Fleck’s takeaway on Gophers’ too-close Game 1 victory: ‘We’ve got to block better’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers quarterback Tanner Morgan was sacked twice and was pressured on a handful of other occasions. One twist toward the right side of the Gophers offensive line had success to pressure Morgan. The first sack came when tight end Jake Paulson whiffed on a block in the second quarter. Later, a twist to the left side of the Gophers’ offensive line netted a sack in the third quarter.

Meanwhile, in the run game, Rodney Smith had 92 yards (4.4 average) on 21 carries, and Mo Ibrahim had 36 yards (3.0 per rush) his 12 rushes.

But Fleck put the offensive line struggles on himself.

“I thought our running backs ran really hard,” he said. “We’ve got to block better. I thought we were inconsistent up front. Again, that starts with me. I’ve got to get more out of it. I’ve got to get more out of them. I’ve got to be able to make sure they do it better.

“But there were also some times when we needed some big yards and they were able to do it. We need more consistency.”

https://www.brainerddispatch.com/sp...se-Game-1-victory-‘We’ve-got-to-block-better’

Go Gophers!!

I'm not so sure if its on Fleck. Players knew what to do. Its on them to perform.

Last night felt like we are back in the failed Mass Kicks Ass era. Need more of those Mason era fleet wrestler types

I would flip Andries to right guard and Dunlap to left guard. Faelele needs Andries athleticism and quickness knowledge off the ball. Schleuter needs Dunlaps strength by him. Tight ends who knows nine of them blocked well first game.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I would flip Andries to right guard and Dunlap to left guard. Faelele needs Andries athleticism and quickness knowledge off the ball. Schleuter needs Dunlaps strength by him. Tight ends who knows nine of them blocked well first game.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Which tight end blocked well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is the TE staying in to block on a passing play?!?!

God that bugs me. You're taking the blocking duties out of the hands of your guys who are blockers, and taking a guy who is supposed to be out there running a route, out of the passing lanes!

NOT SMART.

Get the danged TE out running routes, Ciarrocca!! Enough of your 3 routes passing plays!! That crap might've worked at Western Michigan, it doesn't work here!

Caiarrocca rarely uses TEs other than to block. IMHO, that has to change quickly when you have a talented player like Brevyn Spann-Ford.

I'm not so sure if its on Fleck. Players knew what to do. Its on them to perform.

Right. Nothing on the coaches. Game plan was awesome, adjustments were spot on, time management could not have been better.

Give me a break.

“I thought our running backs ran really hard,” he said. “We’ve got to block better. I thought we were inconsistent up front. Again, that starts with me. I’ve got to get more out of it. I’ve got to get more out of them. I’ve got to be able to make sure they do it better.

“But there were also some times when we needed some big yards and they were able to do it. We need more consistency.”

Yes, Coach; you nailed it.

The first step in getting things back on the right track is recognizing exactly where the problems are. Fleck obviously gets it.

Blocking is Priority One this Week.

Getting better play from our front 7 on defense is close behind, Priority 1A. They have to find a way to get pressure up front.

We are about to step up in weight class.

Right. Nothing on the coaches. Game plan was awesome, adjustments were spot on, time management could not have been better.

Give me a break.

The (lack of) adjustments are most upsetting to me. Even if you want to buy that it was hard to prepare because of a new (bad) QB, new OC, and no film to break down - why could we not figure it out as the game went on? The 3rd Quarter was the worst of the 4.

All the complaining here sounds like Brewster is head coach in his last year. What a shame. It was a rough start against a good team. Blah, blah, blah the sky fell on the fans.

I think he meant "none" rather than "nine." This is why I never do any serious typing on my phone.
Wait, Gopherholers do serious typing? [emoji848][emoji41]

Give me a break.

You got all of that from a poster saying the poor blocking wasn’t on the coach? Seems like a reasonable response.

You got all of that from a poster saying the poor blocking wasn’t on the coach? Seems like a reasonable response.

No, I think he got that from watching the game. We didn't use our strengths. We didn't play well. We didn't make adjustments. Ex: They ran around either end like our DL and LB's we were forbidden to do anything about it but watch.

You are asking if he got that a poster was saying it wasn’t on the coaches from a post where the poster said it wasn’t on the coaches?

Regarding PJ's quote. When the team does well, he praises the players and the position coaches.
When they have issues, he says it's on himself.

This is the second year where he has done that clearly. (Last year with Robb Smith he was doing it until he had to pull the plug).

It's what I would want in any leader.

Did they make any adjustments to correct things by 4th quarter? 3rd quarter was bad, but fourth may have been better.

In any case, the line has to do a lot better. They looked bad and whoever you want to blame for that, I'm fine with.

Regarding PJ's quote. When the team does well, he praises the players and the position coaches.
When they have issues, he says it's on himself.

This is the second year where he has done that clearly. (Last year with Robb Smith he was doing it until he had to pull the plug).

It's what I would want in any leader.

Overstated, for sure.

My favorite was last year after (Maryland?) - whatever game Howden really struggled - I’ll never forget PJ saying (maybe not exact): “this is on me, not the players. I’m the one who chose to play a freshman that wasn’t ready. I’m the one that chose to play a freshman that couldn’t tackle, etc.”. I’ll also remember after the cult saying, “see, he takes the blame”.

With that said, yes - he often does, legitimately. But not always.

Why is the TE staying in to block on a passing play?!?!

God that bugs me. You're taking the blocking duties out of the hands of your guys who are blockers, and taking a guy who is supposed to be out there running a route, out of the passing lanes!

NOT SMART.

Get the danged TE out running routes, Ciarrocca!! Enough of your 3 routes passing plays!! That crap might've worked at Western Michigan, it doesn't work here!

Our OT's need help blocking guys on the edge, they aren't always going to be able to do it by themselves on an island. Plus Pauslon, Witham and Kieft aren't very good receivers anyways.

Overstated, for sure.

My favorite was last year after (Maryland?) - whatever game Howden really struggled - I’ll never forget PJ saying (maybe not exact): “this is on me, not the players. I’m the one who chose to play a freshman that wasn’t ready. I’m the one that chose to play a freshman that couldn’t tackle, etc.”. I’ll also remember after the cult saying, “see, he takes the blame”.

That was Maryland. Howden's worst game by far. (PJ mentioned this earlier this year how that was a bad game for Howden but he got better).

Maybe Fleck needs to start wearing a visor. All of the great coaches seem to wear them these days.

Maybe Fleck needs to start wearing a visor. All of the great coaches seem to wear them these days.

As a visor wearing guy I agree.

Then again Brew liked visors.

You are asking if he got that a poster was saying it wasn’t on the coaches from a post where the poster said it wasn’t on the coaches?

Huh?

As a bald guy I'd say a visor seems like an odd choice for a bald guy.

Since he doesn’t wear a hat, his scalp is exposed to the sun anyway. Visors make coaches look like they know what they’re doing.

Overstated, for sure.

You are easily the most pathetic and annoying poster on this bored.

I think PJ should push all in...go with the fishing hat...you know with the hooks, lures and bobbers hanging and jiggling on there. I can see him sprinting with one hand holding it on. He’d be unique! Nobody else does that!
Row the boat!
Maybe not though...how about a Gopher baseball cap PJ?

You are easily the most pathetic and annoying poster on this bored.

Not only that, I also make things up, struggle with statistics, want the Gophers to fail, and write for the Strib. (board, btw)

Top Bottom