'There is hard wins; there is no bad wins,' Gophers coach says after narrow victory

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

U fans hovered over the panic button, or simply left the stadium, until South Dakota State presented a gift fumble to Minnesota in the fourth quarter. The Gophers scored five plays later and added a two-point conversion to escape with a 28-21 season-opening win.

“There is hard wins; there is no bad wins, and that is my message to the football team,” Fleck said in his postgame news conference. “That’s a really good football team out there. People all in here and some other people are going to say, ‘Well, yeah, they are FCS.’ They have a chance to win the national championship at FCS.”

https://www.wctrib.com/sports/footb...ers-coach-says-after-narrow-victory-over-SDSU

Go Gophers!!

South Dakota is a good team. We won despite being sloppy. I believe things will get better. We've got 10 days to deal with it. Advantage of playing on Thursday night. I like that.

per Greder:

U fans hovered over the panic button, or simply left the stadium, until South Dakota State presented a gift fumble to Minnesota in the fourth quarter. The Gophers scored five plays later and added a two-point conversion to escape with a 28-21 season-opening win.

There is hard wins; there is no bad wins, and that is my message to the football team,” Fleck said in his postgame news conference. “That’s a really good football team out there. People all in here and some other people are going to say, ‘Well, yeah, they are FCS.’ They have a chance to win the national championship at FCS.”

https://www.wctrib.com/sports/footb...ers-coach-says-after-narrow-victory-over-SDSU

Go Gophers!!

Basic grammar PJ, please. And while you are at it, how about you stop wasting precious timeouts which are to be used to stop the clock only. And stop punting inside the 50. The other team was at their own 40 right after your punt. The ball is the program, then hang onto it.
I know you work on special teams but that was a horrible display in kicking and coverage. With over 100 players can't you find one who can kick into the end zone?
Why did Rossi have the DBs so far off the receivers?
Also, what happened to your giant offensive line? Morgan was pressured on almost every throw.
Why didn't you make 2nd half adjustments?
This is the most disappointed i've been since the Brewster era.

Basic grammar PJ, please. And while you are at it, how about you stop wasting precious timeouts which are to be used to stop the clock only. And stop punting inside the 50. The other team was at their own 40 right after your punt. The ball is the program, then hang onto it.
I know you work on special teams but that was a horrible display in kicking and coverage. With over 100 players can't you find one who can kick into the end zone?
Also, what happened to your giant offensive line? Morgan was pressured on almost every throw.

Wow. Either you love hyperbole or you've been in a coma a LOT of the past 10 years since Brew.

Also, as far as the grammar, not sure why Andy would write the quote like that, but PJ clearly says "There's hard wins, but there are no bad wins."

He 100% did not say "there is no bad wins". Check it out for yourself in the first 15 seconds here: https://youtu.be/jBZmObYoPa0

I agree there are no bad wins. If we lose a game, can I assume he will be equally emphatic that there are no good losses?

1. I assume he changed what he was going to say half-way through his sentence. There is no bad win. There is no bad wins. If this was written in his book after being edited, I'd be more upset.
2. The timeout burning is starting to bother me, but I believe he had split luck on it. One one, they gave up the 4th down conversion. The other they elected to punt which turned out to be a decent call although it didn't seem like it at the time.
3. Special teams - yeh, it stunk.
4. They didn't seem to know what to expect with SDSU it appears.
5. Offensive line play was bad. Do you prefer PJ go into the season saying the line is inexperienced and young and not very good? Not sure what your point is there. They are GIANT. That's still true.
6. "Second half adjustments" are a hoax. Coaches make adjustments throughout the game, but halftime has very little "adjustments" going on by the head coach. Coordinators and position coaches are doing most of those changes, not the head coach.

If you are that disappointed we won't expect to see you back.

I agree there are no bad wins. If we lose a game, can I assume he will be equally emphatic that there are no good losses?

That's not something he ever said.
You obviously haven't been listening.

A loss is just an outcome. It doesn't reflect how well you play. Also, if you fail but learn, you are not a failure. You only become a failure when you quit trying to improve.

That's not something he ever said.
You obviously haven't been listening.

A loss is just an outcome. It doesn't reflect how well you play. Also, if you fail but learn, you are not a failure. You only become a failure when you quit trying to improve.

Does this mean the Illinois loss was really much better than it looked? Set the Kool-Aid down, I think there is something funny in it. This is football. Sometimes you can play really well and still lose (Think tOSU game last year for us). Sometimes you get blown out of the building by inferior teams (like Maryland, Illinois, and Nebraska). All four count as losses in the standings. When you are a football coach, losses matter, no matter what flavor they come in.

Top Bottom