Down goes Purdue!

This was an ugly win. Serious concerns about the Dline, not as much with the online, SDSU has a decent front seven, couple of those guys will get camp invites at the very least in the NFL. But our Dline, if we're gonna play our DB ten yards off like that, you gotta out pressure on the he qb, Coughlin doesn't do much vs the run, great in passing downs. DT's need to be better

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You called the win a miracle let's not try to twist your own words into something else.

The turnover was definitely a gift, miracle, whatever you want to call it. Saved the game.

Up to that point couldn’t run, couldn’t stop the run, behind. Clock ticking. They’re moving the ball. We can’t. One timeout. You felt confident? Really?

Last edited:

If our win was a miracle what word describes ISU's win vs a FCS UNI?

I’m guessing CycloneHole has a bunch of posters inflating UNI (“Big 12 level team”) and reciting the “week 1 to week 2 improvement” cliche too. No talk about the Bible of recruiting rankings this week tho.
Real Fans’ only see rainbows and butterflies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The turnover was definitely a gift, miracle, whatever you want to call it. Saved the game.

Up to that point couldn’t run, couldn’t stop the run, behind. Clock ticking. They’re moving the ball. We can’t. One timeout. You felt confident? Really?

What does that me being confident at that point in the game have to do with you calling the win a miracle?

They've only been eligible to play P5 teams since 2008. They started the move up to DI-AA in 2004. So of course you would say something ridiculous like "since 1990".

Yes, correct, they've played and been competitive in several P5 games. Including putting 41 points up on TCU in 2016, and then almost beating us on Thursday.

I said since ‘90 because that’s how far back I looked- had no idea when they became eligible to play upper level schools- I did state since 2008 so fail to see how the way I stated it was ridiculous.

As for them being big10 level the measuring stick is do they win with any regularity and the answer is a resounding no. As you watch the games today it becomes apparent that many FCS schools can play with their FBS counterparts when they get up for a single such game each year after having schemed for it for months, and on occasion win a game- this should not be confused with playing on their level. If we played a game against SDSU in the middle of the season after SDSU had faced several other Big 10 games I feel the result would be much more one-sided. I don’t think this is a difficult thing to understand.

What does that me being confident at that point in the game have to do with you calling the win a miracle?

Apparently the game was going really well and well in hand. We didn’t need any divine intervention.

Apparently the game was going really well and well in hand. We didn’t need any divine intervention.

When did I say that the game was going really well and in hand? There was 8 minutes left in the game and it was 2 and 9. The Gophers didn't need the fumble to happen to win the game. There are a lot of other scenarios where they could have won because 8 minutes is a long time in a football game.

When did I say that the game was going really well and in hand? There was 8 minutes left in the game and it was 2 and 9. The Gophers didn't need the fumble to happen to win the game. There are a lot of other scenarios where they could have won because 8 minutes is a long time in a football game.

Theoretically, yes. Did those feel likely at the time?

FWIW, Sagarin's rankings lump FBS and FCS teams together. For comparison purposes, here's some rankings of teams mentioned in the thread:

Iowa St. 29
NDSU 35
Gophers 53
Purdue 54
Fresno St. 57
So.Dak.St. 68
UNI 94
Nevada 99

NDSU is the first FCS team ranked (unsurprisingly), but So. Dak. St. is the 2nd FCS team in the rankings at 68. James Madison is 3rd at 90, Illinois St. is 4th at 93, UNI is 5th at 94.

FWIW, Sagarin's rankings lump FBS and FCS teams together. For comparison purposes, here's some rankings of teams mentioned in the thread:

Iowa St. 29
NDSU 35
Gophers 53
Purdue 54
Fresno St. 57
So.Dak.St. 68
UNI 94
Nevada 99

NDSU is the first FCS team ranked (unsurprisingly), but So. Dak. St. is the 2nd FCS team in the rankings at 68. James Madison is 3rd at 90, Illinois St. is 4th at 93, UNI is 5th at 94.

Thanks for posting this.

It gives some perspective even though we all know it will change some. Whatever SDSU gets ranked at after this week will probably be their low water mark on the season.

I’m not sure of the validity of ranking groups of teams vs each other when there is so little interleague play. There aren’t even enough data points in Power 5 or FBS to draw highly confident predictions so I’m not sure why he includes FCS. From a story on Sagarin:

For all of the advances, however, Sagarin and Harrell still keep things pretty basic. The look of the websites hasn’t changed much, if at all, since their inception, and Sagarin still does all of his work off of a DOS prompt on his home computer — using a formula that he hasn’t changed all that much since the 1970s.

“You could put all the mathematical whistles and bells in, and in terms of predictive accuracy for future games, you’re just getting marginal improvement,” Sagarin said. “So it’s the law of diminishing returns.

“Basically, who did you play, where did you play and what was the result, including the score.”

Sagarin’s ratings have held up well over time — but he cautions that no system is going to accurately predict the winner every time out.

“Real life is under no obligation to conform to mathematical models made by human beings,” he said. “Reality simply happens.”

Since the final score and margin of victory are such a key factor in Sagarin’s ratings, accuracy is key — one that’s not always guaranteed.

Top five FCS teams vs. FBS teams:

Minn. (Sagarin 53) 28
So.Dak.St. (Sag. 68) 21

W. Vir. (Sag. 36) 20
Jam. Mad. (Sag. 90) 13

No. Ill (Sag. 85) 24
Ill. St. (Sag. 93) 10

Iowa St. (Sag. 29) 29
UNI (Sag. 94) 26 (3 OTs)

Also--

Wash. (Sag. 8) 47
E. Wash. (Sag. 104) 14

Kansas (Sag. 91) 24
Ind. St. (Sag. 118) 17

Cal (Sag. 67) 27
UC Davis (Sag. 119) 13

Ark. (Sag. 72) 20
Port. St. (Sag. 181) 13

Apart from the Washington blow out, the FCS held teams held their own on the road.

Top five FCS teams vs. FBS teams:

Minn. (Sagarin 53) 28
So.Dak.St. (Sag. 68) 21

W. Vir. (Sag. 36) 20
Jam. Mad. (Sag. 90) 13

No. Ill (Sag. 85) 24
Ill. St. (Sag. 93) 10

Iowa St. (Sag. 29) 29
UNI (Sag. 94) 26 (3 OTs)

Also--

Wash. (Sag. 8) 47
E. Wash. (Sag. 104) 14

Kansas (Sag. 91) 24
Ind. St. (Sag. 118) 17

Cal (Sag. 67) 27
UC Davis (Sag. 119) 13

Ark. (Sag. 72) 20
Port. St. (Sag. 181) 13

Apart from the Washington blow out, the FCS held teams held their own on the road.

West Virginia - 36?
Isn’t it universally believed they will struggle this year? I get this is based mostly on last year, but that # really sticks out.

West Virginia - 36?
Isn’t it universally believed they will struggle this year? I get this is based mostly on last year, but that # really sticks out.

Yeah, Bill Connelly has WVU at 45, and the Gophers at 30. Though some teams (Tennessee) seem to be overrated in recent years regardless of methodology.

Brohm essentially gave the kid a practice kick, plus the team was rushing out there to kick it so it gave him time to gather himself. Calling the first timeout seemed somewhat desperate and then not calling a 2nd TO seemed stupid. Like he didn’t have a feel for what was going on.

That whole 4th qtr was such an epic collapse. Purdue looked so good the 1st half. They were doing it with ease.
No HOW!

I had a chance to chat with Jan Stenerud (Packer's kicker) once and asked him about the other team calling timeouts before he tried a kick, and he said he really like it when they did. He compared it to me having to make a big putt on a green -- would I rather have time to line it up and make sure everything is set, or have a 25 yard sprint to get to the green and then about 10 seconds to hit the ball. His view, calling a time out to "freeze the kicker" helps the kicker out.

I had a chance to chat with Jan Stenerud (Packer's kicker) once and asked him about the other team calling timeouts before he tried a kick, and he said he really like it when they did. He compared it to me having to make a big putt on a green -- would I rather have time to line it up and make sure everything is set, or have a 25 yard sprint to get to the green and then about 10 seconds to hit the ball. His view, calling a time out to "freeze the kicker" helps the kicker out.
First of all, you mean former Vikings kicker Jan Stenerud. We don't mention the NFL team to the east.

But anyway... I think it probably depends on the kicker. Some are better with time and some are better not thinking about it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

There must be some evidence behind it or coaches wouldn’t do it, controlling for distance, quarter, walk off situation, weather, indoors/outdoors. Surely somebody has looked at this.

You realize he just plays that up to get at gopher fans, right? It's all an act, just like Reusse.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Okay, thanks. I usually turn the channel when he's about 8 minutes into one of his diatribes that could be conveyed in about 20 seconds and then usually forget to turn back. I am not a big listener.

Top Bottom