shut them out if we would have had Kamal, I would just like to think that some of the little mistakes that the young LB's made wouldn't have happened if Kamal was in instead. But maybe not as Barber didn't really play with great gap integrity either.

I think one of the biggest things was that our DE's didn't get far enough upfield on the edge on the read option to the RB. Ottemewo, Mafe and Delatiboudere 4 or 5 times were out of position and didn't keep contain and resulted in 10 yard runs. Hopefully that's something Rossi emphasizes in practice because Fresno ran a few read option plays where the QB kept it and went around the edge.

Delatiboudere definitely got pushed around and Coughlin did on a few plays but I thought Renner and Dew-Treadway generally were able to hold their ground. Howden, while he played great against the run was slow to react in coverage 2-3 times on some big pass plays.

Definitely agree with you on our DEs. Overall, we just looked lost and out of position on offense and defense. So many times our OL were standing and looking for someone to block. Receivers blocked like crap. SDSU was basically unblockable. Should have lost so let’s hope that was the wake up call we needed.

We need a far better performance in game 2 if we’re going to be 3-0 heading into conference play.

Again, without breaking down anything with excruciating detail (like Rockford) our most experienced LBs have a history the last few years of being out of position - at times- (IMO/observation) leading to opponent big plays so while I agree he’s probably better than the less experienced guys everyone needs to get on the right page to beat more skilled teams (or any remaining team). LB was a bit of a question mark this year and remains so right now.

We need a far better performance in game 2 if we’re going to be 3-0 heading into conference play.

Back up from the ledge, please.

You don't have to be a Coughlin/Cashman playmaker type with 10 sacks and 15 TFL's a year to be a difference maker. You just have to do your job, be responsible for your gap, take blockers on with your outside shoulder instead of inside etc. Plus he has over 100 tackles and 10 TFls the last two years.

I'd like to think that if Kamal were in the game instead of Rush at 3:37 of the video, the first play of the game where we gave up a 25 yard run, he would have taken the outside shoulder of the lineman and kept contain allowing for Howden to clean the play up. Instead he breaks contain, tries to make the big play and goes underneath the blocker, gets pancaked by the second guy and there is no one outside of him to hold the edge.

I'd like to think that Kamal at 39:28 would have been more patient and let the RB out of the backfield come to him instead of biting so hard on the run like Oliver did.

I'd like to think that Kamal at 28:30 would have lined up in his gap that the play came through all along instead of originally lining up on the WR and sprinting to where you are suppose to be.

I'd like to think that Kamal at 45:04 would have realized the TE was his guy to cover sooner instead of being too late.

Of course Kamal hasn't been a huge playmaker so far but its little things like the one's above where maybe a senior LB who has played in 37 career games and started 13 picks up on. Of course maybe he doesn't and we'll never know for sure I'd like to think that on at least some of those plays, Kamal doesn't make the same mistake as a guy who's getting his very first LB snaps in college.

Thank you for posting the video of the game! Was working Thursday night so I missed it. Tried to access it on BIG 10 to go or whatever it is and it kept freezing constantly. Looked it up on youtube a couple of days ago and it wasn't on yet. I kind of gave up. Much appreciated, my friend.

Much more relaxing to know that we had won while viewing this. Also agree with Die Hard Gopher with his comments. I really do believe that they will do better this weekend.

It makes me nervous PJ keeps saying they did so many things we didn’t anticipate. 1. I’d like to think you have a plan for most any scheme and have practiced against it...at least introduced it. And 2. The guy has been there 33 years or something? He just tossed all his stuff out and he’s starting over? 3. You knew who their QB was going to be and what his abilities were. Why the surprises to you as coach?
Just say we didn’t play well. I have confidence you’ll fix that. If you tell me Fresno St did some stuff we hadn’t seen before and sorry....I’m going to be watching those Vegas first Coach to go odds closer because that says you are in over your head.

This is the type of stuff that makes this site worthwhile. Pure comedy.

Having Kamal Martin this week will certainly clean up some of (not all) their defensive issues.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8R-v-Uw_IxI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the type of stuff that makes this site worthwhile. Pure comedy.

You had me worried. You’re late. We need fans like you too! Thank you! I’ll be here all year just for your entertainment. Go Gophers!

PS Family still doin’ well? Or maybe you guys don’t talk as much anymore?

Everyone talks about offense playing vanilla, I feel defense just sat in their base packaged and just waited. Would like to see them be more aggressive.

But, onto Fresno.

Having Kamal Martin this week will certainly clean up some of (not all) their defensive issues.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8R-v-Uw_IxI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did we hear definitely he will be back?

Love this quote from PJ
PJ: as a team, we all have to play better. we're not going to be stat people. we need to be better on 3rd down. we were close to 50%

Not going to be stat people and here is the stat we need to improve.

Did we hear definitely he will be back?

Love this quote from PJ

Not going to be stat people and here is the stat we need to improve.

I heard that comment as meaning that they were not going to focus on individual stats or individual players. he wants the focus on the team. so, in that sense, 3rd-down conversions is a team stat. as opposed to saying this player ran for X # of yards.

Everyone talks about offense playing vanilla, I feel defense just sat in their base packaged and just waited. Would like to see them be more aggressive.

But, onto Fresno.

We certainly opened up the playbook for our 2 point conversion play.

Top Bottom