Down goes Purdue!

Coming up on 11 years registered. 3622 posts.

And I would bet not a single one of them, nary a one, have expressed a human thought with a complexity over that of a five year old.

That is depressing, and incredible.

Because because because they don't have a single win in the past year against a Big Ten level opponent.

And??

Isn't Minnesota a Big Ten level opponent? I feel like they would've won the game 21-14 if not for the pick six and fumble.

Nah. Can't be Big Ten level.

Just flapping your gums to air them out.

Let me know if you have an actual football argument.

How about the simple fact that since 1990 they’ve played 10 games (all after 2008) against upper level schools and gone 1-9, with their sole victory being against one of the worst teams of all time, the 2015 0-12 Kansas squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More often than not, it will lower the excitement level of the team and program and deflate them if they start losing. I always want whichever team we play to lose the game before we play them.

Well, here's some empirical evidence from a small sample (last year's Big Ten season) to refute your theory:

Minnesota - 3 wins

1) Indiana - Indiana's prior game was a very close loss to ranked Penn State. Our prior game was a demoralizing blow out loss to 0-6 Nebraska. Doesn't support your theory.

2) Purdue - Purdue's prior game was a victory over Iowa. Our prior game was a blowout loss to 3-5 Illinois. Exact opposite of your theory.

3) Wisconsin - Wisconsin's prior game was a victory over Purdue. Our prior game was a loss to Northwestern. Exact opposite of your theory.

Minnesota Losses

Of our 6 Big Ten losses, 4 (Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and Maryland) of those losses were inflicted by teams that lost their prior game and 2 (Ohio State and Northwestern) were delivered by teams who won their prior game. Doesn't support your theory.

And??

Isn't Minnesota a Big Ten level opponent? I feel like they would've won the game 21-14 if not for the pick six and fumble.

Nah. Can't be Big Ten level.

Maybe we are more aligned than I first thought. If the standard for "Big Ten Level" is that they dont have to ever beat a quality opponent as long as they can claim that they could have if they were allowed to travel back in time and undo the plays that led to their defeat, then yeah, I agree they are Big Ten Level.

Coming up on 11 years registered. 3622 posts.

And I would bet not a single one of them, nary a one, have expressed a human thought with a complexity over that of a five year old.

That is depressing, and incredible.

Haha, you have 6,135 worthless posts so there's that D-bag.

How about the simple fact that since 1990 they’ve played 10 games (all after 2008) against upper level schools and gone 1-9, with their sole victory being against one of the worst teams of all time, the 2015 0-12 Kansas squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that is evidence that they usually aren't very competitive against FBS teams. However, I'm not sure it's particularly appropriate to judge the quality of a school's current team by the historical performance of its past teams that have little relationship to its current team. Based on the eye test, I'd say this SDSU team is capable of beating a fair number of lower level FBS teams.

Now, having said that, I don't believe this SDSU team would be competitive in the Big Ten and Gophers_4life should just shut up and stop digging himself into a bigger hole.

Fleck has never had a loss quite like this one at Minnesota. A complete collapse of a large lead against an inferior opponent. Purdue will be facing an uphill battle now to make a bowl game. These next two games for them at home vs Vandy and TCU will be huge for their season.

Well, that is evidence that they usually aren't very competitive against FBS teams. However, I'm not sure it's particularly appropriate to judge the quality of a school's current team by the historical performance of its past teams that have little relationship to its current team. Based on the eye test, I'd say this SDSU team is capable of beating a fair number of lower level FBS teams.

Now, having said that, I don't believe this SDSU team would be competitive in the Big Ten and Gophers_4life should just shut up and stop digging himself into a bigger hole.

This is better than actual historical data?

Agree g4l needs a smaller shovel. By continuing down his misguided road here, he's actually making more of an argument that Gophs are not B1G caliber team.

Fleck has never had a loss quite like this one at Minnesota. A complete collapse of a large lead against an inferior opponent. Purdue will be facing an uphill battle now to make a bowl game. These next two games for them at home vs Vandy and TCU will be huge for their season.

What about just losing badly to an inferior team by, say, 24 points?

Purdue lays an egg with fluky loss - terrible and Brohm sucks. Gophs with fluky/miracle win over a physically overmatched team - everything is fine because (historical example of team XYZ overcoming early struggles).

This is better than actual historical data?

Well, it can be. As I said, the fact that a school's prior teams have not done well against a particular level of opponents does not mean that a current team can't do better. As the investment commercials say "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

I don't know the long history of NDSU football but I suspect that there was a time when FBS opponents weren't as concerned with NDSU's appearance on their schedule as they are now. There's no reason why SDSU couldn't evolve into a similar level of FCS opponent.

Northwestern was the the absolute dog of the Big Ten for many years, but that changed. Wisconsin was mediocre for many years but that changed. Things can change.

Purdue lays an egg with fluky loss - terrible and Brohm sucks. Gophs with fluky/miracle win over a physically overmatched team - everything is fine because (historical example of team XYZ overcoming early struggles).

Lol Gopher win was a miracle now? Purdue lays an egg, yes people are going to take shots at Brohm after hearing so many GOPHER fans chirping for so long about how he is doing so much better than Fleck.

Lol Gopher win was a miracle now? Purdue lays an egg, yes people are going to take shots at Brohm after hearing so many GOPHER fans chirping for so long about how he is doing so much better than Fleck.

I’d classify it as miraculous yes considering how the first 3 1/2 quarters went. The fumble was a huge momentum changer and led to the go ahead TD. Have to give credit for the defense showing up on that last drive to preserve the victory but I was definitely relieved to escape with a win. Maybe you were confident but I certainly wasn’t.

I’d classify it as miraculous yes considering how the first 3 1/2 quarters went. The fumble was a huge momentum changer and led to the go ahead TD. Have to give credit for the defense showing up on that last drive to preserve the victory but I was definitely relieved to escape with a win. Maybe you were confident but I certainly wasn’t.

They fumbled with over 7 minutes left. There was still over 5 minutes left in the game when we scored the go ahead td. It's not like we scored on a hail Mary in the waning seconds. I was relieved to win the game and can't say I was confident prior to the fumble, but there was plenty of time to force a punt and put a drive together had he not fumbled.

I always root for Big Ten teams but found myself pulling for Nevada. Partly because it makes me feel better about only beating SDSU by 7, partially because I want Purdue demoralized with a half empty stadium when we go to West Laffeyette in year 3 of Brohm. I also didn't like that the media picked them ahead of us.

My feelings exactly.

They fumbled with over 7 minutes left. There was still over 5 minutes left in the game when we scored the go ahead td. It's not like we scored on a hail Mary in the waning seconds. I was relieved to win the game and can't say I was confident prior to the fumble, but there was plenty of time to force a punt and put a drive together had he not fumbled.

This. We were down by a point. We didn't even need a touchdown to win the game. Getting a touchdown and the two point conversion certainly provided some extra comfort.....but that game was still very much in toss-up territory right before the fumble.

I didn’t have any confidence in the defense up to that point. Being down with seven minutes to go with a sieve defense and struggling offense wasn’t encouraging. We were extremely fortunate for the turnover deep in SDSU territory.

Will this have any affect on Dan Barreiro's man-crush with Jeff Brohm?
You realize he just plays that up to get at gopher fans, right? It's all an act, just like Reusse.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

You realize he just plays that up to get at gopher fans, right? It's all an act, just like Reusse.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Barreiro is lame. Pretty much the only daily KFAN show that I won't listen to, which is too bad, because I like Gaard.

They've only been eligible to play P5 teams since 2008. They started the move up to DI-AA in 2004. So of course you would say something ridiculous like "since 1990".

Yes, correct, they've played and been competitive in several P5 games. Including putting 41 points up on TCU in 2016, and then almost beating us on Thursday.

he's actually making more of an argument that Gophs are not B1G caliber team.

And here you have it: resorting to ridiculous, illogical contortions, just to avoid losing the argument.

Minnesota, Rutgers, etc. are -- by definition -- Big Ten level.

I guess you want to pretend that only Ohio State qualifies as Big Ten level. Absurd

All I ever said was that SDSU wouldn't finish last in the Big Ten. Which is correct. Doesn't mean they'd win the Big Ten, or even be middling. They might go 1-8 in the conference. But they wouldn't be blown out 80-0 every game, like some of you are pretending to imply.

Gophs with fluky/miracle win over a physically overmatched team

Are you really this glib about college football, or are you just that dishonest for a trolling effect?

SDSU matches up quite well with Big Ten teams from a size and physicality perspective. I'll take our coaching staff's word on that over yours, thank you.

And what part of it was a miracle??? We recovered a fumble but it wasn't a fumble in the end zone as time was running out. We still had to march down the field and score the touchdown, and then prevent them from scoring again.

Unbelievable, the levels you guys stoop to just to try to win an internet argument.

Top Bottom