SDSU is a good team

rugger14

Reaction score
I know we can debate the merits of FPI, Sagarin, etc... But just for reference SDSU is better than a lot of FBS teams and a handful of P5 teams and others you wouldn't think.

SDSU is ranked #68 in Sagarin. Vandy, Arkansas, Colorado, Zona, Kansas, Navy, Illinois, and Rutgers all rated below them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Yeah, they aren’t terrible and were highly motivated but ultimately we squeezed by the 68th best team. If this wasn’t an anomaly we have big problems on the lines and at linebacker. What does that imply for a Big Ten West run and the types of attacks and defenses we’re going to see. SDSU literally ran circles around us. Everything from game plan on offense and defense to individual execution was lacking, big time.

I know we can debate the merits of FPI, Sagarin, etc... But just for reference SDSU is better than a lot of FBS teams and a handful of P5 teams and others you wouldn't think.

SDSU is ranked #68 in Sagarin. Vandy, Arkansas, Colorado, Zona, Kansas, Navy, Illinois, and Rutgers all rated below them.

So lower than they finished last year with a SoS that was ranked 141, which was over 90 spots lower than Gophs SoS.

Saragin had us at -6. So we outperformed Saragin in week 1. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So lower than they finished last year with a SoS that was ranked 141, which was over 90 spots lower than Gophs SoS.

How do you finish 68 with a SOS of 141? You win lots of games, and you win decisively, covering the spread regularly. Not hard to figure out.

How do you finish 68 with a SOS of 141? You win lots of games, and you win decisively, covering the spread regularly. Not hard to figure out.

I think you are missing the point...

So Purdue is playing Nevada which is supposedly a FBS team (although a cupcake) but SDSU would be an 8 point favorite over Nevada on a neutral field.

Yeah, they aren’t terrible and were highly motivated but ultimately we squeezed by the 68th best team. If this wasn’t an anomaly we have big problems on the lines and at linebacker. What does that imply for a Big Ten West run and the types of attacks and defenses we’re going to see. SDSU literally ran circles around us. Everything from game plan on offense and defense to individual execution was lacking, big time.
We will be fine. Bet on it.

Man, I'd love to see what a SDSU vs Nevada game would look like after tonight.

Nevada 99th in Saragin ratings.

I'll take a win over SDSU (#68 and FCS)
over a road loss vs Nevada (#99 and FBS)

Did you know that Jeff Brohm is paid about 40-50% more than PJ Fleck.
Jeff Brohm is top 15 in college football.
PJ is 11th in the Big Ten.

PJ isn't about the paycheck! He did take a pay cut to come here after all.

PJ is paid fairly relative to his peers and accomplishments to date. He's a relatively young coach with a great MAC tenure but still in "prove it mode" at his current job. 11 of 14 seems fair.

Brohm is wildly overpaid because he took a 3 win team and made it a 7 win team one year. One that probably would have improved anyway because they had a pile of returning players. Purdue is desperate to not be awful again so they drove a dump truck of money up to his house.

Purdue chose Brohm over PJ. Brohm has already had another school try and buy him away. There are reasons you have to pay more.

Isn’t Sagarin based heavily on last year? SDSU had an elite QB last year who is now in the NFL. This year they have a freshman QB who quite literally gave away the game. They may end up #68 again, but that team we played Thursday certainly wasn’t.

Purdue chose Brohm over PJ. Brohm has already had another school try and buy him away. There are reasons you have to pay more.

I agree with half of what you are saying. Brohm had been lured so Purdue had to pay more.

But PJ was Purdue's first choice as of the day before this article came out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...j-fleck-coaching-vacancy-jeff-brohm/94825382/

Which makes me wonder if Coyle and Fleck had a discussion taking place at this point or not. If so, good job on Coyle for working the back channels to secure the guy you want.

In fact a few days sooner it appeared Fleck was the guy until a sudden cooling took place.

http://thecomeback.com/thestudentse...e-its-a-500-foot-walk-off-bomb-of-a-hire.html

This was around 11/26/2016. (The date we lost our lead to the Badgers in the second half).

Then we had this GH thread about whether Claeys was gone and that a decision had to be made in 24 hours.
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?71898-Ideal-Timeline

Could Coyle have made that decision at that point getting a hold of Fleck to have him cool on Purdue just in time?

Last edited:

I agree with half of what you are saying. Brohm had been lured so Purdue had to pay more.

But PJ was Purdue's first choice as of the day before this article came out.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...j-fleck-coaching-vacancy-jeff-brohm/94825382/

Which makes me wonder if Coyle and Fleck had a discussion taking place at this point or not. If so, good job on Coyle for working the back channels to secure the guy you want.

In fact a few days sooner it appeared Fleck was the guy until a sudden cooling took place.

http://thecomeback.com/thestudentse...e-its-a-500-foot-walk-off-bomb-of-a-hire.html

I think Minnesota's a better job than Purdue because MSP is a better place to live and recruit to than Lafayette, Indiana. Purdue is also a low spending AD by Big Ten standards, Brohm notwithstanding. Plus you aren't competing in-state with Notre Dame and Indiana for players and attention. PJ probably realized that.

I think Minnesota's a better job than Purdue because MSP is a better place to live and recruit to than Lafayette, Indiana. Purdue is also a low spending AD by Big Ten standards, Brohm notwithstanding. Plus you aren't competing in-state with Notre Dame and Indiana for players and attention. PJ probably realized that.

I just edited the post.

It appears rumors were high on PJ and he suddenly cooled on Purdue right after MN lost to WI.

Hmmm...

Isn’t Sagarin based heavily on last year? SDSU had an elite QB last year who is now in the NFL. This year they have a freshman QB who quite literally gave away the game. They may end up #68 again, but that team we played Thursday certainly wasn’t.

Yup hence my comment that we can debate. Good job.

Sagarin's will vary a good amount these next two weeks probably, but I don't expect SDSU's to drop much after their Week 2 number is out.

I just edited the post.

It appears rumors were high on PJ and he suddenly cooled on Purdue right after MN lost to WI.

Hmmm...

Oh yeah. I forgot that we insist in here that PJ cooled on Purdue and not the other way. He wanted his dream job.

I remember the Purdue search well and have posted other articles to support it was Purdue that cooled on PJ - but of course any report is only as accurate as the “leak”. Some on here still insist we didn’t offer Brady Hoke.

Convincing this crowd that Purdue chose Brohm over Fleck would be like pushing rope.

Oh yeah. I forgot that we insist in here that PJ cooled on Purdue and not the other way. He wanted his dream job.

I remember the Purdue search well and have posted other articles to support it was Purdue that cooled on PJ - but of course any report is only as accurate as the “leak”. Some on here still insist we didn’t offer Brady Hoke.

Convincing this crowd that Purdue chose Brohm over Fleck would be like pushing rope.

Why do we care? Did we want Brohm?

Not sure why we care. That was my point in the “Down goes Purdue” thread (which you just responded to - very odd for someone who doesn’t care). This post you responded to was a reply to FtF about the very subject - so maybe he cares?

I think both guys were obvious choices and to be honest they both ended up at a place where they are a better fit.

Not sure why we care. That was my point in the “Down goes Purdue” thread (which you just responded to - very odd for someone who doesn’t care). This post you responded to was a reply to FtF about the very subject - so maybe he cares?

We care because they are a media darling who plays in the same division and seeing them lose is good for us. It’s not hard.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Who would you say is getting better value?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Who would you say is getting better value?

Well, so far, since taking over one team has improved their record and the other has regressed. Still too early to call tho.

Would I be wrong to assume Sagarin had Purdue ranked higher than Nevada?

I'm not sure if that means anything, especially this early in the season. Doen't Sagarin become more accurate later on in the year?

Top Bottom