Up front: The OL vs. SDSU

rockford

Reaction score
Well, that was an underwhelming opener.

I watched on TV, and there was a lot of unrelated conversation going on in the room around me, so I was unable to get too locked in to the game. Will be going through the tape over the next few days.

I'm doing things a bit differently this year. First of all, I'm doing the entire OL, rather than just select players. Second, the scoring system has changed. Last year, it was binary: players got 1 point for succeeding, 0 for not succeeding. I'm trying for a bit more nuance this year, and will be scoring each lineman on a scale from 0-3 each play.

Through the first quarter:

Schlueter: 86.1% run, 76.2% pass
Andries: 94.4% run, 85.7% pass
Olson: 88.9% run, 100% pass
Dunlap: 97.2% run, 90.5% pass
Faalele: 88.9% run, 90.5% pass

Fairly solid start from our guys, although Schlueter looked a little shaky in pass protection.

A few notes:

• I've raved about TE Jake Paulson's blocking in the past. As has been noted in some other discussions, he made a rather egregious whiff against SDSU. OTOH, if you want to see something fun, go to the tape and watch the play that starts with 13:11 left in the first quarter. Paulson is at the bottom of the screen, and he goes out and just absolutely freakin' DESTROYS LB Longhair. Hits him, drives him back a few yards, puts him on his back and lands on top him with full force. Brings a tear to my eye just thinkin' about it. Unfortunately, the rest of the play did not unfold so well. QB Morgan appeared to make a bad read. We had SDSU outnumbered 5 to 3 at the point of attack on the right side, even though Faalele did not get a good block. Instead of handing off the ball to Mo going right, Morgan kept it and went left, right into two defenders for no gain. The drive ended one play later.

• All in all, I thought it was a pretty solid game from Morgan, other than making a poor decision on the interception and on perhaps one other throw. He was 13-for-18 with receivers dropping one or two. One of those incompletions came during the last drive of the first quarter. The left side allowed pressure, and on the right TE Ko Kieft allowed a twisting DL to get around him and to the QB. Morgan was hit by two guys as he released the ball, which sailed high to an open Tyler Johnson. It went off his fingertips.

Watching live, my impression is that the OL's performance trended downward throughout the game. Will be interesting to see if that's how it scores, and where the breakdowns came.

JTG

I watched on TV, and there was a lot of unrelated conversation going on in the room around me, so I was unable to get too locked in to the game. Will be going through the tape over the next few days.

I'm doing things a bit differently this year. First of all, I'm doing the entire OL, rather than just select players. Second, the scoring system has changed. Last year, it was binary: players got 1 point for succeeding, 0 for not succeeding. I'm trying for a bit more nuance this year, and will be scoring each lineman on a scale from 0-3 each play.

Fairly solid start from our guys, although Schlueter looked a little shaky in pass protection.

A few notes:

• I've raved about TE Jake Paulson's blocking in the past. As has been noted in some other discussions, he made a rather egregious whiff against SDSU. OTOH, if you want to see something fun, go to the tape and watch the play that starts with 13:11 left in the first quarter. Paulson is at the bottom of the screen, and he goes out and just absolutely freakin' DESTROYS LB Longhair. Hits him, drives him back a few yards, puts him on his back and lands on top him with full force. Brings a tear to my eye just thinkin' about it. Unfortunately, the rest of the play did not unfold so well. QB Morgan appeared to make a bad read. We had SDSU outnumbered 5 to 3 at the point of attack on the right side, even though Faalele did not get a good block. Instead of handing off the ball to Mo going right, Morgan kept it and went left, right into two defenders for no gain. The drive ended one play later.

• All in all, I thought it was a pretty solid game from Morgan, other than making a poor decision on the interception and on perhaps one other throw. He was 13-for-18 with receivers dropping one or two. One of those incompletions came during the last drive of the first quarter. The left side allowed pressure, and on the right TE Ko Kieft allowed a twisting DL to get around him and to the QB. Morgan was hit by two guys as he released the ball, which sailed high to an open Tyler Johnson. It went off his fingertips.

Watching live, my impression is that the OL's performance trended downward throughout the game. Will be interesting to see if that's how it scores, and where the breakdowns came.

JTG

That's the vibe I got too, seemed that the pass protection was pretty good to start the game but got worse as the game wore on.

One thing I'll give SDSU credit for is their DC really used the Spine exp to their advantage. I think our guys got confused by all the stunts they were able to run and not all of the teams we play will have the type of experience to do all that stuff. Where I am concerned there is our failure to adjust. Rabbits had some good linebackers too

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nothing the Schlueter, but is he the best option? Is Jason Dickson playing at all?

I am flabbergasted that a guy who couldn't block NMSU at RT couldn't block SDSU at LT. He had better not start VS FSU. Jason Dickson or bust.

Schlueter really dominated his man on the last drive. It was the best I've seen him block. On the last 4 or 5 runs, Rodney and Mo ran right behind him. On the third or 4th last play, he drove his man 7 yards back and pancacked him and on the TD that Mo had, Schlueter and Blaise opened up a really nice hole.

He did have some bad plays before but really played well at the end. I'm actually more concerned about Dunlap as of now.

Schlueter really dominated his man on the last drive. It was the best I've seen him block. On the last 4 or 5 runs, Rodney and Mo ran right behind him. On the third or 4th last play, he drove his man 7 yards back and pancacked him and on the TD that Mo had, Schlueter and Blaise opened up a really nice hole.

He did have some bad plays before but really played well at the end. I'm actually more concerned about Dunlap as of now.

That somewhat jibes with my real-time impression of both Schlueter and Dunlap. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the game looks under the microscope.

JTG

I keep forgetting these kids are 18-19 year-old with developing minds and bodies. If there is a choice of red shirting all of them, it will be much better.

However, they don't have very any choice but to burn some red shirts. The larder is not exactly full. When these guys mature in the next couple of years, the guys behind them will benefit.

If they can, they should have three OLs in every recruiting class.

Here is the OL count in 2019 for each Big Ten Team:
MN 16
IA 22
WI 16
NW 16
IL 16
PU 18
NE 26
-------
OSU 21
MI 23
MSU 16
PSU 20
MD 17
IND 18
RUT 21

We have a full week to work on the Oline and fix some of the mistakes. The D line got manhandled on many plays and that concerns me far more as it wasn't a mistake, it was a whooping on too many plays.

I keep forgetting these kids are 18-19 year-old with developing minds and bodies. If there is a choice of red shirting all of them, it will be much better.

However, they don't have very any choice but to burn some red shirts. The larder is not exactly full. When these guys mature in the next couple of years, the guys behind them will benefit.

If they can, they should have three OLs in every recruiting class.

Here is the OL count in 2019 for each Big Ten Team:
MN 16
IA 22
WI 16
NW 16
IL 16
PU 18
NE 26
-------
OSU 21
MI 23
MSU 16
PSU 20
MD 17
IND 18
RUT 21

About 3 years back I suggested this in a thread, got crucified, dead and left to rot. Yes, at least 3 linemen every year.

guard

I am flabbergasted that a guy who couldn't block NMSU at RT couldn't block SDSU at LT. He had better not start VS FSU. Jason Dickson or bust.

Schlueter was guard and Andries tackle on last drive at least on 2-point conversion.

Ya, I saw much the same. Were Andries and big Dan a better tandem last year? Do we need to make that adjustment or is it better the way it is?

Ya, I saw much the same. Were Andries and big Dan a better tandem last year? Do we need to make that adjustment or is it better the way it is?

O-lines always take a few games to gel and that is true of at all levels of football. Keep it the way they've been practicing all camp.

A few notes:

JTG

I've not read more than one sentence and I've encountered the necessity of logging in to thank you. Rockford, you are what this forum is all about. Thanks for this.

Will read now and log back in to rip you when I disagree!

Offensive line should be :
Dickson _Andries_Olson _Dunlap _Fa'alele
Or
Andries_Michael-Schmitz_Olson_Dunlap_Fa'alele

I'm still nervous about Morgon. I felt like SDSU only had to watch his head the entire game as far as the pass game was concerned. They left lots of 1 on 1s that even when Morgan glanced at .. he didn't see. Lots of pressure but I'm concerned teams can just sit on his first look WR and that makes it too easy for the Defense.

@fan of Ray Williams
@60's guy
@touchdownvikings

Thanks, folks, for the kind words. It's always easier to do the work if you know someone appreciates it. Thanks for stopping in.

Second quarter seemed to be the high tide for the OL. After the workmanlike 18-play drive capped off by the TD run, it seemed like the intensity level dropped considerably.

For the quarter:
Schlueter: 97% run, 85.7% pass
Andries: 100% run, 81% pass
Olson: 87.9% run, 95.2% pass
Dunlap: 84.8% run, 81% pass
Faalele: 90.9% run, 71.4% pass

You can see things starting to fray a bit, especially on the right side.

A few notes:

• I saw three separate occasions where Olson was knocked off his block by one of his own linemates. Last year, the teamwork in the middle between C Weyler and Gs Olson and Andries was exemplary. As far as this first half was concerned ... not so much.

• Nice hustle by RB Rodney Smith to get outside and get a piece of a block on Bateman's key catch, cut and run to set up first and goal.

• On the ensuing TD, Mo had the key block on Longhair, which allowed the score. Not a pretty block, but effective.

• Our second possession came to an end thusly: 3rd and 12. SDSU runs a game against the right side of our line. The DT shoots the G-T gap, and the DE hesitates and then follows on his heels. Dunlap whiffed and fell over backwards. Faalele whiffed as well. Morgan is flushed from the pocket, scrambles outside and throws to Autman-Bell, who makes a damn nice catch on the sideline ... five yards short of the first down.

• On our second TD, SDSU was again attempting to pick on our right side. The 'Rabbits overloaded it, four men to our three linemen (including the center). Our OL locked up, leaving Mo to pick up a blitzing Longhair. Mo got the job done and Bateman reeled in the one-hander for the TD.

That Mo. I like him. A lot.

For the half:

Schlueter: 91.3% rushing, 81% passing
Andries: 97.1% rushing, 83.3% passing
Olson: 88.4% rushing, 97.6% passing
Dunlap: 91.3% rushing, 85.7% passing
Faalele: 89.9% rushing, 81% passing

It's early using this new scoring system, but I think the minimal acceptable score for a starter will still end up being around 85%. IOW, our pass blocking was pretty putrid, except for Olson, who wasn't tested much in that regard.

Stay tuned.

JTG

As far as picking up the defensive stunts go, how much of that is on the center to recognize and call it out pre snap. Just wondering how much the team misses Weyler vs bad execution.
Thanks JTG

Thank you Rockford!!

Sorry, as a lurker who reads every post here, I should be more appreciative of posters who take so much time to analyze the game. Thank you for the detailed analysis!!

As far as picking up the defensive stunts go, how much of that is on the center to recognize and call it out pre snap. Just wondering how much the team misses Weyler vs bad execution.
Thanks JTG

It seems to me the breakdown is post-snap. It's more a matter of not executing properly, rather than going the wrong way. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got ... at least through the first half.

@apana
Your welcome, and don't be afraid to pipe up. :D

JTG

Thanks Rockford. This is really good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting reading. It seems like through the first half the run blocking graded out better in your system that it did to my eye test. Was the lack of push from the oline, and the corresponding lack of holes for the rb's, more of a play calling thing? Stacked boxes not being adjusted to? Too much inside zone making the run game too predictable? Your guy Paulson (not that he's not my guy, just you claimed him) had a really bad whiff in the backfield (though I ma not sure you are there in your review yet) where he put his head down which lead to a negative play. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that one. Thanks for posting this. I think you would really enjoy the Gopher Gridiron Podcasts if/when they get former Gopher OL Derek Burns back on the show. He does a great job of breaking down the line play and I learn a lot from him about my weakest area of understanding on the football field.

Thanks Rockford. Love reading this breakdown.
Your % in the run game seem high as we didn't run the ball very well for the entire game.
I would think with those % we would have had at least 1 run of more than 10 yards in the first half.

Interested to see what your second half breakdown % turn out to be.
Really thought the OL struggled with all that SDSU was doing, especially the side with Dunlop and Faalele.
Your number kind of show that.

Thanks, will be interesting see how OL (hopefully) progresses over season

Interesting reading. It seems like through the first half the run blocking graded out better in your system that it did to my eye test. Was the lack of push from the oline, and the corresponding lack of holes for the rb's, more of a play calling thing? Stacked boxes not being adjusted to? Too much inside zone making the run game too predictable? Your guy Paulson (not that he's not my guy, just you claimed him) had a really bad whiff in the backfield (though I ma not sure you are there in your review yet) where he put his head down which lead to a negative play. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that one. Thanks for posting this. I think you would really enjoy the Gopher Gridiron Podcasts if/when they get former Gopher OL Derek Burns back on the show. He does a great job of breaking down the line play and I learn a lot from him about my weakest area of understanding on the football field.

I'm a bit surprised myself that the run grade is this high at the half. We had 74 yards on 23 carries, about 3.2 yards per, which doesn't get the job done. Yet I graded the OL as a group at 91.6%, which is solid.

I watch every play at least 5-6 times, but I'm mostly looking at each individual lineman in turn. Most of the time, I focus on individual performances, rather than trying to analyze where a play broke down. But while the OL certainly didn't impress, it also didn't seem that they were horribly inept in the run game.

During the half, there were not a whole lot of examples of guys just completely blowing their assignment on runs. Here's the breakdown:
Schlueter -- 1
Olson -- 2
Dunlap -- 1
Faalele -- 1

I will say that there was a decided lack of movement up front. Our size advantage didn't translate into any blowouts. Them 'Rabbits stood strong.

Paulson's whiff came in the second quarter, and just as you said, he ducked his head, taking his eyes off the defender, who dodged around him unscathed. Technique is everything, and Paulson committed the deadly sin of taking his eyes off his target.

Thanks for the tip regarding the podcasts. I'll try to make time to check that out.

JTG

Not a lot to report from the third quarter, when we managed to run just nine plays from scrimmage.

But what we lacked in volume we made up for with inconsistency. :confused:

First possession, second down: Quick toss out to the WR, with Seth Green tasked with making an open-field block on the DB. Green gets in position ... then just simply fails to move his feet, misses the block and the play is snuffed. You don't expect an athlete like Green to forget to move.

Next play, third and long, we're passing. The 'Rabbits run twists on both sides of the line. Faalele and Dunlap handle it adequately, if not seamlessly. The other side of the ball is a different story. Schlueter opens wide and appears to be in decent position. Andries locks up with the DT. The DE then loops inside Andries, and Schlueter is left to watch as the guys sacks Morgan for an 11-yard loss. The blame could probably be divvied up between Schlueter and Andries, but I think most of the fault here lies with Schlueter. He made no contact with anyone on the play; even though Andries probably should have come off his block and protected inside, Schlueter provided no outside pressure on the guy Andries was locked up with.

After falling behind 21-20, we open the next possession with an incomplete long toss down the right sideline, which seemed like a questionable call to me at the time. Then Johnson dropped a pass, leaving us with third and long. The 'Rabbits run another twist against the left side of our line. Andries and Schlueter handle it well, but Andries isn't quite balanced and is forced back. On the other side, the DT loops around Dunlap and gets in the face of Morgan, who somehow manages to escape and hits Johnson for a first down.

A few plays later, we're faced with third-and-two. It's a run to the left. Dunlap fails to get position and is outmuscled by the DT, who works his way down the line and drops Mo for no gain. Schlueter and Olson were also substandard on the play, but the primary failure was Dunlap's.

After inexplicably wasting a timeout, we punt.

For the quarter:

Schlueter: 83.3% run, 66.7% pass
Andries: 100% run, 86.7% pass
Olson: 83.3% run, 93.3% pass
Dunlap: 58.3% run, 80% pass
Faalele: 91.7% run, 93.3% pass

Rough quarter for the two new starters on the OL.

More later.

JTG

Top Bottom